Looking at buying my first Jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new here and looking for feedback from current Jeep owners. I am looking at purchasing a 2011 Jeep Liberty Limited with 103K on it. It has a clean carfax and shows most oil services being performed every 5k. Having never owned a Jeep I am a bit iffy as I have read a lot of issues with valve springs on the 3.7 motor. I am trading in my 2008 Chevy Colorado (That has never given me an issue in the 40k I've owned it currently at 115K) on this Jeep. I just wanted to make sure that I am not trading an apple for a lemon. The Jeep is equipped with all the options I want that my Colorado does not have. So how many miles can I expect the Jeep to last and how reliable are they really? Thanks in advance for honest and supportive comments.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Initially the Jeep KK was introduced in 2008 and yup they had some valve train issues.
Chrysler made changes & had that sorted out well by 2011 as far as I know.
Is this a private sale or on a dealership lot?
The best protection you can offer yourself is by paying to have your own independent 150 point inspection done before purchase.
The KK section is a good representation of members posts regarding issues.
Have a browse through there, not a lot of major complaints really for 2011's.

Metalbourne

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Jeep Liberty and I can tell you it got me through last winter in the Poconos with no issue. The issues I've had was a bad heater core, the AC/Heater door actuator (easy fix), trans issue that wouldn't allow me to get out of 2nd gear fixed for about $600. I have around 114,000 on mine and have owned since 2014. For me it's a love hate relationship. I love the size, the 4wd system, turning radius and the look of it. Hate the fuel mileage and the handling is rough, but it is a Jeep. I wish it was a little bigger too for more of my gear.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Jeep Liberty and I can tell you it got me through last winter in the Poconos with no issue. The issues I've had was a bad heater core, the AC/Heater door actuator (easy fix), trans issue that wouldn't allow me to get out of 2nd gear fixed for about $600. I have around 114,000 on mine and have owned since 2014. For me it's a love hate relationship. I love the size, the 4wd system, turning radius and the look of it. Hate the fuel mileage and the handling is rough, but it is a Jeep. I wish it was a little bigger too for more of my gear.

Glad to hear it has served you well. I bought a 5 year 100,000 mile extended warranty with mine (expensive at $2,700) to cover any potential power train issues. Hopefully I’ll never need it. I live in Nebraska and last winter my 2 wd Colorado barely made it through. So I’m looking forward to having 4wd. The Colorado only got 17 mpg in the city so I’m already used to poor fuel economy. I was surprised at how many people here take their liberty’s off roading. I never really thought of a Liberty being a capable off road vehicle.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that you own an extended warrantied 2011 KK Liberty, can you post a few photos? (we like pics here!)
Maybe even one from under hood, dash /interior etc :)

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do, I have to clean and detail it first :) The dealer made no effort to do so because of the price I paid for it. It is horrible (understatement) under the hood right now. Looks like it has gone it's 103k without so much as a courtesy rinse. The carfax showed regular oil changes every 5k miles but I guess cleaning doesn't come with dealer oil changes anymore. They acted like I was ripping them a new one getting them down to 8,500. I know they still made money on it. It also has a couple of cancer spots on the rear gate I will have to address, probably next spring.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I cover up the alternator, wrap cloths around each coil pack, to prevent water from entering toward spark plugs.
Also the fan, I clean by hand. I use LPS Pre-Solve orange de greaser.
A steam cleaner works well but today, I just give it a light power wash, and them dry/ clean the rest by hand.
Brasso works well for a metal polish on aluminum and steel fuel lines.
It takes time but well worth it, my engine bay on my KJ is pretty clean ! (bling bling) :)
Have fun detailing! I am sure it will be in much better shape soon !
You must be registered for see images attach

Then it is onto regular maintenance.Refer to owners manual for fluids & specifications.
Service Rear diff gear oil, front diff, transfer case, Hoat Coolant, check spark plugs etc.

Latest posts

Members online