Loss of power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobertPH

Reaction score
Took a trailer load of rubbish to the dump the other day - on the way home my vehicle started to loose power and rattled like it was running on two cylinders with the other two misfiring. Very scary experience.
No power to run with but I kinda got home at about 10 kl and hour. Turned off and looked under the bonnet - nothing. Turned back on to see if it would start and it's now running like a brand new bought one ?? go figure. Any one had this experience before ? I'm at a loss as to what caused it.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I hate to say it but you may have encountered a solar flare...just kidding.
That's a major electrical hick up that happened somehow, ignition or sensor related?
Did the engine light come on, or was it flashing?

RobertPH

Reaction score
I hate to say it but you may have encountered a solar flare...just kidding.
That's a major electrical hick up that happened somehow, ignition or sensor related?
Did the engine light come on, or was it flashing?
no nothing at all - no lights except what I described. I thought it might have been a bit of dirt in the fuel filter or air filter or something. weird it was as you say It may have been a solar flare :p
should have been a bit more forthcoming - It's a 2.8L turbo diesel stock.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok Robert a CRD that makes more sense now. Possibly you could add 2.8 CRD diesel to your signature line please.
Ya it could be fuel related as in starving, put, put, or water issue, IDK much about the CRD's.
That being said we have a few CRD guys in here that will be able to help a whole lot more than I can ! :)
I'll move this post into the CRD / KJ section for better exposure.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your KJ?

Check for stored codes if possible but a lot of fuel-related problems do not post codes.
Could be a wiring problem...if you travel the same route under the same conditions a wire may scrape through to chassis/engine and behave the same.

May have been some air in the fuel for a while.
Problem will probably rear its head again sometime unfortunately!:(

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I presume that as you are from Down Under that you are also posting on www.ausjeepoffroad.com

Lots of Export KJ Owners there and some good advice as regards our Export models which have some differences to the USA/Canada models.....such as having the steering wheel on the correct/right side...UK, SA and AUS models that is!;)

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Sounds like air in fuel. Next time it happens shut it off and pump the pump on the fuel filter and bleed the air out with a 10mm wrench. The export model has a different filter system but there should be a pump and bleed point somewhere.

Permanent solution is to add an in-tank pump.