Lift and Struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bcone

Reaction score
Couldn't really find the answers I wanted so I figured I'll just ask. I'm getting ready to put on a lift and planned on doing struts too. Should I get stock height struts and then put a RC 3inch on that, or get lifted struts(if i can find any) and just get springs and shocks for the back. What would be the best option for me on a high school budget? Not too worried about ride quality so much, just want front suspension that wont sag or cause stuff to wear quick. Also, is the RC kit a horrible decision overall? If so what's the next best budget friendly kit? Thanks

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think rough country gets good reviews. Spring is to soft and will sag early. Bare minimum for quality is ome, with ome or Bilstein shocks. These trucks don't actually have struts despite what people might say. There are less expensive kits, but none of them are worth the investment from what I've read.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Couldn't really find the answers I wanted so I figured I'll just ask. I'm getting ready to put on a lift and planned on doing struts too. Should I get stock height struts and then put a RC 3inch on that, or get lifted struts(if i can find any) and just get springs and shocks for the back. What would be the best option for me on a high school budget? Not too worried about ride quality so much, just want front suspension that wont sag or cause stuff to wear quick. Also, is the RC kit a horrible decision overall? If so what's the next best budget friendly kit? Thanks
Best to save your money and do a full spring lift
Here is why, 9 times out of ten your front springs are an inch to two inches sagged so you may only get an inch of lift
second it will ride like total crap with any spacer lift
third it will ( any spacer lift ) cause undue wear to various front end parts
So RC and any spacer lift is a terrible idea on an IFS suspension

Plus we have a coilover front suspension, uses front shocks, struts are only on vehicles without any upper control arms, of course its easier to say " struts"

I've done close to 60 KJ lifts and refuse to do any spacer lift no matter how much money I am offered, I want satisfied owners, not ones that complain after a trip down the road

Bcone

Reaction score
Best to save your money and do a full spring lift
Here is why, 9 times out of ten your front springs are an inch to two inches sagged so you may only get an inch of lift
second it will ride like total crap with any spacer lift
third it will ( any spacer lift ) cause undue wear to various front end parts
So RC and any spacer lift is a terrible idea on an IFS suspension

Plus we have a coilover front suspension, uses front shocks, struts are only on vehicles without any upper control arms, of course its easier to say " struts"

I've done close to 60 KJ lifts and refuse to do any spacer lift no matter how much money I am offered, I want satisfied owners, not ones that complain after a trip down the road

So something like the bds 2 inch lift then? Would I need new shocks for the front as well or could I get by with putting the new springs on the stock shocks?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So something like the bds 2 inch lift then? Would I need new shocks for the front as well or could I get by with putting the new springs on the stock shocks?

With BDS you are basically buying 4 springs , rear shocks are included but they are cheap hydraulics, not gas charged
4 OME springs are 340 , compared to what you pay for BDS.
Yes always install new shocks with new springs, otherwise you will compromise the springs.
Also if looking around Skyjackers are rated same as stock spring rate and will sag down.
OME is what 99% use

Bcone

Reaction score
With BDS you are basically buying 4 springs , rear shocks are included but they are cheap hydraulics, not gas charged
4 OME springs are 340 , compared to what you pay for BDS.
Yes always install new shocks with new springs, otherwise you will compromise the springs.
Also if looking around Skyjackers are rated same as stock spring rate and will sag down.
OME is what 99% use

Ok last question I think. Would I need longer front shocks for lifted front springs or does it not matter?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok last question I think. Would I need longer front shocks for lifted front springs or does it not matter?
No stock length front shocks, either Bilstein or OME only,
plus longer rear ones of course
check www.jeepinbyal.com has full OME kits, springs by themselves, shocks bythemselves etc

Bcone

Reaction score
No stock length front shocks, either Bilstein or OME only,
plus longer rear ones of course
check www.jeepinbyal.com has full OME kits, springs by themselves, shocks bythemselves etc

Alright this is it I promise. What else do I need to buy with the OME kit on jba, and bumpstops? Can I reuse stock mounts and stuff or no? Is there anything I need to level the OME kit or should it be level?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright this is it I promise. What else do I need to buy with the OME kit on jba, and bumpstops? Can I reuse stock mounts and stuff or no? Is there anything I need to level the OME kit or should it be level?
For a 2.5 inch lift use 927 front and 948 rear springs which will sit the kj level
Teraflex front bumpstops
either OME or Bilstein shocks
You can use 2 hockey pucks per side in the rear bolted down to the spring perch for bumpstops in the rear

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I bought new mounts from AM Auto parts... plus two additional spring seats (so that I had two per side, the mounts come with one), that way I could have the new shocks/springs and mounts all preassembled come install day. Pull out old, put in new. Simple R&R. That way if something goes awry, you aren't left with a disabled vehicle while fiddling around with coilovers that are in pieces.