Manual 6 speed, pops out of reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clayg

Reaction score
I bought a 2005 Liberty Sport (2.4L) several months ago. It has around 135k miles. I understood that the clutch was replaced somewhere in the 100k range.

When I put the manual transmission into reverse, it usually pops right out when I start to let out the clutch so I end up having to hold the gear shifter into place to keep that from happening. No other clutch or gear selection issues other than this reverse gear.

Do I need clutch work again?

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of 07+ wranglers and others that use the same 6 speed that have this problem when you go to search for it.

Many were fixed by installing a short shifter (most pricey one I've ever seen, waiting till I have shifter problems before spending the $$$) and a small % were not.

If you wanted a short shifter either way, wouldn't be horrible to give that a try. There's a foam isolator ring you'll want to buy, as the factory one usually gets destroyed, and possible lowering (but not removing) transmission to get proper access. I hear it is quite notchy for those not used to a short shifter, too stiff for some.

Latest posts

Members online