Long time since I've posted here...****** problem in `05 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I haven't posted here in a few years, but I'm having a problem with my `05 Liberty Renegade, and hoped someone here might have some advice.

I was going to try the search function, but I can't even think of keywords that will turn up viable results...

So, here's the dealio:

The "2" position (and possibly the "1" position) on my automatic ****** has occasionally not engaged. It seems to be an intermittent kind of thing, but the only times it has happened to not work was when I needed it most. (Mountain road driving.)

Here's the scenario: I was returning down a steep mountain road recently from a weekend ski trip up in Big Bear Lake, CA. I noticed I was going too fast and having to ride the brakes, so I downshifted to the "2" position. I've done this a billion times in the past, no problems.

However, this time it was as if I hadn't even shifted out of "D." Just kept on picking up speed, with the RPMs staying low in a higher gear.

I was dismayed by this, as it had never happened before, AND I had just used the "2" position coming up the same hill the day before. (Steep ups and downs, curvy road..."2" position works best both up and down.) I pulled over in a turnout, and shifted into Neutral.

I have, in the past, overheated the ****** while towing, and shifting into Neutral while leaving the engine idling is the suggested method for cooling it down...figured it couldn't hurt in this instance, even though the ****** overheat light had not come on, and really shouldn't since I installed a large ****** cooler back in my towing days. Again...figured it couldn't hurt.

After a few minutes, I pulled back on to the road, and again tried to shift into the "2" position, now going much slower when shifting. Same result. As if I hadn't shifted out of "D" at all. I did not try the "1" position, as this is a busy highway, and I didn't want to piss all the people behind me off too much.

So, I rode the brakes down the mountain, and got home safely.

Back home, the next day, on flat streets around town the "2" position worked exactly as it should have when I tested it.

So, I figured I probably was going way too fast the first time I had tried to shift into "2," and I had somehow tripped a safety switch or something. I then further figured (assumed) that by turning the car off when we got home, it re-set itself, and that was why the "2" position was working again the way it should.

I was still scratching my head about it, because I really wasn't going THAT fast when this happened (under 45MPH), and I swear I've downshifted going around that speed before and it was never a problem.

So, as fortune had it, I had cause to go back up to Big Bear a week or so later. (Earlier this week, in fact...)

I again used the "2" position on the way up the hill - no problem. Working as it should. On the way back down (later in the same day), I made sure to slow WAY down before trying to shift into "2" for the engine braking. Same result as the previous trip. Like I had never left "D."

So, a few days ago, I took my car into my mechanic for some scheduled maintenance. (Which happens to include changing the ****** fluid and filter, which he did.) Unable to duplicate the problem (it again works fine here in the city/flatland), he recommended I take it to his "transmission guy," who is an expert in these matters.

The ****** tech ran a diagnostic, and did find and clear a "shift error" code. However, he didn't feel that alone would explain what was happening. After some research, and drawing on his experience, he felt it was most likely NOT a mechanical problem, but instead an electronic problem. His suspicion is the "solenoid pack" in the transmission.

He claims that in older transmissions there was usually one solenoid dedicated to each gear, but in the modern vehicles, they are all grouped together in one assembly. He said it is not too hard to replace, but it will basically cost about $800-$1000 to do.

He recommended that I keep an eye on it, and try to test it again (another trip to the mountains...which is fine by me). Also try to test the "1" position, and see if that is reacting similarly. If it's still acting up, he suggests I replace that solenoid pack.

So, that's my tale of woe!

Has anyone heard of any similar problems, and do you have any input for me?

Thanks In Advance!

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a valve body problem to me, I have experienced a similar though not the same issue with a th350 towing a 7000lb camper down a steep grade in Shenandoah valley VA. I changed out the valve body and put a HD shift kit in it and problem solved, to this day that 79c10 is on the road with the original ****** in it.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure about the 42rle, but the 41te (a similar a604 derivative) is known to have issues with the solenoid pack going bad. there are mini screens on them to catch particles, and they can plug after time.

at first i figured the 42rle might use a similar solenoid pack, but unfortunately it does not. you have to drop the pan and it appears even pull the valve body. it's a bit of a job, but not sure if it's worth $800-1000. For that kind of money, I would expect a full rebuild, not just one part.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses.

Yeah, the tech had mentioned that he'd encountered other Liberty's with "Solenoid Pack" problems.

I'll have another opportunity to test it this coming weekend, as we are going camping. I'll be towing our little utility trailer, too...hope all works well.

I did just have the ****** serviced, so hopefully the clean fluid and new filter will help "unclog" any issues that there may be.

As for the $800-$1000, I haven't shopped around. I know I can't do the work myself. No space, no experience. Transmission problems scare me...