Looking to join the club! 06 Liberty - $8000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06LibertyorBust

Reaction score
Hey all!

Currently the wife and I are looking to get her a new car. She had driven a '01 Wrangler for the past 15 years but sadly it was time like the old girl go.

We were looking for another SUV/Jeep and currently have our eyes set on an 06 Liberty with 50k miles on it. I did a history report and it was in one accident that functionally damaged the rear-end.

My guess is it was driven for almost a year before it was totaled due to the accident. The record shows 6/5/15 historical odometer as 125 miles. The next listing is rear impact on 3/25/16 followed by Junk and Salvage sale 7/18/16. A salvage title was then issued with the current milage 7/27/16. I'm guessing it was rebuilt in that 4 month time frame. I am guess it was rebuilt as the rear looks in working order from the provided pictures and I doubt they'd be selling it without a rebuild.

The value I found from Edmunds says dealer retail is valued at $6048 and a private sale would avg about $4500.

I have read about the window regulator issues and plan to use it as a bargaining chip to bring the price down somewhat. Are there any other issues with the 06 liberty's that I might want to be aware of?

They are currently offering the car for $8000 and I am hoping to get it for just under $7000 if possible based on the thought that they retailed it for around $6000. thinking in the range of offering $6500 and seeing if they bite at just below $7000.

The car looks to be in good shape and the low miles are what make it incredibly attractive to us. Any help would be fantastic and we would be super excited to join the community! I am very DIY-inclined and would definitely love to get my hands dirty with help from everyone.

Thanks in advance!!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats really high priced of course cold weather raises prices here in Ohio.
What is it Limited, Renegade , Sport ?? What options ?
I bought a 03 last year with 78,000 miles , one owner , stack of receipts a mile high and no accidents. Tax, title out the door was half what they are asking for the one you are looking at.
What all had to be replaced from the accident?
Little more info would be nice.
Real issues, measure suspension sag, stock is 19 inches from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare. Also check the rear boot on the front driveshaft.
The one I bought they were asking over 7000. I walked in with a detailed list of everything needed and what I would pay 20 minutes alter they agreed
What part of Ohio?

Last edited:

06LibertyorBust

Reaction score
It's a limited and I'm not exactly sure what all they replaced in the accident. It would definitely be something I'd ask about. Haven't been able to find out that info through my current rummaging. Just "functional damage" at the "rear center". It also has a rebuild item on the report confirming my suspicions.

We live in Columbus and the dealer is located here as well. This is the listing if it helps: Cars for Sale: Used 2006 Jeep Liberty in 4WD Limited, Columbus OH: 43202 Details - Sport Utility - Autotrader

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I see one reason for the high price, BUY HERE PAY HERE available they always jack the prices way up.
From the pictures I'd hit them up with sagged suspension, wheels are all needing redone. Couldn't tell much about the interior. If its the Limited ( I also have a 05 Limited that my Step Father is currently driving) it would have the Select Trac transfer case . Has 2WD, Part Time 4WD, Full Time 4WD, N, and 4 Low
I would have it checked over really close to see how much damage there really was
If it checks out OK I'd start at no more than 4500
I'm only 15-20 minutes from there and need to find my buddy anyways that lives close by there so may swing by tomorrow

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the wrong time of the year to buy one of these things.
Summer time plus high gas prices is the best time. I want to see another $5/gallon summer just so I can scoop up some rides for piss cheap :D

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low miles considered I don't see how it could be worth more than 5k

I bought my jeep in sept 2015. It had 83000 kms at the time. (51500 miles) No rebuild. No (declared) accidents. Minor door dings overall good shape. I paid 8k CDN and here in BC we enjoy the highest vehicle prices in all of Canada. I wanted a 6 speed 05 and I found it. And the PO was attached to the vehicle and didn't really want to see it go. I talked her down to 8 from what she was asking but i wasnt getting anymore. I think I overpayed a bit but it was exactly what I was looking for.

Just some perspective. Its your money, do what you want, but IMO there is no way a rebuild is worth that kind of money.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at the spare tire mount it looks like something has been added or replaced. I'm betting the rear-end damage stove in the tailgate or something like that.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely had damage to the rear gate
The "Jeep" logo on the gate wasn't even put on right and also unless it was de-badged then it's missing the "4x4" and "3.7l" logos
And as Prof mentioned the spare tire carrier looks weird, I can't even make out what exactly it is but surely not stock
I would take everyone's advice and not go over $5k no matter what
There could be structural damage but it's just hidden with the new rear bumper so check it out
Looks like the passenger side mirror its scuffed up as well

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tire carrier is flipped upside down from normal
6.3 miles away, paying a visit
I love to mess with salesmens minds anyways
Let them give you the great BS talk, and then point out about twenty things thats wrong

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't even look like the stock tire carrier to me
It looks like a circular silver thing in the pictures, definitely doesn't look like mine when I take pictures of the rear

