Little rocker panel carnage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, after my last wheeling trip I discovered this.

You must be registered for see images attach

There's a nice dent under the front door's plastic crap and the rear part of the rocker cover comes off on it's own. Right now it's being held in place by tenacity and thats it. Anyone ever remove these pieces of crap and fill all the wee holes? If so, how'd it go for you?

I expect that I can fill the holes with a short strand fiberglass filler and then sand the lot smooth and line-x it.

Once that's done I'm shopping for some steel to fab my own rock rails. I've long removed the factory thin-as-tinfoil tubes because they suck.

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Took the side plastic off,big dent,several small ones,front bumper,same,big dent,no damage visible from outside.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah those plastic things like to hide damage. I bent up those crappy mopar rails and didn't realize the damage they did. I took my plastic covers off when I got some rock sliders and haven't figured out how to fill those holes yet. I'm not really worried about rust or anything here in the desert, but if you figure out an easy way to fill them post up.

I have a few visible dents and dings now the plastic pieces are long gone. But my sliders take all the abuse now.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lowes has plastic plugs that pop right in there and stay put. I'm sure most any hardware will have the same thing

Boiler

Reaction score
If you make small masking tape circles and covered them up, would Line-x span the gap and then harden? I'm guessing it wouldn't stick to the mask right, but really all you need is for it to stick to itself...might ask them if there is a trick that they use for stuff like this.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you make small masking tape circles and covered them up, would Line-x span the gap and then harden? I'm guessing it wouldn't stick to the mask right, but really all you need is for it to stick to itself...might ask them if there is a trick that they use for stuff like this.

Reminds me of something a friend used to say about cheap rocker-panel repair...

"Just needs some duct tape and Duraguard!"

I think he believed it was a common trick among used car dealers / cheap body shops :)

Now you have me wondering if that would work too though! haha

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Tommud, do the Lowes plastic pop ins clip to the plastic rocker piece? I lost a few clips during their removal installing the Super Sliders and have some sorry excuses for replacements on there now that barely do the job. I get worried that I will lose those trip pieces everytime I wash her. Does anyone know the part number or even if they can be ordered from the dealer?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
what I was talking about was a plug that goes into the hole and covers it, thus you have no plastic crap there anymore. Looks better

Boiler duct tape will work I know of at least 4 wheel drive mags that did project trucks and did the same thing covered the holes with thin tape and Line-X'd over the whole panel, could not even tell there were holes there

everyone just needs rock rails problem solved and no more carnage

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Think I might just go and buy a big box of tampons, some fiberglass resin and plug the holes.:D Seriously though, it might just work. Soak the tampons in the resin, poke 'em into the holes, let 'em cure and use a flush cut saw to trim off the excess. Then sand smooth and line-x the lot.

Whadya think of that?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Think I might just go and buy a big box of tampons, some fiberglass resin and plug the holes.:D Seriously though, it might just work. Soak the tampons in the resin, poke 'em into the holes, let 'em cure and use a flush cut saw to trim off the excess. Then sand smooth and line-x the lot.

Whadya think of that?

Just pull the rip cord.....what do you think they have a rip cord stringy thingy attached for?

:D

Dave

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally took the plastic crap off. Most unceremoniuosly I might add. Pass side had a 10" long dent about 1/2" deep. Drilled a pile of tiny holes and used a slide hammer to pull the dent. Filled with fiberglass filler and line-x'd it. Took the driver's side off today, have to do the same there.

Pass side after the fix...

Driver's side damage hiding under plastic crapolla...

I'll be repairing the driver's side tomorrow night, unless of course my Dobby decides to give birth.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost like the look without the plastic rocker covers... been trying to decide if i want to pull off my rails and my rocker covers... I am also contemplating removing the front bumper and making a wrangler style dual tube bumper with hoop to fit... it would open the front of the wheel wells up a little... has anyone done such a thing to date?

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I almost like the look without the plastic rocker covers... been trying to decide if i want to pull off my rails and my rocker covers... I am also contemplating removing the front bumper and making a wrangler style dual tube bumper with hoop to fit... it would open the front of the wheel wells up a little... has anyone done such a thing to date?

INC adapted a TJ? front bumper to his,looked good.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoping to do it in a way that will give me room for a winch, Figuring I will make older CJ style turn signals on the grille, and some sort of wrangler or other side signals on hood to compensate for lack of factory signals... any links to see this INC jeep to take a look at it?

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, though it says his picture has been moved or deleted and his "*********" blog turns up nothing

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blah blah blah, bunch of thread jackers....

So, went and repaired the driver's side today. Too much other stuff got in the way of my doing it earlier. Here come the pics...

Crappy cel phone pic

Another crappy cel phone pic..

While I was waiting for filler to cure I broke out the buffer and some Meguiar's Ultimate stuff. Took alot of the scratches and stuff off but there's still a few. I'll only ever get rid of those with bedliner.

Next up, Rock Rails.:D