Looking for advice where to start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dan sich

Reaction score
Have a 2004 Jeep KJ. My girls use it for a school and other activities. Really good shape in general. One issue I can’t figure out. In the morning when you start the Jeep it runs fine. Once it’s warm if you shut it off it’ll start fine but soon after wants to stall. If you shut it off and immediately restart it, it will run fine again. But, every time you shut it off it’ll do the same thing again. No codes being shown so not sure where to even begin to look. Don’t want my 17 and 16 year old girls to have to worry about a vehicle that stalls on them and they have to restart. Right now I use the Jeep and they are driving my fully restored 2000 Excursion with the 7.3 diesel. Makes them popular with the guys, but that’s a whole different story. I want my truck back.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
Jeep won't run well if the wrong spark plugs are used and the plugs should be replaced every 35k.
Only use the ZFR6F-11G Ngk copper core spark plugs and set the gap correctly.
You must be registered for see images attach

Also the Intake Air Control (IAC) controls the idle. It gets caboned up & probably needs cleaning or replacement.
See post 10 here: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/idle-air-control-
no-screws.44826/

Hopefully that gets it in perfect running condition, otherwise it's onto Fuel Pressure tests.

Jesse Maiolo

Reaction score
HMMM,This sounds similar to what my 06 was doing. Only difference is it was a very hard start after it warmed up...had plugs put in but I dowbt they were the ones you recommended... OP,is your issue fixed> If so,what worked? Thanks

dan sich

Reaction score
Not positive yet. I took out idle air control valve and cleaned it as best I could. Seemed to really help. Not nearly as bad. Next time I’m in town I’m going to buy a new one and see if it helps.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Buy a Mopar IAC only. Jeep is picky.
It's also easy to pull 1 coil pack & spark plug, to then check the gap spec & see if the correct plugs are installed.

Latest posts

Members online