LTT Extended UCA's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After installing my DIY Frankie, I was having UCA to Spring contact at full droop (like when I would hit potholes or speed bumps) We all know that is not a good thing. So that is why I had requested a busted UCA from anyone on here. I was hoping to come up with a way to remove the OEM ball joint, and put a Moog UBJ on there that allowed for camber adjustment. After looking at it for a while, I concluded that was not an easily do-able idea. But I COULD extend the arm by replacing the rubber bushing with a new one that had an offset hole. So here are a few shots of what I came up with. The black material is ABS plastic. The center has a steel bushing press-fit into it. I have had these in for about 2000 miles so far and they are holding up just fine. I pulled them yesterday to inspect, and they look great so far. My initial concern was vibration or rough ride since I was replacing the rubber bushing with a hard plastic. But they ride great. I effectively extended the control arms by 1/4". It was just the right amount to eliminate the UCA to spring contact I was having. Rides great now.

So what do you think?

You must be registered for see images attach

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only problem I see is that little metal tab sticking out that interlocks into the metal housing which is pressed into the UCA,the silver tab in the pic below.

With that tab the UCA can not pivot like it is supposed to and will...........

1-rip out of the bushing when flexed
2-break the plastic bushing
3-cause the bushing metal sleeve to turn in the UCA thus causing play in the UCA which can lead the major failure(IE breaking).
4-making the bushing rotate in the UCA pocket which leads to lose UCA bolts and/or melting the plastic bushing which again will result in major failure.

Not a good idea at all,either way you look at it without using a flexible material it will always end up in major failure.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The metal tab you mention is actually a 1/8" steel dowel pin. It is press fit into the ABS and the Steel. It is designed to hold the ABS for rotating within the steel collar of the control arm. It rotates the same way as the stock UCA. The stock bushing has a steel sleeve thru the middle of it. That is the same as I have. Stock UCA rotates freely up and down when torqued to proper tightness. And there is actually a slip-fit between the ABS and the steel sleeve on mine. Therefore, the steel can stay statically bound from the torqued down bolts. The ABS bushing and arm rotate about that. It is lubricated between the steel inner sleeve and the ABS bushing as well. The plastic I.D. may wear over time. But I am aware of that and will be watching it carefully. Major or catastrophic failure? I don't think so. The worst that happens is the steel bushing gets loose inside the plastic causing a little play. As I said, I will be watching that. If it wears, I will re-design.

Last edited:

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could also possibly do something to the same effect by elongating the upper control arm mounting holes to work similar in design to the LCA mounting holes using a cam-shaped plate to adjust camber.

Good work on the spacer, but why ABS? could you possibly get a set made using polyurethane?

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool LTT. Glad to see the pioneering spirit is alive and well. I'll take back the snips about the invisible drivetrain now. Don't risk assess too much, that impedes progress.:D

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are these working for you? Im thinking of having you send me a pair if they work well, and it will avoid me having to buy the JBA arms

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are working pretty good so far. I have actually gone thru a few iterations before I got a good stable design. I think I have a design that others could make out of HDPE bar stock if you have access to a lathe and a drill press. I think the HDPE would be more wear resistant than the ABS, but the ABS is holding up fine so far. The latest set I have in there has about 5k miles on them. Just pulled them out to inspect a couple weeks ago. Looking good - very little wear.

Latest posts

Members online