Loose Lug Nuts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone!

I've had an issue off and on over the past few years and couldn't find anything listed when searching. I've noticed the lug nuts will loosen shortly after some procedure that requires the wheel(s) to be removed. This only happens on the front and not every time. I rotate my own tires and do brakes etc so I have them off periodically. Maybe 1 in 5 times one or both front wheels will do this. Usually several lug nuts per side. It has happened when I did the work and once when a dealer did some work. I always use a torque wrench and have always used 100 lb/ft. I always check/re-torque after a short ride when I have them off but just sort of wondering if this is common. I should probably have my TWrench recalibrated but shouldn't be off by that much. I've never seen it on any of my other vehicles.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Stock or aftermarket wheels ?
One of the guys who used to live around here had soft 8s and they had to be retightened a couple of times each time I worked on it.
Only fronts is all. Numerous things that could cause this, overtightening at one time to name one. Just keep a close eye on them. I check my air and lugs every week at least

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should always re-torque lugnuts 50-100 miles after a service,on any vehicle.They can loosen up,will they? Not always but the can.I check my lugnuts once a week,takes less then 2mins.

The left side(drivers side) lugnuts are more prone to loosening then the right side(pass side).Why big trucks use left hand and right hand lugnuts/wheel studs.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I hadn't noticed it being more prevalent on one side, but now that you mention it, it may be more biased to the left. Wheels are stock as are lug nuts. I did get this thing used so maybe someone really whaled on them. I'm one of those OCD guys who thinks the most important tool you can have is a good torque wrench (maybe next to a decent manual).

I do check all my lugs like TJKJ said, well maybe once a month but definitely within 10-20 miles after having them off. This is the only one that is problematic. First time was within about 10 miles of the work and could feel the vibration. I could spin them by hand!

Maybe when I change the hubs sometime soon I'll solve the issue. I think I've got one whining a bit. For now as long as I know it happens I should be able to head it off at the pass.

Thanks again for the help.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
No way. I'd never add lube. The problem only happens once after the work and then when re-torqued it won't happen until I remove the wheel for some other procedure. Guess it's not such a big deal since I can anticipate it just seems pretty odd.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Very used 80k. Pretty sure the previous (1 owner) maintained it well but didn't baby it. Has some pretty obvious brush rubs. Good possibility he or she did not share my affinity for proper torque. I will be swapping in some new hubs in the spring.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think I will try those. My factory ones are really beat up yet the rims are pretty good. I looked for replacements a year ago but only found the fall apart factory ones for some ridiculous price.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gone to my dealership for replacement lugnuts but after learning the price of the original stock ones (I think $12 each) the parts guy showed my an equivalent lugnut for far less.

Has anybody ever used Locktite on their lugnuts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
I thought about locktite a while back but never tried. I'd consider trying the medium strength but probably not bother and just swap the hubs (and get the McGards).

I'm thinking someone overtightened at some point. Back when I first got the vehicle I remember one being particularly tough to get off. Finally did with a really big breaker bar. Can't believe I didn't snap the stud. That may have been an indication they were overtightened. I swapped that particular lugnut with one from the spare and sort of forgot about it until yesterday.