Lights flicker when turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
05 Liberty Renegade with just over 36,000 miles on it. She has an issue that is spuratic and the dealer cannot replicate. She drives with her headlights and foglights on at night all the time, why? Cause the fog lights look awesome, nuff said.

But when she puts the blinker on the to make a turn occasionally the lights will flash when the wheel comes back and the relay clicks off? I feel like it may be due to the foglamps drawing too much power or something, but if anyone has ideas, let me know.

gramifications

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've experienced the same thing on my '04 Liberty Renegade. I think it has something to do with the whole stalk part that has the controls for the headlights and the windshield wipers. Its the same part and I think that there is some issue with a short in the stalk or possibly something to do with the clock spring, though I don't believe the clock spring has anything to the wiring for the lights, but who knows.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem, when it spring backs it just clicks and flickers the fogs. I reported this somewhere here a while ago..
No biggie as the stalk is has too much movement and it is clunky.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
stop signaling

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well not signaling is not an option, its a $75 fine in CT. If I lived in Rhode Island it would be a different story.

The dealer already replaced the stalk once under warranty and it solved the issue temporarily, but it's back again.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it is the way it works. Stalk is just not subtle enough. Does it happen all the time, every time you turn? If it is that irritating, maybe you can run another relay, and disable the switch on the stalk, instead use another one.

rxraptor02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does this as well. I also noticed the dome light will flash sometimes as well.

Kinda like a disco..... or something...

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine also does it but it doesnt seem like a big deal ... If anyone gets a permanent fix (electrical one ;P) id like to hear it....

Its a problem with the switch on the column. atleast my problem was with the switch. If you change the dimness setting on my dash lights to a dimmer setting its far enough away from 'dome light on' brightness that bumps dont make it flash on. if i wiggle the switch in the 'as bright as the dash lights get' setting the dome light will try to turn on. (dome light being the setting when you twist it just a little further than 'as bright as the dash lights get' setting.

:confused: ... idea.gif :D