Magnaflow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was considering a magnaflow based on their claimed performance increase. I was wondering if anyone has one and if they noticed an increase in performance at all. Magnaflow's numbers seem to be quite impressive, but those are the manufacture's numbers so they could be a little inflated.

I know Bennett posted a sound clip on the board, but I was wondering how loud it actually is. Is it considerably louder than stock and is there any drowning inside the cabin?

Thanks

deboy922

Reaction score
Eddo - No good info from me. I am in the same boat, shopping for a Magnaflow or Flowmaster. Keep us informed on what you do. I think that I am leaning towards the Flowmaster 50 Series.

Jason
2003 Liberty

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
heard magnaflows up close...they sound great....
tho i havnt sat in KJ with one...(was either in front of, or behind one) and the buzz is somewhat noticable, but only when the gas is stepped on.
the 2 owners i know of have said, you really dont notice it much...from the ambient road noise, and radio, etc.....and apperantly, if you have big knobby tires..(according to Jan Cohen..) you really cant tell...LOL

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
If I had to buy an exhaust again. It would definetly be magnaflow without a question.

My exhaust is going to be a bit louder than normal, since I have a free flow cat. The times you hear it the most is when you floor it, but generally driving through the city it is fairly quite for a free flow muffler. It is noticable, but not in a bad way.

It also isn't that loud inside either, the back seat passengers might hear it more tho.

But to put it into perspective, you hear my M/T tires more than you hear the exhaust inside. I think I have the same tires as Janco.

Bennett

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Bennett did you notice any preformance increase with the magnaflow or is too close to really tell.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Eddo said:
Hey Bennett did you notice any preformance increase with the magnaflow or is too close to really tell.

Yes, the can notice it. Throttle reponse also increases quite a bit.
It also help my mpg as well by like 1~2 mpg.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
my next question to u sir is, do u have a k and n filter (of any sort, drop in, FIPK?) or anything similar..I know u jumped to synthetic recently too.

so 1-2 mpg, with the magnaflow alone...figure i gained about 2-3 with synth and k and n combo....so figure about 4-5 mpg gain with all 3?......nice theoretical numbers.......LoL.....(of course if ur just running stock, w/o lift/M/T's)

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
SiLveRLiB2k2 said:
my next question to u sir is, do u have a k and n filter (of any sort, drop in, FIPK?) or anything similar..I know u jumped to synthetic recently too.

so 1-2 mpg, with the magnaflow alone...figure i gained about 2-3 with synth and k and n combo....so figure about 4-5 mpg gain with all 3?......nice theoretical numbers.......LoL.....(of course if ur just running stock, w/o lift/M/T's)

Yup K&N cone filter, BoeserBlick, gave me his old tube so all I hadda do is buy the cone. But I also have a K&N dropin for my factory setup, if I ever choose to go back to that one.

4-5, if I didn't run a lift then I might be seeing numbers in the 20's like I used to prelift, rack, and tires. Right now, I figure that if I didn't have any of the intake, exhaust I'd probably be seeing single digit numbers. #-o

Bennett

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of mpg numbers are you seeing now Bennett?

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, since I took my basket off, about 14 to 17 on the highway (if I follow a semi truck/trailer then my trip computer will register 21 mpg, which I do a lot of the time.) and my trip computer avg right now is exactly 12.0

With the basket on, I noticed that drops it down about 2mpg. (But it's not from the basket, but rather the light mounted on the basket that cause suck a aero dynamic drag)

But, Generally, I will see about 180 to 210 miles a tank and my tank is 18.5 gal BUT also factor in that my speedo is 5% slow. So If I am going 60 on the mph guage, then I really am going about 63

Bennett

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for so many questions. But what kind of speeds are those at? Also what where you getting before any mods?

Right now I can get 21-22 on the highway and that is usually going around 75mph. So I expect mine to drop a little once lifted and new tires are installed.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, lets put this a different way.

I have a wife and a young daughter. Is my wife going to complain about the excess noise if I do a magnaflow? I totally want to.

-Blu

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Eddo said:
Sorry for so many questions. But what kind of speeds are those at? Also what where you getting before any mods?

Right now I can get 21-22 on the highway and that is usually going around 75mph. So I expect mine to drop a little once lifted and new tires are installed.

The speeds are varied from city to highway, normally all highway you'll get anywhere between 13 to 17 depending on conditions. I rarely speed above 67, but it gets worse the faster you go. The city is pretty close to about 14 mpg I would say.

I used to get what you are getting now, before the lift and all.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
Ok, lets put this a different way.

I have a wife and a young daughter. Is my wife going to complain about the excess noise if I do a magnaflow? I totally want to.

-Blu

Na, its not that bad. It's considered QUIET compared to a mustang V8 with an exhaust.

How tolerant are they of noises? It's quieter than being in an airplane.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Bennett said:
Yup K&N cone filter, BoeserBlick, gave me his old tube so all I hadda do is buy the cone. But I also have a K&N dropin for my factory setup, if I ever choose to go back to that one.

4-5, if I didn't run a lift then I might be seeing numbers in the 20's like I used to prelift, rack, and tires. Right now, I figure that if I didn't have any of the intake, exhaust I'd probably be seeing single digit numbers. #-o

Bennett

I think my highest recorded was about 23 highway (mid way up to canada, my mileage steadily went up each fill up from about 19, 21, 23 with 5 ppl, and full of luggage...going about 70-75...was kinda suprised myself)....thats just with the k and n, and pre synth....city wise, since moving to synth, i get about 16-17, if im easy on the gas, and traffic is moving pretty well....prior to synth..i got about 14 sometimes less....with higher tire pressure...im probably at 18...(havnt done any calculations yet...) so if I move up to a magnaflow, i could see maybe 25-26 highway, 18-19 city maybe about 21 mixed.....im due up for an oil change...so, i'll calculate with higher psi, with new oil...and see what my numbers are city...

Latest posts

Members online