Looking to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sowles

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for another ride for a while. I think I’m ready to get a used KJ. I’m trying to stay 04-07. Is there anything I need to watch for when looking these over? I have a low budget so it’s going to be a work in progress from the very beginning but the first step is getting one. Thanks for the help!

Rob

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd look high and low for rust. Everything else can be fixed.

Having said that, if I were buying one today I would get a mechanic I trusted to look over the engine and transmission, since I would not want to start off buy paying for either of those to be repaired. I'd ask a lot of questions about the coolant and if the seller didn't know what was in there I'd be concerned it was not HOAT.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My Rocky mountain 04 was featured just the way I like it simple..& without all that electronic TPS, stability controls etc..
I wish though I could have found one with the selec-trac transfer case that is full-time 4WD.
I have the command trac transfer case, and it's to be used on slippery surfaces only, other wise you can get binding going on.
The 04's seem to be one of the best years for not having the window regulator problems, that others may have experienced as well.
There may still be some lower mile KJ's out there, and that is something to consider too.
Ya rust ..eek.. a good inspection will always pay off in the end.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rust is biggest issues now
07s are drive by wire, some quirks to them
I only buy 02-05
Of course suspensions were weak/bad from the get go, so no matter the miles or year that is one issue there

Sowles

Reaction score
I have an 08 Malibu right now and it's drive by wire so I'm used to that. I'll keep my eye on the rust and see what I can find. Thanks for the input guys. Once I get my hands on one I'm sure I'll be around a lot more to get some advice.

Rob