Light bar Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting a light bar for a long time now. I called my local dealership and asked how much to install if I bought it. They said they didn't want to do it and that I should call a 4x4 specialty place, So I called a few of those and they all didn't want to do it. Is it really that hard to install?

I'm a bit of a novice, I have done carpentry work, furnature building, and can install my own reciver, so I know my way around tools, but should I even attempt installing a Light bar? I've never really worked on a car before.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it's wicked hard, and involves drilling several holes into your roof, if I remember the dealership wants about $800 to install.
You could do it, it does come with all the templets and the such, but if you screw up, that's it. If the dealership screws it up, you can point the finger at them.

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I thought as much. I was quoted like 699 to install the thing. But if they don't want to even do it then you know it's a pain in the ass. Damn

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea basically you are just either going to have to shop around, or try and do this yourself. The main reason the dealsership wont do it is because of liability, but that was already mentioned.

One thing you might wanna try, and this depends on where you live, is calling places that sell truck accessories, and see if they can quote you a price. There are a few places where i live that would probably do it.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put this in the same bucket with aftermarket sunroofs.... things best left for doing at the factory. You could take the bennett route and put a steel basket on top of your jeep, then simply mount the big-@$$ hella lights on that.............

:)

-Blu

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a local panel beater do the drilling of my roof for the lightbar install and i did the rest cost me $100.00 for peace of mine cause i am a big chicken #-o

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would think my first post would be a hello. But I had to write this first since I installed a light bar on my gf's Jeep.

She is the owner I am simply an admirer. But she has a 2005 Liberty Renegade and we love it, especially in deep puddles and snow :eek:) I bought her the light bar to complete the cars look and installed it myself.

Here are my thoughts:

1) The instructions give no words, its like a universal picture book. Only issue is it becomes hard to see exact points to be working in so you do have to have some experience with DIY.

2) I only did this endeavor after doing many maintenance procedures on numerous cars I and other friends have owned in the past, not excluding multiple installs of other items from interior lighting, stereos, etc. to body kits, and engine work (i.e. turbos, etc.) So again I stress this is not an Amateur DIY project.

3) Took me almost 4 hours to complete, was taking my time.

4) You have to practically tear the car apart, the headliner, visors, A-pillars, console, dash, fuse box under the hood, battery, etc. It takes a little while to tear down all of these components.

5) Drilling into the hood is not as bad as it seems. I simply marked the holes, took a Steel Blue drill bit and my electric drill and went to town. Remember, this is a One way street, no take backs on this project once you reach this step.

6) I used silicone around the holes once drilling was complete, then did all the rivet tapping so it made a nice seal from weather and rust.

7) After that it becomes mostly plug n' play, although getting the wiring through the firewall can be a pain as the angle to get to the battery and fuse box is very awkward and must be reached from the outside in.

I am very proud of myself and feel accomplished for doing this by myself but it would take a little convincing to do again to someone elses car. Probably on the list of my top ten hardest DIY projects.

Latest posts

Members online