• Lift it, and enjoy the high life

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • LSD, no more open diffs for the fail

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Rainy day stash

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the background=
2004 KJ has 125k on it, just rebuilt the timing chain/tensioners, etc.
Suspension and tires have about 27k (specs below)
Passenger side ball joint is deadski.
Diffs, TC, CVs, Trans are all original with no apparent issues.
Plan on keeping the Libby for the long haul. The Jeep is my only vehicle, but since I walk to work I don't drive it every day. Weekend-warrior type off-roading, mainly woods trails, forest roads, logging trails and the like. Basically getting to hunting, hiking , morels, fishing, etc. Along with Midwest winters. It currently handles all these tasks pretty well, but I would like to do a bit more with the KJ.

But I just can't seem to decide, there are a few things that need to be done either way. I need to redo the wheels by powder coating (~$400), buy new lugs all the way around, and probably replace the exhaust soon.

Here are the options in my head
#1. LIFT+TIRES
Ironman lift, JBA 4.5 UCAs, terrafelx bumps.
General Grabber AT2s.
Front coil assembly alignment, and randoms
All told this adds up to about $2200.
Financially this is doable now, as long as nothing major goes wrong in the next 6-9 months with the KJ. (ie. engine blows up, trans. croaks)
Bonus- This option would allow me to give/sell cheap my current tires and suspension parts to by buddies 02 Rennie that is in serious need of both. Maybe recoup $250-300

#2 Add LSD in rear diff.
Fix the UBJ with standard parts and then add a Eaton Truetrac LSD in the rear diff.
This would give me better traction in snow without having to use the 4wd on the road as often. It would also add more capability off the tarmac
JBA has them for ~$680, not sure what the installation would coast (any ideas on that?)

Frankly, if I don't do either #1 or #2 soon, I probably never will. Which brings us to option #3

#3 Just fix the UBJ and stash money/parts away for general maintenance and rainy day repairs. The jeep already does what I need it to, why put any more into it than I have to?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I think the lift will be good but I am extremely biased. A DTT would be my next upgrade after I fix regular stuff and check to see if its worth it. BTW I don't see a front skid listed in your sig.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be doing the same as you. In my own head, I want to make the powertrain stronger before I add larger tires and a lift, which changes the geometry of the vehicle and the torque required to push the bigger tires. May want to look into changing gear ratio to match the new tired, so it will have the right ratio when all is said and done. Tommudd has a lot of knowledge in this area. At least I read a lot of his posts about that stuff. Plus, if you live where it snows, then the LSD will benefit you a lot, but then again, depending on the tires you choose, they will too. Anyway, I chose LSD on the poll. Just my 2c

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With your shot UBJ I'd say lift it for now, then save up to regear and do the LSD at the same time.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, tough call. With the miles on your jeep, if you have serviced the transmission regularly, then you should be ok there for a while. With that, do the lift first. If trans has not been serviced per FSM intervals, then you may want to have a slush fund for a trans down the road. Do the regear that you'll want with bigger tires, and an LSD after the lift. I bought my DTT for $565 new with free shipping. It's sitting next to my tool box right now as we speak.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is my nickels worth of advice..................
You're way past due on your suspension, springs and shocks are toast by now at 125,000. For me I love to cruise down the road in a comfortable ride so I'd do the lift for the upgrade/better ride/handling etc you get. Then when you need tires upgrade them plus regear if you feel its needed .

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom, your advice is worth more than a nickel:pimp:
My current suspension set up only has 25k on it, I re did it in 2011.

but you bring up a great possible addendum to option #1?

If I do only an Ironman lift, with just a the Boiler's .375 spacer up front and no clevis or extra isos, where would I be sitting? My best guess from the research I've done is about 21."

The reason I ask is that I can get a set of JBA "standard" UCAs used for $225 with about 18months on the them from another forum member.

Sitting at 21" will not make my 235-70/16 look too small.
Then when I need tires, I can add the clevis and isos, do the pinch welds to clear 245-75/16s

Does this plan hold water??

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'd lift it where you want to be and leave it. your going to need a second alignment in 6 months anyway and gives you another shot at trimming it to the height your going for if you get it off slightly.

Would rather put the first 6 months miles on a throw away set of tires and do a real tire size after.

If your tires look too small screw it, Can't have it all at once some times.

Rhino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of good advice on this thread for my wants! Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online