Liberty pop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 2006 Jeep Liberty for my daughter.

We found a sport trim 4x4 with 150,000, gold brown color. She is really excited. It seems like a great first vehicle for her.

The previous owner stopped driving it because of problems, and slowly replaced the cats, o2 sensors, radiator, and thermostat. He said it ran strong for the 110K they had it and that this is all they basically did. Codes clear with the above work, and while it was broken they stepped up to a Grand Cherokee. So we bought it.

Mechanical:
Here is my strategy. Please let me know what else?

1- It makes a loud road nose from the front that gets worse with speed. The noise goes away when the road curves left. I am thinking wheel bearing. I jacked the jeep up and spun both front wheels and there was very little difference. Slightly more noise on the right, but sounded more like brake shoe rotor friction. I couldn’t get either wheel to wobble. Thus, I feel unsure of which side the problem is. Should I start with replacing the right hub? Or maybe I should do both?

2- Today there was a small silver dollar sized puddle under the middle of the engine. It looks like it is dripping down from the water pump. At 150K seems like I will just go ahead and replace the water pump? I read here, no rtv

3- Rear glass shocks weak on a cold day. Takes a couple of times of raising the glass before they hold it. Is this typical or show I just replace them?

4- I suspect original plugs. Definitely will replace.

5- I see no signs of oil in the sponge in the air box. Should I worry about replacing the pvc valve or not worry about it.

I will start changing out ****** and differential fluids with oil changes. I use my mitivac to suck out ****** fluid. I hope I can do that with this jeep too.
After the fluid looks nice and new, I will likely drop the pan and do a filter. Likely this summer.

Anything else you would add to the maintenance list?

Cleaning:
What are you all using on your vinyl? I had some 303 from my boat but it did not make the vinyl look even. Anything these jeeps particularly like? I have no armor all, just the 303.

Stereo:
Looking at a higher powered sony. I think if I get it I will have to wire directly to the battery since the amp on the radio fuse is low. Is there a good way through the firewall?

Seat:
Driver’s seat recline lever is locked. I plan to pull the front seats to shampoo the carpet and see if I can find out what is locking this level.

I have already read a ton here. You all have a great forum. I look forward to continued learning from you all.

Thanks,

Richard

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome.

1. not sure about this. how are the tires?

2. sounds like the WP is weeping. Most forum member use one from NAPA. Myself included. No rtv, comes with gasket. Just get it wet with some DI water before installing it.

3. replace them.

4. follow the sticker on the radiator crossmember for the recommended plugs and gap

5. cheap enough to replace the PCV.

should be able to suck the ****** fluid via dipstick. I do it on mine when I do my own fluid exchange.

Other things...
a. Clean TB
b. clean IAC if you have one. Don't remember if 06 is drive by wire. If so no IAC
c. check rear CV boot of front driveshaft. replace if torn. most of us buy a replace from
Search - ME807
d. air filter
e. clean cabin air "filter" under front bonnet/hood cowl (on passenger side)
f. transfer case fluid. make sure that fill plug can be removed first.
g. check if oil is leaking through valve covers
h. P/S fluid exchange
i. check that all recalls are up to date.
j. new belt
k. replace auto belt pulley tensioner as PM. I think most of us use the one made by gates.
l. check all the other belt pulleys
m. got a sunroof? make sure the drains are not plugged up.
n. not sure if the 06 has issues but some KJs had issues spill back when filling gas.

*******, P/S, and TF case all use atf+4. get what is cheapest. All licensed atf+4 are the same.
*use dino gear oil instead of synthetic.

Last edited:

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coolant is HOAT. I will try to capture most of it when I do the water pump. I will do that first, so no animals drink the small puddle under the jeep.

The tires look great. I guess they could be unbalanced, though. The car sat for about 6-7 months while they replaced the cats slowly.

I will get under it again and check out that front axle.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You were correct on this:

c. check rear CV boot of front driveshaft. replace if torn. most of us buy a replace from
Search - ME807

I got my finger up into the boot and there is a tear. Are that any symptoms this causes? I am pretty certain I have a bearing going bad, but wonder if this is contributing to any of the noise I am hearing.

It seems tight to get that axle out. That is the one they are calling the propeller shaft?

Got lucky on the drivers seat not reclining. There was a penny stuck in the mechanism keeping it from reclining. Just removed the plastic trim pieces and the problem was easy to see.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

Search - ME807

I got my finger up into the boot and there is a tear. Are that any symptoms this causes? I am pretty certain I have a bearing going bad, but wonder if this is contributing to any of the noise I am hearing.

It seems tight to get that axle out. That is the one they are calling the propeller shaft?

Got lucky on the drivers seat not reclining. There was a penny stuck in the mechanism keeping it from reclining. Just removed the plastic trim pieces and the problem was easy to see.

Welcome to the forum and I see you are getting plenty of help and you found money too...........Great forum, huh.....:happy175:

Dave

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score

the front driveshaft is always rotating when the jeep is in motion. The sound shouldn't change when turning. You'll hear a jingling type sound but it is not loud so you'll most likely only hear it if you're driving by wall.

It's tricky to get out but basically, unbolts it all out, push the shaft forward, the front CV would compress and you should be able to thread it out.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding AC compressor to my list. It is leaking where the two main sections come together. I will probably get one of the compressor, dryer, tube kits from Rock Auto.

My rock auto cart is getting pretty full.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 3+ years and 32K miles, the daughter is "upgrading" from her Liberty. She loves her Liberty but is moving across the country and is too nervous about being way from my hack mechanical ability in an 182K 14-year old Jeep. She has been working hard during this covid period and had a nice chunk of money to help out, so she will now be in a 4x4 Patriot that has under 30K miles on it. Yes, the LIberty made a Jeep girl out of her, and until she can afford a Wrangler, she liked the Patriot as a Liberty replacement.

Most would think I am a little crazy. Versus trading in the Jeep, we traded in a Highlander.

The good news for me, is I will keep the Liberty around as my daily driver saving the miles on my Truck. Several of her friends want to buy it from her, but I just don't think the money I would get for it would reflect the true value of this little tank.

Attachments

• IMG_6544.jpg
    IMG_6544.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Members online