looking to go camping this spring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to start planning a 3 day camping trip and need some help finding a location. Doesnt really make a diff what state its in, ny pa nj ct.... I dont want to go to a camp ground, my ideal location would be in a state park or something where we would be by our selves away from people. Somwhere you can set camp wherever. I would like to be able to do some wheeling too. Nothing to crazy but i wouldnt be complaining if i had to drive through trails to find a nice spot to set camp. And somewhere on a lake of rive so i can go fishing.

Musts:
River or lake
Jeep trails
Away from people

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Silver Creek State Campground Luther Mi, rustic campground on the Pine river. Close to ORV trails( not vehicles?) but also close to many 2 tracks and trails too. And not far from many off road parks and Silver Lake Sand Dunes.
Pure Michigan
The Great Lakes State.
:):):):):););

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to come to Upstate NY, there is a place in the mountains that meets your criteria. Mountains, lake, river, trails, and remote camping. You will need to be totally self-sufficient and pack out your trash. It's free though and beautiful. I can't give you directions on an open forum. (you might need to follow me to find it) The nearest largest town is Warrensburgh, NY so you can google that to see how far you will need to travel. It's about 50 miles from there. If interested you could pm me.

Dave

Last edited:

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to come to Upstate NY, there is a place in the mountains that meets your criteria. Mountains, lake, river, trails, and remote camping. You will need to be totally self-sufficient and pack out your trash. It's free though and beautiful. I can't give you directions on an open forum. (you might need to follow me to find it) The nearest largest town is Warrensburgh, NY so you can google that to see how far you will need to travel. It's about 50 miles from there. If interested you could pm me.

Dave

I may need to get some info from you next year...I want to do a similar camping trip. My Fiancee's aunt lives in New Paltz...probably 2 hours south of there...so we may head up from CT, visit her and then head up to camp for a couple nights.

NJ - not sure if you're into beach camping at all, but I'm also planning on doing some of that on Cape Cod. Off-season they allow 4x4's onto the beaches. I'm sure some of the beaches closer to you probably do that too though. I can tell you that CT doesn't have much too offer....as far as legal places anyway. I know Pachaug state forest allows some vehicles though certain times of the year, but that's pretty much the only one...and I'm not sure if they would let you camp.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dave

Sounds perfect!! I went up to lake placid last july. It was soooooo nice out there. Checked out the olympic sites, horse back riding, and some kyaking on mirror lake. And the best part of the trip was he hiking. I forget which peak we went up but it took about 3 3.5 hours to hike, the view was amaizing... you could see for miles and a really nice view of the ski jump ramps. That drive was about 6 hours from where i live. How far is this site from the nj/ny border where the gsp stops and the expressway begins?

EDIT: warrensburg is just over a 4 hour drive for me. Is fuel easily obtainable from the area or should i plan to bring extra fuel in?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds perfect!! I went up to lake placid last july. It was soooooo nice out there. Checked out the olympic sites, horse back riding, and some kyaking on mirror lake. And the best part of the trip was he hiking. I forget which peak we went up but it took about 3 3.5 hours to hike, the view was amaizing... you could see for miles and a really nice view of the ski jump ramps. That drive was about 6 hours from where i live. How far is this site from the nj/ny border where the gsp stops and the expressway begins?

EDIT: warrensburg is just over a 4 hour drive for me. Is fuel easily obtainable from the area or should i plan to bring extra fuel in?

Yeah, the Lake Placid/Mirror Lake area is beautiful.

I don't know how far it is from the NY/NJ border that's why I gave you Warrensburgh for a reference.

You can get gas up there on the way up but once you are up on the mountain you can't get anything so I always top off at the last gas station before going up the mountain. Never had a problem that way. It is remote, no cell coverage, and you need to have everything you need with you.

There are primitive campsites about a hundred yards apart and some further than that. Miles of "roads" up there. One trail to an old fire tower where you can get a birds eye view of the mountains.

When/if you want to go, pm me and I will give you my cell and I can give you more info and give you actual directions if you want to go.

Dave

Drucifer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pass the camping out stage. I now prefer the cabin with a modest kitchen and most importantly, a functioning bathroom.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the Lake Placid/Mirror Lake area is beautiful.

I don't know how far it is from the NY/NJ border that's why I gave you Warrensburgh for a reference.

You can get gas up there on the way up but once you are up on the mountain you can't get anything so I always top off at the last gas station before going up the mountain. Never had a problem that way. It is remote, no cell coverage, and you need to have everything you need with you.

There are primitive campsites about a hundred yards apart and some further than that. Miles of "roads" up there. One trail to an old fire tower where you can get a birds eye view of the mountains.

When/if you want to go, pm me and I will give you my cell and I can give you more info and give you actual directions if you want to go.

Dave

I deff will. Sounds like its exactly what im looking for. Guna try to go early spring so once the time gets closer ill pm you

Members online

No members online now.