lockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An Aussie or LockRite locker is a simple inexpensive automatic locker, easy to install but can lead to snapped axles if you drive aggressively.

tjkj2002 is right, an ARB is the best but you pay for the advantages and not everybody has the tools or the skill to install one.

You can accomplish a lot on open axles, it just makes it more of a challenge.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am open front and rear but I am very curious how the jeep would behave on different surfaces with just the front locked (aussie or whatever).

gypsy933

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it still good for daily driving and such. i think thats what i am worried about the most is how it affects it on the street.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it still good for daily driving and such. i think thats what i am worried about the most is how it affects it on the street.

Following is my opinion and may be entirely wrong.
Some people love the lunchbox locker (aussie, poertrax, etc.) and others hate them. They take some getting used to, especially with low traction conditions like rain, sand, snow, etc..
Limited slip differentials are close to invisible on the street and just give you better traction, but it seems people complain about them wearing out quickly and not being very effective off road.
The ARB air locking differential is completely invisible on the street leaving you with an open diff and when you engage it you have a totally locked axle like a spool. The biggest con to the ARB is the price as it is quite expensive, but if you will utilize it and find it worth it to you it is worth its weight in imported french bottled water.

gypsy933

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks lots, i will take this knowledge and go on to the future....lol and just go wheeling

ericautopart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Following is my opinion and may be entirely wrong.
Some people love the lunchbox locker (aussie, poertrax, etc.) and others hate them. They take some getting used to, especially with low traction conditions like rain, sand, snow, etc..
Limited slip differentials are close to invisible on the street and just give you better traction, but it seems people complain about them wearing out quickly and not being very effective off road.
The ARB air locking differential is completely invisible on the street leaving you with an open diff and when you engage it you have a totally locked axle like a spool. The biggest con to the ARB is the price as it is quite expensive, but if you will utilize it and find it worth it to you it is worth its weight in imported french bottled water.

Sounds pretty good to me. Although I've got a trac lock in my V8 explorer which works well when it's wet. Def. not invisible and it's got 140,000 on it. I always recommend ARB air lockers..just so damn expensive.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good to me. Although I've got a trac lock in my V8 explorer which works well when it's wet. Def. not invisible and it's got 140,000 on it. I always recommend ARB air lockers..just so damn expensive.

That is much better than what I have read around here. My sisters old mustangs (95 gt and 03 svt) both had a posi and were a ton of fun, but the 95 sucked at the track peg legging a lot while the 03 was always having both wheels participate. I don't remember exactly but I think the 95 had something like 35,000 miles on it with almost all of it being driven all civil-like on the street.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Have run the Aussie for about a year now. It "clicks" when turning,coasting.I do not find it annoying. I think it is better than welding the spiders. It was very simple to install. As far as driving in rain,snow,whatever,no problem. Tires do need to be within a couple or 5 psi of each other on the hardtop. Would I buy it again? Yes.

gypsy933

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i like what i am hearing bout the aussie and its cheaper then the ARB. Now to just come up with some cash and see if the wife will let me do it

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i like what i am hearing bout the aussie and its cheaper then the ARB. Now to just come up with some cash and see if the wife will let me do it
Just to warn you there have been alot of issues with the aussies and 8.25's.The 8.25's have alot of variances and the aussie will either work or self destruct fast in a 8.25.A problem found by aussie themselfs and why they still sell them I don't know.Most of the issues seem to be in '06+ 8.25's since they changed some things around in them about that time.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since my KJ is wife's DD and I don't want funny business in the rear axle, I'm only considering a DTT or an ARB... Front, only an ARB (one downside of a NV242)

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
An Aussie or LockRite locker is a simple inexpensive automatic locker, easy to install but can lead to snapped axles if you drive aggressively.

An ARB or OX locker is a complex expensive manually selectable locker, difficult to install but can lead to snapped axles if you drive aggressively.

A Detroit locker is a simple expensive automatic locker, difficult to install but can lead to snapped axles if you drive aggressively.

A welded diff is a simple inexpensive permanent locker, easy to install but can lead to snapped axles if you drive aggressively.

An open diff is a simple inexpensive non locker, easy to install but can lead to snapped axles if you drive aggressively.

Fixed that for ya bro

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why do you have be like that......lol so i guess it is just kinda hit n` miss then?
Yep a hit or miss with lunchbox lockers.

To avoid any of those issues you will want a full carrier replacement locker(or LSD) like a Detroit Locker,Detroit TrueTrac(LSD),or the ARB air locker.The Detroits do not cost that much more the a aussie but they require professional install at another $250-$350.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lockers? pfftt never needed them.
spend the money to get a good one like ox or arb.
You haven't really wheeled yet:D

Once you go ARB you will never want anything else.OX lockers have a cool idea but a pain for front install,can't use them in a KJ anyways as the do not make one for the 8.25 and the D30 one will not work on the D30A(or the steel version due to interference with the mounts),and your guess is good as anyones if they actually are still around or will be around.

Reaction score
You haven't really wheeled yet:D

Once you go ARB you will never want anything else.OX lockers have a cool idea but a pain for front install,can't use them in a KJ anyways as the do not make one for the 8.25 and the D30 one will not work on the D30A(or the steel version due to interference with the mounts),and your guess is good as anyones if they actually are still around or will be around.

haha. 1 year from now i will bring my jeep cross country and prove i can do it with out lockers. your jeep can watch as i do everything and not get a single scratch.

Latest posts

Members online