Loud clunk in front after OME lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rmack

Reaction score
I had a full OME lift installed recently, and now there is a loud clunk in the front end when hitting speed bumps or potholes, mostly on the passenger side but sometimes the driver side also. I took it back to the shop where it was installed and they think that the 927 OME springs are rubbing against the frame, and causing the clunking noise. Anybody ever have this happen, it is quite annoying.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
First though is, did they torque the suspension bolts to spec with the weight of the Jeep on the ground? If they tightened everything with the Jeep in the air, annoying noises are common.

Second thought is, the springs can hit the upper control arms (not the frame) at full droop, but this shouldn’t happen regularly unless you lifted it more than 3 inches. In that case you need JBA upper control arms which are designed to minimize contact and help you dial in a better alignment once lifted.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had exactly the same issue after I installed my lift (OME springs + Bilsteins + clevis) but it was just on the passenger side. I suspect the stock upper control arm was hitting the spring but I could never see any evidence of contact?? Anyway, I installed some RRO upper control arms a couple of weeks ago which solved the problem and the ride seems more refined - a very worthwhile upgrade IMHO. Also, I don't cringe every time I look at the angle of the balljoints any more :) My only concern is that I'm now just outside of the alignment specs for camber and caster. Camber is maxed as negative as possible at about +3/8 degree. It feels fine but I'd prefer if it were 0 degrees (as the springs sag over time I'm hoping it will get there). I don't know if the JBA UCAs would allow for in-spec alignment or not. The only reason I went with RRO was because of the non-proprietary ball joints (Moog) and bushings (Mopar). Anyway, those are your options so I'd recommend you do your research and pull the trigger on one of those - it'll hurt a little but best $400 you'll ever spend.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jbas will also take a moog ball joint and stock bushings if in a pinch

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I had exactly the same issue after I installed my lift (OME springs + Bilsteins + clevis) but it was just on the passenger side. I suspect the stock upper control arm was hitting the spring but I could never see any evidence of contact?? Anyway, I installed some RRO upper control arms a couple of weeks ago which solved the problem and the ride seems more refined - a very worthwhile upgrade IMHO. Also, I don't cringe every time I look at the angle of the balljoints any more :) My only concern is that I'm now just outside of the alignment specs for camber and caster. Camber is maxed as negative as possible at about +3/8 degree. It feels fine but I'd prefer if it were 0 degrees (as the springs sag over time I'm hoping it will get there). I don't know if the JBA UCAs would allow for in-spec alignment or not. The only reason I went with RRO was because of the non-proprietary ball joints (Moog) and bushings (Mopar). Anyway, those are your options so I'd recommend you do your research and pull the trigger on one of those - it'll hurt a little but best $400 you'll ever spend.
Haven't been working on KJs long have you , if so then you would know you can install Moog ball joints in JBAs and is what they originally came with back in the day, The new ball joints are great though, and much better than any Moog or any other maker out there
oh whoops duderz beat me too it

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up the new style bushings for my jbas along with a ball joint rebuild kit. The new bushings look really nice. Looking forward to putting them in. Building a garage and using that as a motivation to do the work in a new garage.

rmack

Reaction score
I am suspecting the same thing, and went ahead and ordered a pair of JBA UCA’s.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't been working on KJs long have you , if so then you would know you can install Moog ball joints in JBAs and is what they originally came with back in the day, The new ball joints are great though, and much better than any Moog or any other maker out there
LOL the passengers side ball joint on mine is for a Chevy Suburban (K6292) because I was in a pinch at one point. The other side is still the JBA original from 2011-ish. I plan to replace both ball joints with new JBA’s at some point soon. Lower ball joints are Moog.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
JBA on top. Moog on the bottom.
Proper use of a grease gun: priceless.

(because most folks use grease guns wrong and **** out the seals)

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Okay, seriously? B.l.o.w?

I’ll point out that the Fossil Forum uses the same software and adjusted their filter…cuz they couldn’t use b.o.n.e on a science forum about dead animals

I mean, for chrissake, you can’t use W.i.l.l.y.s or l.ub.e on a Jeep forum? ( but a religious epithet is OK!?!?!?)

I’m all for family friendly, but this is draconian.

whoever bought the upgrade needs to get their money back.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Tom, if needed, one could install other ball joints in jbas control arms like Moog? I had worries of if I purchased jba uppers, and they stopped making them I would never be able to find a ball joint replacement for them.