Looking for KK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm an old man. I never had a Jeep or other off road vehicle.

I lived in Michigan and then California all my life (44 years in CA) and now Utah. I discovered the trails in Utah and so got an ATV (Honda Rancher 420) a year and a half ago.

I can access 100s of miles of trails from my house.

But I now have 1400 miles on the ATV and I'm looking to put it on a trailer and pull the trailer to other trails (Paiute trail for example.)

And I have determined I want a 2012 Liberty to do it. There are a few for sale here in Utah.

I'm looking for no more than 130,000 miles, less if I can find it. And something that appears to burn no oil or only minimal oil, if I can determine it.

And doesn't have a leaking heater core.

I've worked on cars all my life, and motorcycles, and now an ATV so I can fix most anything needed on a KK.

What should I look at or know about in buying one.

Thanks

dc

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s some good information in this thread:

https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/differences-between-kj-kk.73779/

In terms of what to look out for, don’t get a KK with the Sky Slider (canvas roof). The roof mechanism is unreliable and super expensive to fix, and that’s if you can find the parts you would need anymore.

Really like the KK otherwise. I have an 08 & have owned it for 9 years and 150K miles.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Howard.

The main reason I was looking at 2011 and 2012 was ... lower mileage. I want to be under 130,000 miles starting out and most of the KJs have more than that. The prices are a lot nicer. The 2012s are most way over priced and they sold one here Friday 103,000 miles, $10k.

Rust isn't much of an issue here (Central Utah). It's far too dry of a climate. Dryer than southern California was, where rust was no problem.

As to the electronic and transfer case, yes, those can be issues.

So, I'm still just looking. And gettng better ideas as to what to look for under the Jeeps.

My main concern still is, does the engine burn oil.

I do eee a lot of these Jeeps for sale 160,000 or more miles. And apparently still going. And what with my age, I'll be lucky if I get 40 or 50,000 miles out of anything. So ...
dc

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have a list of 12 to go and see, not all of which I may see.

I left out one with leather seats, as I hate leather seats, and one with the "Sky Slider" roof as I have seen about fixing those things. On my car I have the sun/moon roof, which I have never opened, never used. So I took that one off the list.

So I just have to start looking under them and driving, etc.

I've watched a lot more videos (anything I can find on youtube) on them.

I'm going to look at a 2004 that looks nice with 127k miles, and then 2009, 2011 and 2012.

Til I get to that one that has my name written on it (so to speak).
dc

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Having worked on hundreds of KJs and KKs I am and forever will be a KJ fan
As you can see I have an 03, 04 I bought new and a 05
Both the 03 and 05 were one owner KJs with all service records from day one
bought both of them when they had 78-79,000 miles on them
The 04 has over 235,000 miles being lift about 220,000 miles of that time
Both of the others have upgraded suspensions etc one of the issues with all Libertys is the poor spring rates they used on them
By 60-65,000 miles suspensions are toast
I just like the looks, ride and the lack of so many electronic doodads on them
One reason for not owning any 05s and 06s

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went out looking yesterday, and saw 9 Jeep Libertys. From 2004 to 2012. We had 5 test rides. All did well, but some had some little hints that we didn't like.

The last one, a silver with grey interior 2012 was the one I liked most.

103k miles. Cracked windshield, had been replaced, cracked again. So they took off $250. I'm still thinking and looking at the $7,000 plus price range. They had already take off $500 then another $500 from $9,000.

I think I'll go back and test and check every single item on this one. And interrogate the sellers, private party at a house about what they know.

And depending on what else doesn't work offer in the $7,000 plus range. I think they will take it, no other lookers. These beasts are not too popular here, it looks.

Oh, it has a nice intermittent squeak in the center console. They pleaded no knowledge (of how or why). I thought it might actually be the transfer case or rear wheel drive axle. But I see many online center console squeaks on these, and other Jeeps.

If I do get it, I hope it makes it home with me (120 miles).
dc

Also their remote key is broken off and they pair it with the spare utility key which doesn't have the remote on it. I'll have to find a source for the remote and then have the dealer cut two.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
One easy way to talk owners down is the suspension
Both of my used ones, I used that as one of the bargaining points
All Libertys have junk suspensions from the get go, so its almost a given
I got 500 knocked off the 03 after already getting it knocked down 2000
The 05 I got 1000 knocked off just due to suspension and rear gate that wouldn't work right all the time ( 30 second fix )
front height new on KKs would of been 18 inches middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom. I will look at that rear sag. And see what I can say about it. I will say tho' it rides real nice and solid, but it is oem suspension. Which I will leave for a while.

There was one here that sold 2 weeks ago (well 50 miles or so) sold for $10,000, same mileage. But so far I have heard of none others of them selling. Every day that goes by I take a chance. That one I like might sell before I get back.

I can't go til Thursday or Saturday.

I still have to check every item on the list to see what (if anything) doesn't work. But I've got the 18 inches on my check list so I'll add that in.
Thanks
dc

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if it figures in to your calculations but I’d also be looking for one with the tow package (2” receiver, trailer lights, aux fan with fan clutch on the front of the motor to assist e-fan).

