Liberty oil light comes on at low rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2002 Liberty Sport

Reaction score
I have a Liberty that has run fine for the last 5 years but now I have an oil light that comes on at low rpms. I have had the oil changed and the oil pressure sending unit changed and it came on a day after the sending unit replacement. Today it even came on when driving down the road for the first time. My question is have any of you had this problem before? Is an additive like Seafoam, Marks Mystery oil a good idea?

The truck is a 2002, 3.7 with 101,000 miles on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Most likely, the Oil Pressure Sender has gone bad. This has been reported many times. To be safe, have the oil pressure checked. If it meets factory requirements, you're okay.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
He said he changed that already... that's what I was going to recommend also.

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the light came on the day after getting it replaced, check and make sure the harness didn't pop off, also check the oil level, and make sure the drain plug isn't missing lol

If all that's good, it's probably a bad sender, take it back and get it changed for a new one.

2002 Liberty Sport

Reaction score
Today I checked the oil and oil filler hose. The piece that goes inside the oil filler cap is covered in nasty oil residue so I got a can of Seafoam and put 1/3 of a can in the oil like their website recommended and the oil light didn't come on all day. I am going to drive about 500 miles with the Seafoam in the engine, then do an engine flush with one of those quart size motor flush products, then change the oil with synthetic oil and a good filter. We have always used regular oil in it so I believe this process will get the engine, pickup screens, and oil pathways as clean as possible.

sharpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 06 just had the same symptoms.....changed the sending unit and all is fine....i know this is an old thread lol just trowing out my eperience for future reference.

RedKJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 06 just had the same symptoms.....changed the sending unit and all is fine....i know this is an old thread lol just trowing out my eperience for future reference.

Yep, 9 times out of 10 it is the sending unit. Same thing happened to mine. Certainly got my attention on my way to work the morning it popped onWow1.gif

KJemma

Reaction score
HI, I know this is old thread but if there is any more info on this, Id appreciate it. My 2002 V6 is doing the Oil Light at idle. Mechanic checked and said its at 60psi at idle . He changed the pressure sending unit and told me that now the light won't go off. No he is going to change it again with a sending sensor from the dealer, thinking maybe the first one was cheap or defective i guess.
This had happened in the past and apparently I was a quart low. So mechanic topped it off. At that time he did not change sensor, which I thought he did. Anyway, I remember that when I got it back, the oil light was off, but then started to come on intermittently like I described above. So it did not fix the problem,.

Any new information is helpful, or any more ideas of what else to check.
Do you need to reset the light or anything like that after a repair?
Thanks
KJemma

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
HI, I know this is old thread but if there is any more info on this, Id appreciate it. My 2002 V6 is doing the Oil Light at idle. Mechanic checked and said its at 60psi at idle . He changed the pressure sending unit and told me that now the light won't go off. No he is going to change it again with a sending sensor from the dealer, thinking maybe the first one was cheap or defective i guess.
This had happened in the past and apparently I was a quart low. So mechanic topped it off. At that time he did not change sensor, which I thought he did. Anyway, I remember that when I got it back, the oil light was off, but then started to come on intermittently like I described above. So it did not fix the problem,.

Thanks
KJemma
Only use a sensor from Mopar

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks
KJemma

The Oil pressure light doesn't get reset... it's just tripped when the sending unit says to. I've been 2 qts low on oil in my 03 and the Oil light never came on... so I'm unclear as to how or why yours did when 1qt low.

Checking the oil pressure with an actual gauge is good, as your guy has done. 60psi at idle is good, if not a bit higher than one would expect. So if the sending unit itself tests fine (your mech should put a meter on the output wires and see what it's doing), then perhaps a wiring connector or harness issue.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it resets itself everytime the vehicle is started , if it's flickering while not low on oil, and while having adequate oil pressure, it could be the plug/wiring to the sensor - with the sensor being close to the oil filter, the plug and wiring to the sensor is rather constantly abused - which then given that now the light wont go off with a new sensor - for the most part just compounds my suspicion that theres a break in the wire at the plug to the sensor or a defect in the plug

if its 60psi at idle you dont have an oil pressure issue, the minimum at idle is 4psi - and 25-80psi expected at 3000 RPM so the problem is more than likely between being the sensor, and the plug/wiring to the sensor

and i should reset my browser or something it didnt show any posts after that question until after i posted. heh

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks
KJemma

Yeah, on an electrical/sensor part I would always go with an OEM part rather than an aftermarket part. Let us know how that OEM sensor works out.

Dave