Lightweight fiberglass hood/bonnet for the KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepsterkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of various ways to reduce the weight of my KJ, to help reduce it's fuel consumption...I have already fitted alloys with low rolling resistance tyres, which has saved several kilos and helped me get at least another 5 or so mpg, but to save more weight, without resorting to ripping out the carpet and rear seat, there are only two other ways to significantly reduce the weight simply and quickly...replace the KJ's heavy steel hood/bonnet and/or the even heavier rear door, with much lighter fiberglass versions. Question is, are such things even available for the KJ? And if so, who makes them?? Any ideas guys???

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I am thinking of various ways to reduce the weight of my KJ, to help reduce it's fuel consumption...I have already fitted alloys with low rolling resistance tyres, which has saved several kilos and helped me get at least another 5 or so mpg, but to save more weight, without resorting to ripping out the carpet and rear seat, there are only two other ways to significantly reduce the weight simply and quickly...replace the KJ's heavy steel hood/bonnet and/or the even heavier rear door, with much lighter fiberglass versions. Question is, are such things even available for the KJ? And if so, who makes them?? Any ideas guys???

No and it would take more than that to make any difference at all

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went from about 16-17 mpg to almost 21-23 mpg by going from an 02 to an 05... :gr_grin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Plus you would have to pay 5-600 at least for a fiberglass hood. I could buy a lot of gas for that

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am thinking of various ways to reduce the weight of my KJ, to help reduce it's fuel consumption...
Ha ha ..Here is one big way to reduce some weight! :gr_grin:
61818[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• dSmpvut.jpg
    dSmpvut.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 0

jeepsterkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from about 16-17 mpg to almost 21-23 mpg by going from an 02 to an 05... :gr_grin:

Well that is your fault for getting a Petrol (Gas) powered version...Mines a 2005 2.8 CRD with a six speed manual gear box and I am currently getting 36-40 mpg on average... After reading several KJ 2.8 CRD reviews, which all stated the average fuel consumption figures to be between 20 and 30mpg, this has come as a pleasant surprise. Just as well because here in the UK Diesel is more expensive than Petrol (Gas) and both fuels are far more expensive here than in the States...A Gallon (4.55 litres) of Diesel costs over $8 here!!! The first time I filled up the tank on my KJ it cost me £95 (that's almost $130)!!! Now you know why I am so desperate to save fuel!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that is your fault for getting a Petrol (Gas) powered version...Mines a 2005 2.8 CRD with a six speed manual gear box and I am currently getting 36-40 mpg on average... After reading several KJ 2.8 CRD reviews, which all stated the average fuel consumption figures to be between 20 and 30mpg, this has come as a pleasant surprise. Just as well because here in the UK Diesel is more expensive than Petrol (Gas) and both fuels are far more expensive here than in the States...A Gallon (4.55 litres) of Diesel costs over $8 here!!! The first time I filled up the tank on my KJ it cost me £95 (that's almost $130)!!! Now you know why I am so desperate to save fuel!

Before the untimely demise of my KJ it weighed 6400lbs and around town here at 6200 feet+ I was lucky to get 6mpgs.

Loved every second of it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Couldn't give me 10 CRDs for a dollar, I'll keep buying gassers

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ JUST GETTING READY TO POST JUST ABOUT THE SAME WORDING AS TJKJ DID.
To me it just does making any sense at all why I would ever want to own one. I've been offered some really great deals on a few from people I know on the forums, but I also knew why they were selling.
In the end its all about cost, overall upkeep over the years, availability of parts, and ease of working on them.
Very easy decision :gr_grin:

Latest posts

Members online