Liberty sales down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys found this on another forum, entitled "Liberty sales down by 41%." According the posts of that particular thread, the gas mileage and engine is the cause or part of the cause. If this is the case I just do not see the validity in it. The KK and KJ engines have not changed. Or am I incorrect with my statement?
True Jeep could've made a better engine that would be more powerful and more fuel efficient but I guess it would really bump up the current prices.
Then again, for those who purchase these type of vehicles should be aware that these vehicles are made to be used a certain way that would require greater consumption of gas. Bigger vechicle, more gas. So I feel that the gas mileage should not be in question, rather the validity of the above statement. Not to say the statement is false, I'm wondering where this person got this information.
Hm what do you guys think?:confused:
Oh almost forgot to mention; they also feel that the new styling is also a contributing factor to the falling sales.

Here's the link
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858822

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first thought is that it is the gas mileage with the gas prices going up and not the 3.7Liter motor per- se. The Nitro and Commander are a similar body style. Not the same but similar enough to be in competition with each other. Too much similar product.

This is just a guess on my part and I did not realize until this thread that the KK sales were down that much over the KJ. The KJ run was only 6 MY and I think it was a great seller with well over 900,000 units sold (forget #). The dealers are giving fantastic deals on 07 KJ leftovers now so I think you will have to wait until the end of the year and see where they are with sales.

Dave

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the statement that sales are down for the Liberty is true, I'd assume it is because of the new styling. I assume when a new styling is introduced the next few months after it's debut to the public and ready for purchase the sales numbers won't be high because it might take consumers time to get used to the new look. Also it could be the similarities with the Nitro. A little too close for comfort for some consumers.
Anyway, I for one love my new KK. It is a much improved Liberty overall. I like the looks, handling, storage it is the perfect Jeep for me and my wife.
Can it be improved, sure but all vehicles can be improved. If anything, I'd like to see more horsepower and more torque. :)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Nitro sales are eating into Liberty sales. That's the main problem #1.

A good amount of dealerships sell all 3 brands, Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep. So when people go into showrooms they say "Wow, these two vehicles are very similar. I like this Nitro for whatever reason, I'll buy this one."

Problem #2: Chrysler is trying to decrease their sales to fleets GM and Ford are doing the same. Like it or not, 30% or so of Libertys are sold to fleets, such as rental car agencies. Less of these sales = Less Libertys built and sold. This also explains why Nissan/Toyota are up, because these fleet companies/organizations gotta have their cars, so guess where they are going to buy them?

Somewhere down on the list is gas prices. It's not as big a factor as the media would have you think. The new body style should actually increase sales, since... well.. it's new and should appeal to a broader audience.

Take the Commander and Grand Cherokee for example... same case. People say "Wow, they're the same price but this one has 3 row seating..... or Wow, I like the styling of this one better, I'll buy this one instead."

... if you want to go even further... Compass and Patriot. Compass used to sell more than it does now.... then the Patriot came.

Durango and Aspen too. (This wouldn't be so bad if the Aspen was more Escalade-ish, price and all) Don't forget Magnum and Charger. There's too much product overlap in Chrysler's current lineup. Darn near everything competes with something else. I'm pretty sure Chrysler sans Mercedes-Benz management should sort this out quickly. No low-volume luxury car maker should have had any business trying to run a high volume, everyday vehicle company. Period.

Last edited:

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would they want to reduce fleet sales? That just doesnt make a lick of sense.....a sale is a sale right?

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2. Fleet sales are done by contract, and they are required to sell the cars at contract price, well below retail. Car companies like it because they are guaranteed sales this way, but if consumer sales are up (or if the car companies need all the profit they can get) then they will try to sell them to individuals first.

This is also why you can get last year's model from Enterprise or Budget at a cheaper price than you'd pay at a dealer (and they still make money hand over fist on car sales.)

MarkB

Reaction score
Not sure the truth, so here is my opinion. I have tried to check inventory with several dealers in this area. There are still several dealers that do not have any KKs. Not sure if they can't get them or if they are not ordering them. The dealer here in town does sell all 3 and there are a ton of Nitros out there. I personally feel that the KK just hasn't had enough exposure yet. I agree with you rukusjeep. The KK is the best choice for me and my wife. We love the new styling and the extra room and storage. I think its just a matter of time and the sales will be back on top. We have some friends that traded an 04 KJ in on an 07 Nitro. After seeing our KK they are wishing they had waited.

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Not sure the truth, so here is my opinion. I have tried to check inventory with several dealers in this area. There are still several dealers that do not have any KKs. Not sure if they can't get them or if they are not ordering them. The dealer here in town does sell all 3 and there are a ton of Nitros out there. I personally feel that the KK just hasn't had enough exposier yet. I agree with you rukusjeep. The KK is the best choice for me and my wife. We love the new styling and the extra room and storage. I think its just a matter of time and the sales will be back on top. We have some friends that traded an 04 KJ in on an 07 Nitro. After seeing our KK they are wishing they had waited.

