Liberty won't idle, dies.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copenhagen6

Reaction score
This morning, I drove the liberty to the daycare, about 30 miles. It ran fine. Shut it off, went inside, came back out. When I started the engine, after a few cranks, it would die or would not idle. It did this about 4 times. I got it started again and held the gas pedal down just a bit to keep it running and slapped it in gear and drove on to work (about 3 miles). When I got to work, it idled on its own. ????????

Bad gas? sensor? something hot? POS? all of the above?

Any thoughts or similar experience?

Thanks

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get a code? It would have shown up where you odometer displays. Could have been a clogged injector, or even a slug of water in the filter or line.

copenhagen6

Reaction score
It did not display a code. Although, it was very low on fuel this morning and I stopped and filled it up. Maybe some water in the fuel.

It seems to be a bit harder to start when it is at operational temperature, but I have never had it die.

Thanks for the reply.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Since you said it was very low on fuel, chances are some of the crap that builds up in the bottom of the tank made its way through the fuel lines. Run a can of BG 44K fuel injector cleaner through. The stuff is pricey at $20/can but damn it works! It can usually be found at select dealerships in your area. I found a Mazda dealer down the road from me carries it. Go here to find the shop closest to you.

If you're having trouble finding it, my next answer would be to run a bottle of Chevron Techron through your tank. While it doesn't work as good as the 44K, it can be found at just about any place with an auto dept, make sure to get the bigger bottle that treats up to 20 gallons if you go that route.

copenhagen6

Reaction score
I took it to lunch and did not have a problem. I'll bet that it was something in the bottom of the fuel tank. I will still get some of the treatment and run it through, it can't hurt.

Don't you just hate it when your wife is with you when the vehicle fails. You can see the look in their eyes....."Its time to scrap this rig". My wife was with me this a.m. and I'm sure that she no longer trusts the liberty.

Thanks

the1jferg

Banned
Reaction score
no dude

no dude,

nothing wrong with the tank. it might not do it again for along time.

Its the TSB issue. Look at the TSB sections in the forums. Take it to the dealer so they can do the flash. Especially happens with 02's. Mine included.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dies

Possibly could be carbon buildup on the throttle body intake throat, or the idle control motor acting up. The injector cleaner may help.

Members online

No members online now.