Little heat at idle...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Detroit

Reaction score
Well something new today. My 02 liberty has very little heat. At idle it’s not warm enough to keep you warm. Give it gas and you get nice hot heat on the passenger side and better heat on drivers side. Well it’s 8 degrees right now and while moving the outside air is so cold that I get hardly any heat while moving. When I stop at a light I put in neutral and rev a bit and I’m back to nice warm air.

As I just bought this day before yesterdy I’m not sure what’s been done in the past. Today at work I opened the coolant cap and it was a rust color with sludge and foam. I lifted it up and drained all the coolant. Coolant wouldn’t come out of the radiator I had to hook up a pressure tester and Pressurize it and the. Out comes some nasty thick funk. Got that all taken care of and behind the coolant reservoir I took the two hoses off to the heater core and hooked up a garden hose and clean them out. At first nothing would come out then the water was able to push through and again out came some nasty sludge. I did it to both outlets until the water was nice and clean. After all of that I still have no heat. What are your thoughts?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well something new today. My 02 liberty has very little heat. At idle it’s not warm enough to keep you warm. Give it gas and you get nice hot heat on the passenger side and better heat on drivers side. Well it’s 8 degrees right now and while moving the outside air is so cold that I get hardly any heat while moving. When I stop at a light I put in neutral and rev a bit and I’m back to nice warm air.

As I just bought this day before yesterdy I’m not sure what’s been done in the past. Today at work I opened the coolant cap and it was a rust color with sludge and foam. I lifted it up and drained all the coolant. Coolant wouldn’t come out of the radiator I had to hook up a pressure tester and Pressurize it and the. Out comes some nasty thick funk. Got that all taken care of and behind the coolant reservoir I took the two hoses off to the heater core and hooked up a garden hose and clean them out. At first nothing would come out then the water was able to push through and again out came some nasty sludge. I did it to both outlets until the water was nice and clean. After all of that I still have no heat. What are your thoughts?

Sounds like someone used other than the recommended antifreeze ( HOAT ) screws up the whole system really bad for sure.
I would do hoses. thermostat and water pump to make sure the old crap is gone plus its circulating like it should do
Heater cores on these is really hard to flush all out due to their design, you may of gotten lucky

Detroit

Reaction score
Yeah I ran water through the hoses as well to make sure Everything was circulating. I am leaning toward a gunked up water pump or thermostat. I will know more next week when I go back to work.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I ran water through the hoses as well to make sure Everything was circulating. I am leaning toward a gunked up water pump or thermostat. I will know more next week when I go back to work.

Thats why I suggested both, if HOAT coolant isn't used it will totally gum up everything in the system

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Use the Mopar thermostat only. Would also recommend the Mopar pump, hoses too.
The thermostat is located at engine side/lower rad hose.
You must be registered for see images attach

Detroit

Reaction score

Will do thank you! I’m going to just go ahead and replace the water pump as well. I hope the heater core will be fine.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I keep MOPAR thermostats in stock now all the time since nearest dealer is too far away from where I live now:happy175:

Ronin9965

Reaction score
May I ask what makes the difference between using a Mopar thermostat and a stant thermostat.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
May I ask what makes the difference between using a Mopar thermostat and a stant thermostat.

For some reason Stant etc just do not work, not at all
This is not just a few of us thinking they don't work, this is from 15 plus years of experience of people trying and then having to replace with a MOPAR

Throw a Mopar in and you will have no isses

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this out in my 02 many years ago. The tstat is an item that I try to use the OE versions in all my vehicles. Maybe superstition in some cases but they always work.

Ronin9965

Reaction score
For some reason Stant etc just do not work, not at all
This is not just a few of us thinking they don't work, this is from 15 plus years of experience of people trying and then having to replace with a MOPAR

Throw a Mopar in and you will have no isses

Thank you for responding I will try the Mopar

Shane Giggie

Reaction score
I used a Napa water pump on my 06 and it's been working fine.