Looking to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zf6

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are looking at the crd libertys as a new vehicle for her, are there anything special to pay attention to when looking at these?? I fairly mechanical inclined so I'm not afraid to climb all over them but beside the timing belt since they are interference motors what else should I look for??

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

MAKER OF CRD SERVICEABLE THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLIES
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are looking at the crd libertys as a new vehicle for her, are there anything special to pay attention to when looking at these?? I fairly mechanical inclined so I'm not afraid to climb all over them but beside the timing belt since they are interference motors what else should I look for??

It all depends upon the mileage on it. Timing belts must be changed on schedule... does the previous owner have detailed service records, and has he or she performed the necessary upgrades?

A Green Diesel Engineering tune is a must, as well as the transmission tune and upgrade with a proper torque converter. The engine thermostat is horrible and has to be replaced. I am the only manufacturer of a proper replacement for the O.E. thermostat, so you need to contact to me for one of those. All of these upgrades must be done for long-term reliability of the Liberty CRD.

There are other upgrades as well - like the fuel filter upgrade and/or a lift pump installation, but they are not as critical as those mentioned above. I totally recommend installation of a Webasto TSL17 heater so you no longer have to idle the engine to warm it up in the winter.

The Liberty CRD was an excellent concept vehicle that was poorly executed by Chrysler/V.M. Motori. Get the upgrades done and you will have a very satisfying vehicle. Do not get the upgrades and you may end up with a nightmare.

Last edited:

mass-hole

Reaction score
I would make sure that they used a good oil and changed it religiously. The Rocker arm wear due to soot in the oil is an issue and if they were just running regular 0W-40 and not a turbo diesel specific oil at huge intervals than it would scare me a bit. If they have a GDE tune then that is a good thing and they probably know what they are doing.

Latest posts

Members online