Lower Ball Joints and Front Coil Overs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbh

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to the forum so I hope I am posting in the right place. I have a 2003 Liberty Sport with 106K miles. It started making a loud banging noise on the right front when hitting a bump while turning left. I jacked it up and I can see that the lower ball joint boot is torn and I can lift the joint about a 1/16 of an inch, seems pretty lose. With the car sitting on the ground it appears to be leaning to the right a little more than one inch (that is I have about and inch less clearance between the tire and wheel well on the right than on the left). Also the front tires are wearing on the inside toe. The tires are about 6months old and have noticeable inside toe wear. I am thinking I need to replace the lower ball joints both sides and replace the coil over shocks and then get an alignment. I have searched the thread and the internet and cannot find really good instructions. One thing I was trying to figure out is can I do this without separating the upper ball joint? If I separate the lower ball joint, tie rod, remove the lower clevis bolt and sway bar linkage and remove the axle nut can I pull the steering knuckle off the axle with separating the upper ball joint? I saw some pictures on the internet where someone used a puller to pull the steering knuckle off the axle but they were completely removing the knuckle so the upper ball joint was loose.

Any help with instructions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
You could make that work but it would be much easier if you could get the entire knuckle off and place it in a vice to use the ball joint puller/separator. The only other things prohibiting the entire knuckle removal is the CV Axle nut if you have a 4x4 and the upper ball joint. The CV nut is a 36mm you can rent a socket from a local parts store and the upper ball joint removed just like the lower, remove the pin and nut then give the cast knuckle a few good hits with a big hammer and it should come free. Reverse those steps when replacing it and you'll be golden.

Side note you posted in the KK Section. No harm nor fowl however, 2002-2007 model libertys are classified as KJ's the 2008-2012 I believe are classified as KK's. If you go back to the main page you'll see there are separate sections for each and their own topic boards. Good luck!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to the forum so I hope I am posting in the right place. I have a 2003 Liberty Sport with 106K miles. It started making a loud banging noise on the right front when hitting a bump while turning left. I jacked it up and I can see that the lower ball joint boot is torn and I can lift the joint about a 1/16 of an inch, seems pretty lose. With the car sitting on the ground it appears to be leaning to the right a little more than one inch (that is I have about and inch less clearance between the tire and wheel well on the right than on the left). Also the front tires are wearing on the inside toe. The tires are about 6months old and have noticeable inside toe wear. I am thinking I need to replace the lower ball joints both sides and replace the coil over shocks and then get an alignment. I have searched the thread and the internet and cannot find really good instructions. One thing I was trying to figure out is can I do this without separating the upper ball joint? If I separate the lower ball joint, tie rod, remove the lower clevis bolt and sway bar linkage and remove the axle nut can I pull the steering knuckle off the axle with separating the upper ball joint? I saw some pictures on the internet where someone used a puller to pull the steering knuckle off the axle but they were completely removing the knuckle so the upper ball joint was loose.

Any help with instructions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Much easier to remove the spindle and get it out where you can work on it. Just a couple of more steps to do it all .
Sounds like you need quite a bit with new springs and shocks / ball joints, check the uppers close. Picked up an 03 with 81,000 miles and it had drivers side upper ball joint gone
Measure from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare , new it would of been 19 inches, see how much yours has sagged

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think his year is covered under the recall, and according to a mechanic I know who is a jeep mechanic once a item is recalled if you have a problem with it they will replace it for free under the recall.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I think his year is covered under the recall, and according to a mechanic I know who is a jeep mechanic once a item is recalled if you have a problem with it they will replace it for free under the recall.

Maybe but I'd just do it myself and get the good greaseable Moogs and be done. When that recall came out back in 05 I just did my own and knew it had much better parts