LSD for KJ -- any suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to put a limited slip differential on my 2003 rocky mountain
kj with stock open diff.

Does anybody have any advice or suggestions on any of the brands offered out there , in terms of ease of installation and, of course, performance.

i would hopefully like something that i can install myself if there is one out there that is just kind of like a plug'n'play deal.
I am kinda mechanically inclined but know nothing about reinstalling diff gears if i would have to take everything out to install the LSD.

thanks in advance.............

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the powertrax noslip. Almost all LSDs are going to require a carrier replacement. With that comes measure the backlash and setting back on install.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a Powertrax in my open diff Columbia. I love it, fine on orad and certainly has gotten me places with the SRA tires offroad I wouldnt have thought possible without it!

Install wasnt so bad, I'd seen the inside of a rear diff prior to the install. Hardest part was figuring out what the technical name for all the stuff in the diff was. Instructions were a bit over my head with tech terms for some of it.

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trac-Lok

Mine also came with the open differrential. Picked up an OEM Trac-Lok from one of the forums from someone who was upgrading to a locker. I paid to have it installed -- thought the set-up would be tricky. The open diff. came out and this dropped right in -- easy if yo know what you're doing. Works great! One of my favorite improvements. Total cost (including installation) about $400.

I think it's worth it to have it installed if you don't have experience with differentials/carriers.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a kid at school in a libby that i thought had a factory ls. The other day he was playing around in some mud and had one tire on a side walk and another in some mud(dont ask) and he was just barely moving(in 2wd), then when he got back into mud both tires started spinnning again. Will a ls not help u that much in that situation or something?

Another question. ive always heard a locker will unlock when u let off the gas so it dosent do anything stupid in a turn (tire hop). But where i live i have to come up a hill doing about 2-5mph and take a huge turn. Im usually on the gas alot because the hill is so big. The question i have is, would the locker stay locked and hop everywhere, probably breaking an axle after doing this so many times? or would it still unlock even though im on the gas heavyly. The reason im talking about lockers is, i dont want a ls, dont think it would help me enough for what im wanting to do.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Will a ls not help u that much in that situation or something?

AFAIK a LS will have these two net results. Either neither tire will spin or both tires will spin.

If you're going gently on the throttle, the torque will be distributed in an effort to keep the wheels from spinning, however dump huge torque to the axle and you'll get both wheels spinning. The LSD cannot trim back the power, it can only change the distribution of it if there's too much torque, both wheels will break loose.

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
much thanks

Thanks all for the suggestions...

I think i will go for the powertrax no-slip as i have also read good stuff about it at JU forums also.
Probably just get somebody to do the install too rather than take any chances myself on a vehicle with only 20,000kms. on it.

Now i just have to source one out up here in canada so i dont pay through the nose in duties.....been there, done that.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
powertrax is definetly the way to go. I've been wanting one.

I probably could install it, but I don't want to mess any of the internal components up.

just curios, how much did you guys pay to get it installed? and was it a local dealer or a auto shop?

Bennett

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly if you've got the tools and can do simple stuff like suspension then the powertrax should be easy for you too. I did mine and till the install I'd never seen the inside of a diff before. Set aside some time and you'll be fine.

steveb

Reaction score
[just curios, how much did you guys pay to get it installed? and was it a local dealer or a auto shop?]

Had mine installed at Drive Line Service of Las Vegas - $510 complete.

Latest posts

Members online