Light Bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after reading a how-to make my own light bar... I think I'm in...with a few changes. Mainly I want to know how bright I can get these lights to be without using HID lights. I'm thinking 4 would be nice and as bright as can be. Thanks!

polomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, after doing some research I found that it is possible to purchase some really powerful lights for a lot less than one would expect. On ebay I found 4 KC imitation lights at 130W each. Since headlights are about 55W each that would be like having a little over 9 headlights on top of my lib \:D/ . I put the link for the store below so you guys can check it out...it's by far the cheapest I've found em. Oh, and as for improvements over the "budget light bar" how-to thread I'm not sure just yet but I think that i'm going to try to use a hollow pole or bar of some kind to house the wiring. Also, I'm going to use a sealant for the holes where wires come out of to weatherproom my baby. I'm even playing with the idea of putting 2 very small lights mounted just inside the cargo glass window so I could open the glass and have some light for various activities like tent pitching or what not. Those smaller light would be mounted on the inside prob on some sort of adjustable mount so I could aim them...hummmmm. So anyhow, let me know what you guys think.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do it do it!! Great ideas to. I would love to see the mounted lights in the back. Are you also thinking of setting up some rear lights to increase visibility when backing up?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good Day,

I am relatively new on this forum.
My wife and I (Jennifer & Ryan) own a 2004 Liberty Sport 4X4, 3.7 liter which we have had since the 12th of December '06.
So we are still new to the Jeep scene.
I however own two classic Austin Mini's! My 1976 is a full group N Ralley car which I built myself, and my '79 I am going
to build up for my wife.

Now, as far as mounting additional lighting in the rear glass; Walmart here in Canada sells a se of PIAA clone miniature 55
watt driving lights for $40. They are approximately two and a half inches in diameter and 3.25 inches long. They are also
very light.
Being very light, you could use 3M double sided adhesive; like the stuff used on vent shade's, body kits, etc. and mount them
directly on the inside of the glass hatch back, utilizing the supplied mounting brackets. Route the wires using self adhesive
wire mounts up to the coiled rear window defroster. Wire wrap them neatly and coil the lighting wires as well.
Then it is up to you how and where you want to install the relay ( I would place everything behind the access hatch on the
passenger side in the rear and tap into the 12 volt accessory outlet to power it up.) and an change over switch, which allows
you to either have the light come on at the same time as the dome lights, or use the change over switch to manually turn 'em
on.

I am in the process of doing this very modification.

The other alternative is magnetic mount 55 watt quartz halogen flood lights. ( Have two of these and run them off the 12 volt
accessory port (With a relay wired in and hidden so that the factory wiring doesn't fry and cause a melt down!
It is much easier then the aforementioned install, and it allows you to position the lights where ever you need light.
Unplug one or both and plug them in the front cigar lighter and place the lamp on the roof, under the hood, etc.

I would post photo's of the install, but we don't own a digital camera, nor a scanner.
If you need additional info, just let me know. Wiring is one of my favorite hobbies! My '76 Mini has four Bosch Ralley
lamps which are ten inches in diameter, 130 watt bulbs each and a separate 30 ampere relay per lamp. When all 4 are turned
on and you stand a good 7 feet in front of them, you can feel the heat they put out!

By the way, I use a Mac Power PC which is about 9 years old!

Cheers
Ry

Brigrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to draw you off topic, but my name is Ryan Too, and my wife is named jennifer...lol small world eh!

Latest posts

Members online