Locker/Limited Slip advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a locker or limited slip diff for my KJ. I was looking at the Power Trax, but then read a bit about the Detroit True Trac.

Someone please speak to me about these (and others if there's something I should know about) in idiot terms so I can follow without getting confused.

My KJ is a daily driver, but I'd like it to be very capable off road as well.

AndySRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

http://www.houseofthud.com/differentials.htm

Basically with a locker both wheels will spin at the same speed while under power even if one of those wheels is off of the ground. A limited slip will allow one tire to turn faster than the other, but transfers more torque to the wheel with more available traction than an open differential does.

thanks to jeger from L.O.S.T. for the links and the description.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ooops... I should've been clearer about what I wanted to know.

I know what a locker and/or a LSD does. I want first hand impressions from either or better yet from someone who's experienced both first hand.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have a ARB airlocker in the rear of my KJ,when off it acts just like a open diff(just like what you got now) but hit a switch and the ARB locks up and both rear wheels so they spin the same speed no matter what.Even if one is in the air,one is on ice,or turning a corner.I alsp go a True Trac up front,can't hardly tell it's there,very good on road manners and is awsome offroad.I would recommend a ARB,since it is a selectable locker(you can turn it off) but it is pricy,about $700 for the locker and $150 for the compressor and then you got install labor on top of that.If that's to pricy I would highly recommend the True Trac over the the power trax,the TT road maners are way better than the power trax.I think the true trac is a little cheaper to.Since the TT has no clutches(has worm gears)it doesn't wear out like other LSD's.The power Trax is a "lunch box" locker and have been known to fail/stop working after a few years.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:
Well I have a ARB airlocker in the rear of my KJ,when off it acts just like a open diff(just like what you got now) but hit a switch and the ARB locks up and both rear wheels so they spin the same speed no matter what.Even if one is in the air,one is on ice,or turning a corner.I alsp go a True Trac up front,can't hardly tell it's there,very good on road manners and is awsome offroad.I would recommend a ARB,since it is a selectable locker(you can turn it off) but it is pricy,about $700 for the locker and $150 for the compressor and then you got install labor on top of that.If that's to pricy I would highly recommend the True Trac over the the power trax,the TT road maners are way better than the power trax.I think the true trac is a little cheaper to.Since the TT has no clutches(has worm gears)it doesn't wear out like other LSD's.The power Trax is a "lunch box" locker and have been known to fail/stop working after a few years.

Now that is what I was after, tjkj.

So, if I go with the True Trac front/back setup what do I need to look for? Chrysler 8.25, right? Will it be the same part for front/back or will it specify which is for front/back?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the front/rear TT will have different pt#'s(sorry don't have them off hand).They at least make TT for the front/rear though.Make sure you get the dana30 TT for 27 spline axles for the front and 8.25 with 29 splines for the rear.

ogfalcon

Reaction score
I have a TrueTrac and absolutely love it. You can't even tell it's there when driving on the street, but when you get off-road and in the soft stuff, that thing locks up quicker than any other limited slip I've seen. Plus, since it doesn't have any clutches, it should last a lot longer than other limited slip systems. If you decide to get one, you won't be disappointed.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Detroit True Trac is the best Limited Slip for front/and or rear.

The Powertrax NO SLIP is the best LOCKER (road manners might not be to your liking for mostly road use)other than the ARB which is the BEST SELECTABLE...............just my opinion.

A thought.............the final cost of Detroit TT front and rear is approaching the cost of an ARB Air Locker in the rear.

Always something to think about - do what is best for YOUR USAGE.

decisions.......decisions

Good luck,
Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave said:

The Powertrax NO SLIP is the best LOCKER (road manners might not be to your liking for mostly road use)other than the ARB which is the BEST SELECTABLE...............just my opinion.

A thought.............the final cost of Detroit TT front and rear is approaching the cost of an ARB Air Locker in the rear.