I love the new gauge cluster and seats, and styling, and the substantial feeling it has on the road.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
For a more equal comparison... Liberty sales are down about 400 units compared to last month, which ain't bad considering that the KJs are running out. The deals on those are unbelievable right now.

Even though the 2008s are rolling out, Liberty sales of all model years are combined. There might even have been a 2006 sold in October and it would STILL be counted.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the new gauge cluster and seats, and styling, and the substantial feeling it has on the road.

The suspension is a little different and the wheelbase and wheel track is just a tad different.

KJ = 104.2 wheelbase and track is 60 front and 59.7 rear
KK = 106.1 wheelbase and track is 61 front and rear.

Doesn't sound like much difference, but i am not an engineer.

The KJ has a little different solid axle rear suspension and the KK has a 5 link solid rear axle etc per the specs. (just got the brochure with specs today)

So I guess it all ads up to a little better road feel.

Dave

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The suspension is a little different and the wheelbase and wheel track is just a tad different.

KJ = 104.2 wheelbase and track is 60 front and 59.7 rear
KK = 106.1 wheelbase and track is 61 front and rear.

Doesn't sound like much difference, but i am not an engineer.

The KJ has a little different solid axle rear suspension and the KK has a 5 link solid rear axle etc per the specs. (just got the brochure with specs today)

So I guess it all ads up to a little better road feel.

Dave

It doesn't sound like a big difference, but it's a HUGE difference. (To an engineer)

What I meant by substantial... it just feels a LOT bigger even though dimensionally isn't.

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon, you're right about not having too much exposure. Funny that you mentioned it because during the sale of our KK, the sale person said that Jeep hasn't been pushing hard to advertise the new KK. Wonder why?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Marlon, you're right about not having too much exposure. Funny that you mentioned it because during the sale of our KK, the sale person said that Jeep hasn't been pushing hard to advertise the new KK. Wonder why?

Give Chrysler some time, they'll eventually start advertising their vehicles aggressively again.

I'm pretty sure Mercedes-Benz wanted Chrysler to fail. The historical lack of advertising is kinda a hint to this.

Oh and BTW: The only reason Nitro sales are up is because this time last year, the Nitro had just begun appearing on dealer lots. Of course sales are going to be up.

The number of vehicles on lots is not typically an indicator of how they're selling. How LONG it has sat there IS more accurate. Also, a while back, Chrysler (under MB) thought it would be smart to push vehicles on dealers, and keeping factories running... even giving workers overtime... and said vehicle wasn't selling well. They're still doing it, but it's a little better now. I have yet to understand why a dealer would have 200+ of a certain vehicle... do a google search for "Chrysler Inventory Numbers"

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a more equal comparison... Liberty sales are down about 400 units compared to last month, which ain't bad considering that the KJs are running out. The deals on those are unbelievable right now.

Don't even tell me...I know if I had waited I could have saved more cash on my '07, but I was particular about what I wanted and this one was exactly it - so, I jumped.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2. Fleet sales are done by contract, and they are required to sell the cars at contract price, well below retail. Car companies like it because they are guaranteed sales this way, but if consumer sales are up (or if the car companies need all the profit they can get) then they will try to sell them to individuals first.

This is also why you can get last year's model from Enterprise or Budget at a cheaper price than you'd pay at a dealer (and they still make money hand over fist on car sales.)

I can see dropping fleet sales if you have so much regular demand that you cant keep up with both. Is that the case though?

If it isnt I couldnt see giving those sales up to another company...especially a foreign company. And just like you said, they are giving up guaranteed sales! Crazy even if it isnt as profitable. So is that the case?...cant keep up with demands of fleet and consumers?

Nvr*lost

Reaction score
For me, I will buy when the incentives get BIG. I like the new styling and size and even though I have never owned a Jeep, I will try the Liberty Limited if I like how it handles. I do not like the gas milage though. I currently drive a F150 with the small V8 and get 23 mpg on an engine with 113,000 miles. It's hard to settle for anything less. I have driven the Nitro, both engines, and would like to see the 4.0 in the Liberty. It was really peppy, but I am not sure that the Nitro has the same gearing in it as the Liberty. I really dislike the door hanldes on the Liberty. They look very cheap. What do you all think of them?

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a KJ (picking it up in a few days) due to the crazy deal I was able to get on a brand new '07. I went to a lot of dealers trying to find one and mostly all of them were a single showroom Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler. Right now, the Nitro has more incentives than the Liberty so I would assume they are the main reason Liberty sales are down. The Nitro is also a lot more "refined" so if someone walks in and is attracted to bells and whistles, the Nitro is going to be their choice. Some dealers had them side-by-side in the showroom so you can instantly tell they are essentially the same.

So flashier aesthetics plus a "lower" price are going to attract more attention.

Members online

No members online now.