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't really that concerned with the tow package. My understanding was it caused the trans to shift a little later, so as to avoid going into a higher gear too early and lugging.

For my intention, trailer of 400 lbs and an atv of 600 lbs I wasn't much concerned about over heating, etc. But it can definitely be a concern anywhere. The tow package has been hit and miss, only a few have it, and at least one had it with no hitch/receiver at all.

Now the lady helping me with looking said "how can it have a tow package with no hitch!!??"

I can explain. Some lady says "I don't want no trailer hitch on our/my Jeep. You get out there and take that hitch off."

And some man says ok.

And the hitch is never seen again. In the back of the garage where it can never be found or just gone.

I can put a hitch on one easily. $140.

Can I put the aux fan on any one? I might like to do that. But it probably isn't necessary.
dc

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can add the aux fan yourself. I did and it works great not only for towing my 2500# trailer but also for keeping things cool when crawling off-road trails or stuck in Philly gridlock on a hot summer day.

Here are the Mopar part numbers:
Fan: 55116884AA
Fan clutch: 52079718AD
4 bolts & washers for fan clutch: 6034860

Hitch: 82210988AB
Trailer wiring harness: 82210642AD

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got a message that one (2012, 103k miles) is no longer for sale. Private party.

I had sent messages to 2 big box, big name dealers. One sent me a message, went to start, wouldn't start. No idea when the mechanic can get to it. I'm sending messages and getting no reply on that. It's a big name dealer, not Chrysler/Jeep and they don't want the car on their lot. It sits, of course it won't start, no big deal.

2nd big box, er big name dealer. I call and say we are almost there. He says he will start it and "warm it up" for me. I say no, let me see a cold start. Ok. I get there and start it and he says take it for a drive. I do and the check engine light and low tire light comes on. I still drive a bit, not out of the big dealership (not Chrysler/Jeep), big fancy huge place, and it starts dinging, the door bell, ding ding ding it doesn't want me to drive it. So I take it back. The salesman says he has a code reader. But we leave to see other cars and I still haven't heard from him as to what the codes are.

They might be nothing.

Anyway I'm back to square one and itching to buy. I know I will have to fix and replace some on anything I buy.

Yes, these are all original suspension. But they all seem to ride sufficient for the time being. To give me time to figure out what I want to upgrade to. This will be a back up car for me, so I won't drive it much if at all.
dc

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck on your search
Good ones are hard to find for sure
I looked long and hard for both of my used ones ( the 03 and 05 ) before I found clean, one owner, with all service records etc
As far as suspensions go, all of mine have to ride very well from the get go
My 04 I bought brand new, after first 2 hours of driving it I started looking for upgraded suspension, absolutely hated the ride
Took a while to get everything but before it even had 20,000 miles on it ( which didn't take long since i was also using it for work ) it was upgraded to its first OME lift
On the 03 I actually had a full JBA adjustable coilover lift sitting in the garage waiting, and I hadn't even found one yet ;)

But keep up the search, good ones are still out there , just waiting for you
I'm chasing an 02 Renegade down now, older lady bought it new, stays in climate controlled garage , very clean, very nice with 83,000 on it
She likes that I have others and take care of them so we shall see
That will complete my Royal Flush, well minus one but....

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have two more to look at.

One I decided to pass on had a check engine light and audible beep. The code was P0305 which I was told was misfire cyl 5. I suppose it could be a coil, or plug wires, or wrong plugs. The sales guy says "it just needs a 'tune up'" and "the engine is good." They are selling it at a reduced price for a 2011. It runs good which surprised me that there was a check engine light. I'd need to borrow a car trailer and truck (120 miles) to get it home. And then I think I'm taking a risk that it's not a head or even lower rebuilt. I can do it. 138k miles (k=1000, not km).

And it's a nice blue with dark or black interior. All the features, but I need something that at least runs me home.

Another one to look at 2011 supposedly all good. Wouldn't start last week. Battery. They put in a new battery. Champagne color (ugh) and dark grey interior. I have to look at it. 127k miles.

If not that one then a 2008 I drove. Seemed all nice. Tire pressures come up on the dash, each tire. Nice. That's what I have on my motorcycle which is nice. And tow package. And nice dark blue with light grey interior. Very pretty combination. All looking like new. 138k miles. But runs nice and clean. New tires new battery.

Anything I buy I need to go over with a fine tooth comb. And then wait for the first big item to go out. But that's true for mostly any car over 100k miles. That's why people unload them at that mileage.

I can get 50 or 100k out of any one of these. Just a question of how much has to be replaced to do it.

But due to my age I may be lucky to use this Jeep for 25k miles.

dc

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck in your search
Must be harder to find good ones out that way
My 04 has 236,000 miles on it now and I wouldn't be afraid to go from home ( Ohio ) to California and back tomorrow
of course, except for 5 miles, I'm the only one who has ever driven or worked on it LOL
Keep up the search, something good will turn up when you least expect it

Latest posts

Members online