Looking at a diesel to purchase ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of things should I be looking out for when purchasing a diesel? i have never owned a diesel, ever, so I don't know much about them. also, i am assuming that the diesel weights a bit more than a gasoline powered Liberty. how much does this effect their off road capability? I won't be doing anything crazy with it, but extra weight is seldom a good thing in the dirt.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
CRDs cost a lot more as far as maintenance, upkeep,at or before 100,000 miles you have to do timing , waterpump etc which is quite expensive, unless you can do it yourself of course
As far as mechanics working on them good luck, many do not have a clue , that was the issue from the start, Jeep never did proper training of techs

If you have never owned a diesel, IMO these are not a good one to start with

and yes they are heavier in front
where as the gassers were sent out with 310 front springs , the CRDs were sent out with 400

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
What he said.

If you really want a diesel 4x4 look for something with a cast iron block and head with a timing chain, not a belt. There isn't any reliability or longevity without those ingredients in my opinion.

If you like complexity and spinning wrenches the CRD might be fun and expensive.

Munch

Reaction score
Awe come on you guys nobody drives a diesel because it makes sense?!
I like mine but granted the rewards aren’t so stellar as to make up for heartaches. But once sorted they seem to be pretty good setup. But as stated you need to address the timing belt, thermostat, bulletproof the ******, disable EGR (if you can) and slap a tune into the software (this also disables egr) Oh also address the PCV (easy)

I enjoy having a 400lb/ft mini ute that gets 30mpg (okay more like 26 combined)
There are tons of cool mods and enthusiasts to keep you modding if that’s interesting to you. But yeah, nobody should own any diesel if they do not consider themselves diesel enthusiasts. It takes a certain personality and desire to get along with them, and the more modern that’s exponentially so. Luckily the 2005 is still somewhat old school in terms of complexity. Anything newer than about 2010 you should stay away from.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that's the kind of info i was looking for. while i like the 400 ft/pounds of torque, working on anything is not fun anymore. my back is all but destroyed. and i have never considered myself a diesel enthusiast.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the comments about Diesels.

I have a 2002 Export 2.5 CRD 5 speed Manual which I bought from new and it is the best vehicle I have ever owned.

However logically the 3.7 L gasser is more robust....I never considered buying this in South Africa as gas is much more expensive than diesel!:eek:

Last edited:

KRB

Reaction score
in South Africa as gas is much more expensive than diesel!

That used to be the case here in the US. Way back a couple decades ago that's one of the (many) reasons I got my '92W250 with the Cummins.

Xwrench3, if you are keen on getting a diesel maybe find a KJ with all the mods & upgrades done? But like everyone mentioned, it's not the easiest or simplest to work on. Unlike my Cummins, which is relatively simple.

Latest posts

Members online