Looking for a steel back bumper set up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clay04

Reaction score
I’m kinda new to the Jeep Liberty world. I’ve renecety purchased an ARB from bumper and was looking for a back bumper that could hold a gas can. Also looking for ideas on a good roof rack, jack w/where I could mount it on the Jeep.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes either a welder and some steel, or a stack of cash and a custom shop. I don't believe anyone has an aftermarket option available at this time.

Clay04

Reaction score
Damn, not what I wanted to hear . I kinda figured I’d have to search for someone to make one. I love the rock lizard one but from my understanding they’re out of business. That really *****....

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WAM bumpers makes some but in my opinion they are just ugly. Haven’t actually seen anyone that bought one yet.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WAM bumpers makes some but in my opinion they are just ugly. Haven’t actually seen anyone that bought one yet.

I was unawares. Gotta say, I don't love it, but I don't have an issue with the stock one.

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to find a guy in Texas who had made a few rear bumpers who still had one mostly complete. I paid him to finish it for me. Cant wait to get it. The difference, Im getting two fuel can holder.

You must be registered for see images attach

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was unawares. Gotta say, I don't love it, but I don't have an issue with the stock one.

Wow, that is ugly.. too angular for a KJ, especially on the sides where it needs some bevels... would probably look better on a KK. The KJ is all swoops and sweeps and rounds and curves... the KK is the shoebox model. So yeah... this just looks amateur. I'm sure it's solid and well built, but the design is blah. Not at all like the one CRD Joe is getting.

I was able to find a guy in Texas who had made a few rear bumpers who still had one mostly complete. I paid him to finish it for me. Cant wait to get it. The difference, Im getting two fuel can holder.

That's a damn nice looking bumper Joe! Steel prices are kinda high last I checked, but I'm going to save some images of that one so that I can cut and weld up my own in the future.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent seen WAM before.

I don't think they look THAT bad considering they are half the cost of the last bumpers I saw available.

$600 to start (same front or rear) and options add up pretty quick, so they aren't "cheap" for long if you add some options. A rear with swing away tire and gas can was just about $1000, and appearance wise they arent bad.

I might spend $1000 to get the back gate to stop squeaking.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I havent seen WAM before.

I don't think they look THAT bad considering they are half the cost of the last bumpers I saw available.

$600 to start (same front or rear) and options add up pretty quick, so they aren't "cheap" for long if you add some options. A rear with swing away tire and gas can was just about $1000, and appearance wise they arent bad.

I might spend $1000 to get the back gate to stop squeaking.

I have seen one in person, they are that bad , ugly

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen one in person, they are that bad , ugly

If someone fabbed it up themselves in their garage, I'd say a job well done for a one-off. For a production piece by an actual aftermarket bumper company, I think they went as simplistic and quick as one could be slapped together.

For the $600 base price, easily reaching $800-$1000 with only one or two add-on's (that you will want), it makes little to no sense to buy theirs...

Sadly, options for a solid metal rear bumper are limited to non-existent. Maybe someone would have luck commissioning a local welding school or skill center to have the students there design and build one for you.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda miss the old tube bumpers that were basically a pair of 3-4 inch tubes stacked. Used to see them on Toyotas and Jeeps many moons ago. I think something like that might look good on a kj.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tube bumper/nerf bar fad seems to be coming back here.

I see more and more trucks/jeeps driving around with them instead of what I would call the modern "armor" look.

More so trucks then jeeps, as the wrangler guys are hooked on the angry eye grilles, grumpers, and whatever that thing that goes around the windshield is called(besides a waste of money).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Main issue with ever installing a tube type bumper on a KJ is the ugly crap / frame/ body behind the bumper cover. Its not like a TJ, JK or 70s Ford F150 it is plain ugly.
That is why on my 03 I kept the bumper cover on front but trimmed it right up to the body area, ( also running the JBA Matrix Brush Guard which in itself is sort of a tube type) rear of course I have one on my own bumpers.
But unless you have a tube bumper with flat metal covering the back side it would look like crap IMO

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I think the toughest part would be getting it to look good where the bumper incorporates with the fender flares

JJam2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score

is this the one you are getting? have you installed it yet and have pics? I would love one like this

Lesman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Who made this?

AngriezJeep

O noes! Jeep haz major ANGRIEZ!!1
Reaction score
As an update, looking at the WAM website, they no longer do Liberty bumpers