Lift help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheSurvivor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so i know there are a lot of threads about lifts but i wanted to start my own so that it would be specific to my kj and the questions I have as well as to post about my progress once i get started on it.

I have a 2006 KJ sport with roughly 72,000 miles, my current center hub to bottom flare measurement is roughly 18.5 all around. My end goal is to have a KJ that i can do some off roading with on the weekends but still have a nice DD.

First off, i have been doing a lot of reading on this sit as well as on lost and some other forums. I have decided to go with a OME lift. Now i was looking at the Frankenlift and what that comes with as well as researching just getting the parts separate.

My question is why is the Frankenlift roughly $1,100 when i get just get all the H/D springs and struts for about $750 and then another $40 for the front bumpstops and 4 hockey pucks for like $5 for the rear and have it be under $800? Is there any advantage going with the Frankenlift over just ordering the parts separate and going with hockey pucks for the rear bumpstop?

Second, I am going to be running 245/70/r16's general grabber at2's will i have to re gear?

Third, Is there anything else i should be considering? I like the idea of keeping my lift budget under $900 but if there is a significant advantage to going the frankenlift route then i have no problem spending the extra few hundred.

Here are some pictures of my KJ as it is now

Attachments

• IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 25

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Advantage of the Frankenlift is that its already together which means you don't have to remove the front setup/take it somewhere to have the springs compressed etc. Plus the Frankenlift will net you close to 4 inches of lift compared to just springs alone giving you about 2.5-2.75. If you are running 245-70-16s then actually the spring lift will work out better for you, plus no need to buy the JBA upper control arms
Oh no need to regear with 245-70s

TheSurvivor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advantage of the Frankenlift is that its already together which means you don't have to remove the front setup/take it somewhere to have the springs compressed etc. Plus the Frankenlift will net you close to 4 inches of lift compared to just springs alone giving you about 2.5-2.75. If you are running 245-70-16s then actually the spring lift will work out better for you, plus no need to buy the JBA upper control arms
Oh no need to regear with 245-70s

So is the only advantage the fact that the frankenlift comes pre-assembled and gives you more lift?

Also I'm a little confused on how the frankenlift can get you close to 4 inches of lift but if i buy the same OME parts separate and use the teraflex for my front bumpstop and hockey pucks for the rear it is only 2.5 to 2.75? Can you explain to me how that works?

And just to make sure I am interpreting this correct your saying bc I'm going to run the 245/70's I'm better off going the non-frankenlift route?

Thank You for answering the questions I have Tom I really appreciate it

Armysniper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir, Frankenlift is a lot taller than the ome springs cause they use different parts like spacers and top plates. With that said I have OME spring and Rancho shocks and if I you do 3/8 clevis lift and 3/8 top plate you can get pretty much up there like the frankenlift. Jeeping by Al have everything you need to get the maximum lift. By the way listens to Tom, he knows his shit no bs. Hes been lifting kj for many years so anything you might think to do, he's already done it.
Good luck with your lift.

djr8505

Reaction score
Tom knows his lifts. I can speak from experience, it is much nicer to have the strut pre-assembled and ready for install than it is to try and compress it yourself or bring it to a shop to pay someone to compress it. for your 245 selection 2-3 inches should be more than enough. Especially once we handle the pinch welds.

TheSurvivor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom knows his lifts. I can speak from experience, it is much nicer to have the strut pre-assembled and ready for install than it is to try and compress it yourself or bring it to a shop to pay someone to compress it. for your 245 selection 2-3 inches should be more than enough. Especially once we handle the pinch welds.

Ok so should I just do the OME? Or go for broke so to speak and do the frankenlift and jba upper control arms?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so should I just do the OME? Or go for broke so to speak and do the frankenlift and jba upper control arms?
I would just do the OME coils(get the HD coils!!!!)/shocks(N132L's for the rear),Terraflex bumpstops,and JBA's UCA's and call it good.You will have plenty of lift for 245/70's and may need to pound over the pinchweld(may not,depends on tires).You will have a great DD and weekend warrior.Then in the future you can always get that little extra lift and fit bigger tires if you want to.Start small,get used to it,wheel it,and you have the base to go another 1" or more if needed for little $$$ if you want.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
As long as you have someone reasonably competent to do your front coils for you... I agree. Only on a cost basis though. My Frankie rocks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only on a cost basis ?
mmmm interesting
Having ran both setups not sure I agree
I'd rather not have the coils precompressed that amount just for the extra height. Granted the ride is good , but no way is it better
plus an extra 300 in my pocket almost buys a set of JeepinByAl upper control arms for a complete package, since there is a 367.99 difference in price
Granted more lift but with top plate and clevis you have the same amount
Not knocking the Franky, just comparing facts is all

TheSurvivor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just do the OME coils(get the HD coils!!!!)/shocks(N132L's for the rear),Terraflex bumpstops,and JBA's UCA's and call it good.You will have plenty of lift for 245/70's and may need to pound over the pinchweld(may not,depends on tires).You will have a great DD and weekend warrior.Then in the future you can always get that little extra lift and fit bigger tires if you want to.Start small,get used to it,wheel it,and you have the base to go another 1" or more if needed for little $$$ if you want.

Ok then that is what I'll do

Thank you everyone for your help

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
927s in the front not 297s
If you don't want to get the UCAs at this time you don't have to with just using springs. Stock UCAs will work OK. Of course its an upgrade for sure

On JBAs site just buy the kit, 4 springs/4 shocks and just make sure to spec the 132Ls

TheSurvivor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
927s in the front not 297s
If you don't want to get the UCAs at this time you don't have to with just using springs. Stock UCAs will work OK. Of course its an upgrade for sure

On JBAs site just buy the kit, 4 springs/4 shocks and just make sure to spec the 132Ls

Oops I ment 927's haha

Ok will do, do I need the front and rear bumpstop?

TheSurvivor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok getting ready to make the purchase finally!! I just want to make sure I don't forget something in my order, ok so I order the OME lift kit and two Terraflex bumpstops from the jeepinbyal website. Anything else I'm missing?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I would imagine that tommudd would think so. :bowroflwerd6:

(When I can afford it, that's what I'm likely to get.) :)

Latest posts

Members online