Lower control arm replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m replacing rear upper and lower control arms, and on the passenger side, my muffler is blocking me from removing the body side bolt of the lower control arm. Any suggestions on how to get it out without removing the muffler?

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just undo the two bolts on the flange directly in front of the muffler. The muffler will then just be hanging from the two exhaust hangers, and you can push it to the side far enough to get plenty of space to remove the bolt.

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just undo the two bolts on the flange directly in front of the muffler. The muffler will then just be hanging from the two exhaust hangers, and you can push it to the side far enough to get plenty of space to remove the bolt.
That worked. Thank you sir!

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now I have a different issue. The bolt on the passenger side upper arm just spins part way out. Is there a way to get to the other side without cutting carpet?

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try just pulling the bolt downwards, while rocking the control arm back and forth. If the sleeve in the bushing is not perfectly aligned with the holes in the bracket, it puts enough pressure on the bolt to make it very hard to get it out. If I remember correctly there's only an inch or so of threading in the nutserts that the bolt threads into.

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try just pulling the bolt downwards, while rocking the control arm back and forth. If the sleeve in the bushing is not perfectly aligned with the holes in the bracket, it puts enough pressure on the bolt to make it very hard to get it out. If I remember correctly there's only an inch or so of threading in the nutserts that the bolt threads into.
So I got the bolt out. The sleeve in the bushing was my problem after all, which is much better than what I thought was happening. The sleeve damaged the threads on the bolt, which is why it got stuck and was just spinning. Now to get new bolts so I can get the new control arm in.