Good luck,
Dave
I'd have to disagree with you on PowerTrax being the best locker,it uses the stock carrier(just replaces the spider gears) which is known to be one of the weekest links in differentals.The detroit locker has the same road manners(maybe just a little worse) as the PowerTrax and replaces the carrier with a stronger one,the military,********* 4-wheelers,and drag racers swear by it.Also the Detriot locker is not that much more than the PowerTrax.The ARB air locker or the OX locker(cable operated) are the hands down best selectable lockers,but sadly they don't make OX lockers for the 8.25.You are right about the TrueTrac,it is a gear driven LSD so there is no clutches to wear out and has more preload than other LSD's.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:
Dave said:

Good luck,
Dave
I'd have to disagree with you on PowerTrax being the best locker,it uses the stock carrier(just replaces the spider gears) which is known to be one of the weekest links in differentals.The detroit locker has the same road manners(maybe just a little worse) as the PowerTrax and replaces the carrier with a stronger one,the military,********* 4-wheelers,and drag racers swear by it.Also the Detriot locker is not that much more than the PowerTrax.The ARB air locker or the OX locker(cable operated) are the hands down best selectable lockers,but sadly they don't make OX lockers for the 8.25.You are right about the TrueTrac,it is a gear driven LSD so there is no clutches to wear out and has more preload than other LSD's.

You are correct about the Power Trax. I misstated. I meant to say that it is the best for his usage possibly. The ARB is the best overall as I said - in my opinion. . He asked about the TT so it is not a locker but if you bought 2 of them (front and rear) you are approaching the cost of the ARB (minus the compressor) so if you think about it there is not too much difference in cost. I guess it depends on who is installing them though. Of course your front would still be open.

I thought the Detroit Locker was a lot more expensive and he was referring to a TT so I didn't bring it up.

He needs to determine what is best for him and his usage. That is what will determine if he should consider ARB or Detroit TT or maby a Detroit Locker. If he is going to be on pavement almost all the time a TT front and rear would be good and be better off road than open. But if he wants better off road he is going to need a locker in the rear and a TT up front. Then he will give up road manners for better off road ability - - unless it's an ARB of course.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave said:
tjkj2002 said:
Dave said:

Good luck,
Dave

You are correct about the Power Trax. I misstated. I meant to say that it is the best for his usage possibly. The ARB is the best overall as I said - in my opinion. . He asked about the TT so it is not a locker but if you bought 2 of them (front and rear) you are approaching the cost of the ARB (minus the compressor) so if you think about it there is not too much difference in cost. I guess it depends on who is installing them though. Of course your front would still be open.

I thought the Detroit Locker was a lot more expensive and he was referring to a TT so I didn't bring it up.

He needs to determine what is best for him and his usage. That is what will determine if he should consider ARB or Detroit TT or maby a Detroit Locker. If he is going to be on pavement almost all the time a TT front and rear would be good and be better off road than open. But if he wants better off road he is going to need a locker in the rear and a TT up front. Then he will give up road manners for better off road ability - - unless it's an ARB of course.

Dave
I agree,just looked it up and the Detroit locker for the 8.25 is $600,about $200 more than the PowerTrax but the extra $200 is well worth it.I love my TT up front,it really performs in the slippery stuff and most of the time I don't even need to engage my ARB.In my opinion the "lunch box lockers" like PowerTrax are not worth the money,easier to install? Yes but not as strong as a true locker,in my opinion of course.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002.....so you priced the Detroit Locker. $600 and a TT for the front is about $400 (I'm guessing) and there's $1,000 so if you went that way it's about what the ARB costs minus the compressor. No matter how you look at it you're emptying your pockets.

I thing the important thing is to be sure what you want/need first so you only need to do it once.

Dave

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Detriot is stronger for sure. However a little most costly and little more difficult to install. Need to reset the backlash and press on bearings.

The power-trax is more than stronger enough for most KJ owners. The 3.7 v6 and 31-32" tires is not really that much of a load. If you where running 33+" tires and some higher power engines or really liked to get on the throttle then lunchbox locker style might not be the best.

There are tons of people using the powertrax no-slip and i think only one person has broken their and he admits he was actually trying to break it for months. Anything can be broken if you try hard enough. I've actually seen the axle shaft sheer before a powertrax no-slip gave way.

Latest posts

Members online