Lifting a 2wd KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my issue. As stated below, I have an 04 KJ 2WD. I got new front shocks this time last year because the originals ones were shot. I do need new rear shocks, but they're holding up so I've left them on.

With it being a 2wd, I do not see me taking it on any serious offroad trips. Now, maybe run it through a little mud hole along my road every now and then sure; but no serious trail riding or mud bogging or any of that.

Honestly I don't see a reason to spend $3000 on an OME lift for a 2wd that'll just be driven on the road. Or $1000 on a Frankenlift or any of that. I just need a little kit that'll let me sit higher. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm tired of hearing the same response. "Everything else is crap besides OME." I'm aware, but its not like I'll be using it for its purpose anyway.

Thanks guys.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bds lift is pretty good, 450 bucks for f+r springs all the hardware you need and rear shocks, idk where you saw an ome lift for $3000 though, i know teraflex also makes a budget boost, daystar and a couple other companies make one as well

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bds lift is pretty good, 450 bucks for f+r springs all the hardware you need and rear shocks, idk where you saw an ome lift for $3000 though, i know teraflex also makes a budget boost, daystar and a couple other companies make one as well

I'm not sure either. But I remember seeing it somewhere.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't see a reason to spend $3000 on an OME lift for a 2wd that'll just be driven on the road. Or $1000 on a Frankenlift or any of that. I just need a little kit that'll let me sit higher. Anyone have any ideas?

Not sure where you're getting your pricing from... OME can be had for under $800. I don't know what Frankenlift is running these days.

But yes to what the others suggested - clevis lift up front, extra isos out back... no one likes to recommend spacer-style lifts because they decrease the overall life of your suspension. It's wiser to spend a little more up front and have something last a lot longer.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I know you don't want to hear it but your springs are shot the way it is, even doing what has been suggested will more than likely just bring you back to stock height and still have a bad ride
OME/ Bilstein can be had for 750
Ironman from JBA can be had for 640 ( 4 springs and 4 shocks )
new kit on the market which I am testing now
So although you think it will cost 3000 bucks you are way off

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
Here's my issue. As stated below, I have an 04 KJ 2WD. I got new front shocks this time last year because the originals ones were shot. I do need new rear shocks, but they're holding up so I've left them on.

With it being a 2wd, I do not see me taking it on any serious offroad trips. Now, maybe run it through a little mud hole along my road every now and then sure; but no serious trail riding or mud bogging or any of that.

Honestly I don't see a reason to spend $3000 on an OME lift for a 2wd that'll just be driven on the road. Or $1000 on a Frankenlift or any of that. I just need a little kit that'll let me sit higher. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm tired of hearing the same response. "Everything else is crap besides OME." I'm aware, but its not like I'll be using it for its purpose anyway.

Thanks guys.

3000? That's a pretty big number. I was all in around 700 for mine on my kj

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

BDS isn't that good of a deal when you add in the front shocks adding at least another 250 to the price tag :shrug:
and Teraflex :happy175::happy175::happy175:

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw it somewhere. I'll try and find it again. If it wasn't OME, it was something from JeepinByAl...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks guys.

Sorry I am sitting here laughing my butt off
BUT think about this for a moment, follow along with me
98% of us spend way more time on the road than we do off road ( although we would all like it 98% dirt/2% highway)
But back on track, everyone talks about lifts/upgraded suspension as only coming into play when going off road.
Wouldn't you like to have a better ride/better overall handling on the roads/Railroad crossings and large potholes.
THIS is where an upgraded suspension comes into play every single day. We don't lift them to be good off road and ride like crap going down the highway. Even with my lift mine is more comfortable on the road than it ever was stock
So see where upgrading can be better ?
If you don't then .......................well we tried our best:shrug:

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what it was. JeepinByAl is way overpriced.
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Please go back to JBA he sells just springs / whole kits , the new Ironman as well as the top of the line one you mentioned
Go look around his site for more than 30 seconds he is NOT overpriced in what he sells, for what you get it is very resonable

Like I said we tried
99% get it its the 1% who you just walk away from shaking your head:happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175:

Last edited:

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the guy asked about budget boost, if he already has front shocks that are a year old im not guoing to try to convince him to spend extra money to get an ome lift when hes simply looking for a taller ride height, not to mention the bds lift and ome come in at right about the same price when all is said and done

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
the guy asked about budget boost, if he already has front shocks that are a year old im not guoing to try to convince him to spend extra money to get an ome lift when hes simply looking for a taller ride height, not to mention the bds lift and ome come in at right about the same price when all is said and done

BUT what you fail to think about is the fact he has springs that have to be sagged badly, so even running new quality shocks on the front for 6 months it has weaked them. Why would one replace everything but the shocks ? Do it all and its done and will last for the next 80-100,000 miles

Bure aghali............

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's for JBA's "Adjust-A-Strut" system - custom made Bilstein springs and shocks, custom made clevis, custom made shock mount, etc. His advertising even says "Mercedes Benz ride in a Jeep."

As Tom said, JBA sells a wide selection of OME shocks & springs, Bilstein shocks and now the new Ironman components - which sounds like a really good deal with a nice ride. In any case for less than $750 you can have a GREAT riding Jeep on road and 2.5" inches or so of lift too.

I understand the finances of new springs/shocks all around. I budgeted a few bucks a month and assembled my kit as the finances built up. Once all the pieces got here it took 3 hours or so (by myself) to install then I put on a set of tires that were needed anyway. The ride is WAY better than stock on the street (and pretty damn good on the trails when I need it off-road.)

You'll go from sagged like this:
You must be registered for see images

To lifted like this:

Bob

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's for JBA's "Adjust-A-Strut" system - custom made Bilstein springs and shocks, custom made clevis, custom made shock mount, etc. His advertising even says "Mercedes Benz ride in a Jeep."

As Tom said, JBA sells a wide selection of OME shocks & springs, Bilstein shocks and now the new Ironman components - which sounds like a really good deal with a nice ride. In any case for less than $750 you can have a GREAT riding Jeep on road and 2.5" inches or so of lift too.

I understand the finances of new springs/shocks all around. I budgeted a few bucks a month and assembled my kit as the finances built up. Once all the pieces got here it took 3 hours or so (by myself) to install then I put on a set of tires that were needed anyway. The ride is WAY better than stock on the street (and pretty damn good on the trails when I need it off-road.)

You'll go from sagged like this:

To lifted like this:

Bob

Bob, is yours 2wd or 4wd? I can't tell from the pictures.

Why even bother lifting a 4X2 Liberty?
Waste of money!
I'd rather have a bone stock 4X4 KJ than a lifted two wheel drive Liberty!

I like the look and don't have the money to buy a new-to-me 4x4 KJ. Mine was handed down to me and it was free so I'm taking it. Sorry I can't please you.

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now if I did have the money, my next purchase would be a 2006 CRD KJ Limited 4x4. But I don't have a money tree sitting out back, so that probably will never happen... :(

Latest posts

Members online