Liberty Limited Chrome Over Clad Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else had this issue.. I have a 2005 liberty limited every option avail.. including the chrome over clad rims.. at 2,000 miles dealership replaced one, since the aluminum clear coat was flaking off..(not the chrome section, the aluminum section that shows only where the wheel weight is) now 1 year later at 9,000 miles.. I have two more rims doing the same thing.. Why did Jeep use the chrome over aluminum plastic/clad ... This jeep is parked in a garage .. washed weekly even in harsh weather..

Anyone else hate the expensive rims??

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are doing that. I only have a year left for warranty but i dont know if im going to worry about it. its 2years old. And id say they wouldnt even replace them. They would say its normal. 8-[

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeepster dude..

I had a 2002 TJ Sahara and I got 5 rims replaced.. This current libby limited got ONE of the chrome rims replaced.. and I called dealer.. there replacing ALL of them again.. I told them I'd be in March, after the salty roads go away.. Not being a pain.. but if they can't make a rim that doesn't go bad after a few miles.. jeep has 9,000 miles.. and it's under warrenty.. THEY WILL REPLACE them... I will bring this libby in EVERY year and get new rims.. unless someone makes a decent wheel.. =) the chrome over clad is junk.. The chrome part is fine, it's the aluminum it's glued to thats pitted.. they charge 1,000.. and take plastic chrome and glued it to an old aluminum rim, from what a cordoba?

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd suspect some type of oxidation / chemical reaction between the wheel weights and the chrome clad covers......I'm assuming it has coated wheel weights ?

Now may be the perfect time to get some 16" alloys "under warranty" so you can choose from lots of different sizes as opposed to the few sizes in the 17" variety....you could sell your 17" tires and apply the proceeds towards some 16's IF D/C would allow you to do so.

D/C should cover everything until 3/36.....my wife bought a used 1998 Chrysler Sebring LXi Coupe in March of 1999 w/8k miles on it.....all of the wheels (17's) were "clouding up" on the outside edge of the wheels (even in places where wheel weights were not attached) and we got a set of four free......did I mention that after a week, I also got the old wheels back from the dealer (D/C Rep had already signed off on them) and I sold them on eBay for $340 bucks or so ?

Greg

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool Deal!

Yeah, these are clouding up, the weights are factory 'coated' I asked them last time to NOT put any on the outside, but use stick on.. but after they told me they would shake.. I said add the weights..

I like the 17's just wish they had all chrome.. my dad has a 97 Lincoln and he has all chrome.. they look perfect! I noticed the company that makes these rims for JEEP and Chrysler.. makes the same chrome clad for the new Lincolns.. good grief!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like their cutting costs...

Well get them replaced, considering what they charged you for them in the first place. #-o

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally..

Like the clean lines of the stock limited rims.. AND get this the size on the stock wheels is .5 bigger than the exclusive chrome.. these were on the car or I'd have loved the standard ones.. =) altho with that much chrome already on the 05 limited.. the wheels do look 'right'

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old news

This has been common for KJ 17" chromes... go complain to dealership and raise this issue.... it even is more pronounced on the Chrysler 300 wheels...

Good luck..

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Liberator..

Do you have the web site that shows the complaints for 300 chrome rims? or?? I'd like to have more batting info when I see the dealership..

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
none

No website. Inside info for your entification.

Bring your vehicle into the dealership and get them replaced under your warranty. It is your right as the dealerships would have common knowledge of this. Ask to speak with the DC rep if the service manager states it is a user fault.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?14@@.ef01b1b/746!keywords=allin%3Amsgtext%20limit%3A.ef01b1b%20corrosion

I have 9 wheels like this..

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They replaced 2

The other 2 next visit.. seems they can squeeze 2 in at a time before anyone notices.. YEAH!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.