lower rear control arm, bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed rust and perforation on the outer shell of the rear lower control arm bushings. It's a 2003, so not part of the recall. The control arms look good.
Any advice appreciated, should we replace bushings or the entire lower control arms? Thanks!

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
MOPAR 52088682AB is the original, but superceded by 52088682AC. Is the 'C' version the one to get?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks!
MOPAR 52088682AB is the original, but superceded by 52088682AC. Is the 'C' version the one to get?
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think the "C" revision is the one they are putting on the recall Jeeps. (I had mine done last winter.)

I've had other parts for my '07 which were listed as "B" originally but the "C" part was all that was available. All worked out fine.

TorrentIV

A Leaf on the Wind
Reaction score
I've got 2 sets of control arms (and 3 rear ends, different story), unrusted as I'm in CenTex and it will suck the moisture out of everything.
Is it still better to get new ones rather than replace the bushings? Or are these gonna be fence decorations? More on road than off, if that makes a difference.

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the OEM Mopar ones from Rock Auto, 52088682AC. Identical to the original ones on the 2003. Just wondering if I should wait before trying to replace them, and buy all new nuts and bolts, since I'm in Maryland, where they use liberal amounts of mag chloride and salt in the winter.
The rubber bushings are good on the old ones, just the metal outer shell has rusted through where you can look in and see the bushing (looking from the rear). I plan to replace these soon, but wondering how urgent replacement is? I mean, will we notice pulling or something as the sleeve disintegrates? I know it's not the best to leave it as it is, but is it likely to fly apart? The rubber bushings look good and the arms themselves also look good, not rusty. Thanks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would replace them ASAP
When they get really bad you will know it, taking off it will " walk " one way, letting off suddenly it will " walk " the other way

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
Would you recommend new hardware? I'm not sure how hard the stuff will be to remove and don't want to get in a jam (my son drives the Jeep to work five days a week and I get like one day to work on it).
Thanks again Tom, I appreciate your advice and expertise.
Tom (another Tom :))

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered new bolts, just in case. I read a few posts where people mentioned the bolt rusting to the sleeve. Figure, it's a good idea to have the new hardware in case the old fasteners don't cooperate. Maryland road salt = rust.