Mamba MR-1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been trying to do some maths with The Mamba MR-1 and the moabs. Basically trying to learn from anybody elses mistakes. I'm partial to the gunmetal looking ones.

Both are 8 inch wide but I can't seem to find confirmed backspacing on the Moabs and corresponding offset. Chart on offset and other things thread says for 5 inch BS (as listed on Quadratec) offset is 12. But was sure from forum crawling I was almost positive I saw 4.75 somewhere so I'd kick this up again.

Link to moabs

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92702_000_07.htm

Mamba MR-1
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92615_11X0_B_PG.htm

In short the MR-1's have 5.08 and 13mm offset. By my maths This seems Pretty close.

Using chart numbers

IE Distance to Center Line from Rim edge:
Moab: 5*2.54+1.2 = 13.9 cm
MR-1: 5.08*2.54+1.3 = 14.2 cm

or 3mm discrepancy in wheel position (inward, i think...). less than 1/8 inch in american.

Finding Moabs up here including shipping is pretty much inline with new MR-1. Basically looking for confirmation that this isn't a huge mistake.

Lastly, I've read the concerns of 245/75/16 's on 8 inch rims, Did the 255/70/16 rub on the sway bar much? I'd prefer the 245's but will concede for safety if there's a horror story. Would prefer the Height to increased tread width. Pretty sure I'm doing Destination AT's 245 in C load. Otherwise its P rating for 255.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Moabs are 5 inch backspacing
Plus they are made stronger, they are forged whereas the knockoffs are cast
265-70s work well on Moabs as well

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never thought of forged vs cast.

Most of the threads I've seen on 265 70 16 are on stock rims recommending spacers and the like to get away from the UCA rub.

On the moabs, is it just reshaping with the heat gun for the inner liner plus pinch weld or have we got serious cutting to happen? Still sitting on the right side of 22.5 up front.

I'm all for it if its just reshaping as I've got patience and a heat gun, I just picky about a hack job inside the fenders.

Pretty sure 90% of my questions could be taken care of looking at a set on moabs but appreciate the feedback.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I ran 265-70s on Moabs for a short while
no problems rubbing sway bar
As far as flares/inner fender not sure since I have the ARB up there
but assume some minor reshaping should take care of it if needed

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running 265/70R16 Wrangler Silent Armors on Moabs with a Frankenlift II Premium. You'll need to flatten the pinch weld, and do some reshaping or trimming at the front of the wheel well. Just a little more than needed for 245/75R16's, which I just replaced. The stance is great. I really believe it's worth a little extra effort to make them fit. Personally, I would go with the Moabs since they are forged.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After several months of looking for original moabs, I've ordered the MR-1.

Probably 245 75 duratracs load C in the future. got them priced at 229 in town. Couple bucks cheaper at Canadian tire but I'd prefer not to go there.

Not really all over the tire choices in 265 70 from what I've seen.

going to one set of tires for year round now with capability in snow, so the duratracs seem to fit the bill better then the silent armors in 265.

Also might have factory Chrome 17's sold soon.

couple weeks away from some trimming and pounding when it warms up.