Lift kit advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeithKj02

Reaction score
Need your advice for my kj lift between an OME 1.5’ or skyjacker 2.5’ ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Need your advice for my kj lift between an OME 1.5’ or skyjacker 2.5’ ?

OME only
Skyhackers used to be good then they derated their front springs to same as stock and yes they say just like stock do, very bad
PLUS if you used the 927/948 spring combo you get 2.5 inches of lift
Do not order full spring kit since it comes with rear shocks for 1.5 inches of lift instead of 2/5

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
OME springs with OME and/or Bilstiens are what I’ve been told are the best option. I too have read the Skyslackers and Ironman kits aren’t what they used to be.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running rancho RS5000X shocks for a year or two and they're very good, plus lifetime warranty. I'm not a fan of bilsteins, ride too stiff. If you go to other jeep forums, they rave about the rancho/OME combo.
Just so you know, OME makes a variety of springs for the KJ but they're all designed to get you 1-1.5" of lift. Technically, the difference is supposed to be vehicle/accessory weight. The light/medium springs have the same rate (375 vs. 320 stock) but different heights and the heavy (HD) springs have thicker coils (i.e. stiffer). That overloads the suspension and that's how you get the 2.5" of lift. But depending on your sensitivity, it might be too much for your comfort. Some complain about it have problems with cv axle angles, etc., others love it.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I've been running rancho RS5000X shocks for a year or two and they're very good, plus lifetime warranty. I'm not a fan of bilsteins, ride too stiff. If you go to other jeep forums, they rave about the rancho/OME combo.
Just so you know, OME makes a variety of springs for the KJ but they're all designed to get you 1-1.5" of lift. Technically, the difference is supposed to be vehicle/accessory weight. The light/medium springs have the same rate (375 vs. 320 stock) but different heights and the heavy (HD) springs have thicker coils (i.e. stiffer). That overloads the suspension and that's how you get the 2.5" of lift. But depending on your sensitivity, it might be too much for your comfort. Some complain about it have problems with cv axle angles, etc., others love it.
For some reason I thought ranchos weren’t available anymore?

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the older RSX versions aren't available, no. But the successor to that shock RS5000X is available, yes. Check rockauto, though make sure you click "strut" instead of shock for fronts. That's just how they describe them... technically they're just shocks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
RS line is way cheaper than the RSX lineup
RSX lineup was almost or equal to Bilstein
RS is lower quality

Latest posts

Members online