Long camping trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going on trip through the mnts here in the next couple of wks. Looking for a jerrycan carrier or gas container carrier ,any suggestions ? Would prefer not to have to carry inside the cabin if i can avoid it

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Going on trip through the mnts here in the next couple of wks. Looking for a jerrycan carrier or gas container carrier ,any suggestions ? Would prefer not to have to carry inside the cabin if i can avoid it
I tested out quite a few last summer.
Biggest issue is forget swing gate mounting. Libby swing gates are rated to the weight of a spare wheel and nothing else. I found there really isn’t anywhere to put traditional jerry can mounts other than drilling the rear doors.
I ended up going with the cheapo 20L roto pax nock off and placed them on the roof rack. Carried fuel water and my double swag a few thousand miles this way.
One can get a swing unit for an aftermarket bumper, but these days that’s a custom fab only option and far from affordable in my opinion.

I have been tossing around rear door mounts or saddleback over the third windows. The latter creates a massive blind spot while driving so I gave up on it.

The downside to rear door mount is if done improperly it will bust up your windows given the close quarters and difficulty of installation.

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tested out quite a few last summer.
Biggest issue is forget swing gate mounting. Libby swing gates are rated to the weight of a spare wheel and nothing else. I found there really isn’t anywhere to put traditional jerry can mounts other than drilling the rear doors.
I ended up going with the cheapo 20L roto pax nock off and placed them on the roof rack. Carried fuel water and my double swag a few thousand miles this way.
One can get a swing unit for an aftermarket bumper, but these days that’s a custom fab only option and far from affordable in my opinion.

I have been tossing around rear door mounts or saddleback over the third windows. The latter creates a massive blind spot while driving so I gave up on it.

The downside to rear door mount is if done improperly it will bust up your windows given the close quarters and difficulty of installation.
I've seen a few guys use straps with a roto pax on the spare 1 roto on each side of the tire strapped down. Granted they were small 3 gallons max. But might try that and see how it goes. I dont have a carrier up top. I wouldnt mind mounting onto side of the rig but I'd have to find somebody to do it properly

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I've seen a few guys use straps with a roto pax on the spare 1 roto on each side of the tire strapped down. Granted they were small 3 gallons max. But might try that and see how it goes. I dont have a carrier up top. I wouldnt mind mounting onto side of the rig but I'd have to find somebody to do it properly
Yeah, the 20L (5 ish gallon)longs fit and strapped perfectly, both horizontal and vertical near gear or on their own. Personally I think the branded rotopax and thei fancy attachment points are like yeti coolers- over priced and questionable quality for said price. Found many clones indistinguishable beyond the branding for very fair prices. If you dig you can get the ones I bought off eBay for another 50$. Otherwise you are gonna spend about 400$ for two 20L cans and the funky attachment hardware…and still have the issue of nowhere to bolt them.they are trendy, so expensive and the pandemic pricing.

I got crossbars, a roof basket, and the two cans for less than that.

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the 20L (5 ish gallon)longs fit and strapped perfectly, both horizontal and vertical near gear or on their own. Personally I think the branded rotopax and thei fancy attachment points are like yeti coolers- over priced and questionable quality for said price. Found many clones indistinguishable beyond the branding for very fair prices. If you dig you can get the ones I bought off eBay for another 50$. Otherwise you are gonna spend about 400$ for two 20L cans and the funky attachment hardware…and still have the issue of nowhere to bolt them.they are trendy, so expensive and the pandemic pricing.

I got crossbars, a roof basket, and the two cans for less than that.
Oh I'm getting knock offs I'll be hopping on Amazon and getting some low priced gear that works

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Oh I'm getting knock offs I'll be hopping on Amazon and getting some low priced gear that works
Yeah, I had to go to eBay to get the lowest price. Were averaging about 100$ or more each for just the cans back in June

Should note here that this style is technically illegal if you live I no California

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had to go to eBay to get the lowest price. Were averaging about 100$ or more each for just the cans back in June

Should note here that this style is technically illegal if you live I no California
Az living for me

Latest posts

Members online