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looked at the pictures of it.. just say no. It's your money, but just say no. Unless you can get it for like... half what they're asking. 4g-5g.. yeah worth. 8g.. eh..
The back left door doesn't even look close to being aligned correcly. Looks as though it's way to close to the quarter panel and down, my best bet is to help hide hidden structural damage in the rear left.(^<)
If they have the sheets of the rebuild, look for the frame machine specs.. likely chief pages in there somewhere.
Should all be within 5mm minimum of the factory spec..
If you find the frame sheets, they may look intimidating at first, but you need to look for the back rear of the datum preview of the car.. there will be measurements taken from at least 6 locations in the back (3 on each side behind center section).. compare the two..
Once you've found the rear of the car measurements on the frame sheets (given they will provide them), then the info should show numbers in what looks like a fraction.
Ex. You find 2/2 with an arrow pointing to identical points on the rear wheel wells. Both combined within 5mm maximum tolerancy. Now..
Ex. You find 5/1 with an arrow pointing to the frame rails in the rear..
Can be hidden with new parts(structural included) and body panels, including improperly aligned quarter panels formed into shape then welded.. then throw exterior body panels like your bumper and fender flares and doors on top of them.. well hidden.
But still structurally unsound and can easily be hidden with an alignment. Though your alignment will continue to go out, causing continuous rear toe and thrust angle issues.
Not to mention the tire wear problems.. I hope you like replacing and rotating tires..
Also leading to premature wear on suspension and steering components..
That's just an example of what the points may look like if it's a chief automotive frame machine. If it's a different one such as a car-o-liner, tuxedo, etc.. then the setup may look slightly different as they will show the numbers as the distance from the centerline, zero plane, and datum plane.. so they may read numbers like 1748, but should have a chart that looks like a grid. And in these charts the upper section will show the points i.e. 1748 in the top boxes, and those in the row directly beneath should show their tolerances.. should all be within 5..
If you forget all of this.. but still find the sheets and can't remember what I said, remember this.. red is bad lol.

Or perhaps they had a good frame tech and someone else was incapable of aligning body panels lol

Or it could be a perfectly redone rebuild. But judging by the tailgate.. I'm thinking they weren't perfectionists lol. The tire carrier is upside down and it's half-de-badged lol.
May start a new trend among the liberties!

Last edited:

Senistr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with everyone, if you look at the driver side rear, and the passenger rear doors, you can totally see the difference. The driver side rear is hanging low, the door and the fender and doesn't line up correctly. I would be more worried about the integrity of that door in a way of will it stay shut, locking correctly, staying shut/locked, hinge damage over time, ect.

mrhemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 MT Liberty Sport that I will let go for $8000 Can. if you want to come and get it in Ontario. 120000km (about 74000 miles), second owner, well maintained and no damage history.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They should call that thing 50 shades of gray, lots of different silvers going on lol. Missing the Trail Rated badge, so it's been repainted up to there minimum.

06LibertyorBust

Reaction score
Thanks to all you guys so much for all the tips and knowledge! I honestly didn't expect all the great opinions so quickly. I'm definitely leaning towards a no, especially after talking all my findings over with the wife. The next item on my list that I thought looked attractive was a 2010 Compass for 10k. Here's the link :Cars for Sale: Used 2010 Jeep Compass in 4WD, Cambridge OH: 43725 Details - Sport Utility - Autotrader

No accidents, seems in line with KBB values and from the pics I don't see a lot of negatives (from my limited knowledge though). Maybe you guys with keen eyes can tear this one apart!

Thanks again. I'm really appreciative of everyone being so helpful

Senistr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compass isn't terrible, but not a lot you can do for it. Won't be as fun as the Libby per say. But buying a used 4cly SUV for 10K still wouldn't sit well with me, and i've sold cars before. I would shop around and see what other dealers have around. I just did this a few months ago when I was looking for a decent manual car for distance driving. Ended up finding a 07 focus, 5spd manual for 6K which made me happy enough.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks to all you guys so much for all the tips and knowledge! I honestly didn't expect all the great opinions so quickly. I'm definitely leaning towards a no, especially after talking all my findings over with the wife. The next item on my list that I thought looked attractive was a 2010 Compass for 10k. Here's the link :Cars for Sale: Used 2010 Jeep Compass in 4WD, Cambridge OH: 43725 Details - Sport Utility - Autotrader

No accidents, seems in line with KBB values and from the pics I don't see a lot of negatives (from my limited knowledge though). Maybe you guys with keen eyes can tear this one apart!

Thanks again. I'm really appreciative of everyone being so helpful

Seems overpriced. I'm not sure if you guys would be happy going from a Wrangler into a Compass.

For 10k, you should be able to find a decent Grand Cherokee or Commander. Or even a newer body style Liberty (KK)

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget everyone...these are dealer asking prices. You can usually get them to come down a few thousand from where they're at. Use KBB and figure out about how much it should go for from a private party and go from there.

Latest posts

Members online