Limp Mode 2011 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

some1help

Reaction score
Hi! I have been searching the internet for some answers to my Jeep problem and came across this page. I have 181,000 miles on my 2011 Jeep Liberty, I bought 2 years ago and it had 145,000. I LOVE MY JEEP and actually I haven't had any issues issues until 2 weeks ago. To set the scene; it was about 100 degrees outside (I am not sure if the heat has anything to do with it but I will just throw out any possible factors) I was turning around in a parking lot and the 3 lights went on that never went on before, the check engine, and Red Flashing light with a lightning bolt inside and another light that showed a indicator of the car swerving. Im sorry if this is vague but I am trying my best and I am far from a mechanic. I shut off my engine immediately and opened the hood. My engine coolant was empty as well as my windshield washer fluid (I was told last oil change the washer fluid was leaking a bit but he said it was not going to effect the engine) Luckily I was by a Loews and was able to fill up the engine coolant. I found a local mechanic and was able to drive it there very slowly in a gear that I found out was called LIMP MODE. This is not a trusted mechanic it was just convenient to where I was. I had a very unfortunate incident happen with a car in the past so I do not trust mechanics unless I know them personally. So I was told that it was in LIMP Mode to protect the engine from further damage. $1,200 later I was called to pick up the car and on my way back to work the car did the same thing and the same lights came on. The mechanic did have it towed back to the shop so we will see. I am curious to see if anyone else has had this problem with their Jeep and can offer any advice.
Thank You,
Desperate for Answers

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
Did the Jeep overheat? Is the rad leaking ? Was the system pressure tested?
Yeiks-What exactly did this mechanic bill you for?
Refer to your owners manual for warning light conditions and fluid/ coolant requirements.
Only Hoat coolant or Zerex G-05 to be used. Any other coolant is the wrong coolant= flush time.
There will be stored codes present. Any shop can scan for stored codes.
Post back the stored problem codes numbers.

some1help

Reaction score
Hi! so happy to get a response. the receipt is home right now and I'm at work so the numbers might be off but I do have some texts back and forth so I'll tell you what he said was wrong at first.
So no it didn't overheat, I kept an eye on temp. gauge after filling engine coolant and I drove it in limp mode about .5 miles to a local mechanic. So the mechanic called once he fixed the leak in engine coolant ($500 to fix) but since the car was still in limp mode he said he would have to dig deeper and do a more extensive diagnosis.
This is the text I received "the fault with the Jeep: Engine core plug leaking coolant into crankshaft position sensor harness connector for years" and sent some pictures also. Honestly, to me it sounded like he just threw all those words together to sound like it was important lol. I don't have the exact breakdown of charges but, the total was $1,195. The parts were only $190 and labor was over $900. It took about 1 1/2 weeks for the car to be "finished".

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the Jeep limp mode actually fixed ? Was HOAT coolant actually used?
Any warning dash lights on now?

some1help

Reaction score
No it’s not fixed, he told me it was done so I went and picked it up I didn’t drive more than 10 miles before all the lights came back on that were on when I brought it to him. It went back in Limp Mode So he had a tow truck bring it back to the shop. He had someone come run the codes and found out that I need a PCM something is wrong with one of my internal computers.