liberty lift help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DreamingInBlood

Reaction score
I'm wanting to lift my 03 liberty 2.5 inches or what ever is needed to allow 265/70/R16's or 31x10.50's. I've measured the distance from the front hub to the bottom of the fender flare and it's roughly 18 inches on the front left. Any help is much appreciated

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to lift my 03 liberty 2.5 inches or what ever is needed to allow 265/70/R16's or 31x10.50's. I've measured the distance from the front hub to the bottom of the fender flare and it's roughly 18 inches on the front left. Any help is much appreciated

Springs are sagged an inch
so all new springs and shocks
OME 927 front, 948 rear
shocks either Bilstein or OME
Front tearflex bumpstops
rear you can use two hockey pucks bolted down to the lower spring perch
With that size tire you will lose power and mileage
I'm running 265-70-16s on one of my KJs with 2.5 inches of lift and 4.10 gearing
If you're using stock wheels I would look at 245-75-16s , same height

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Tommudd said. Also What he said for tire size is the best option. I am running 265/70/16's on stock wheels with the stock 3.73 gearing. If I could afford it, I would regear to 4.10 but I can't.

As for the 265's on stock wheels, I got them to work, this does NOT mean you will be able to. I had to beat the ever living **** out of the pinch (not just pound over), and also had to built some weld on the bump stops. The rear inside would rub the frame rails and the front inside would rub the sway bar. After this I still get rubbing at times. I've just adjusted my driving/steering to not rub.

Also prior to me buying this Jeep it was in 4 accidents, 3 on the left front, 1 on right front. This could play a cause in my situation, but I don't know.

After the suspension setup Tommudd stated, the 245's would give very little, if any problems. He's been working with these since the start.

DreamingInBlood

Reaction score
OME 927 front, 948 rear
Front tearflex bumpstops
I'm running 265-70-16s on one of my KJs with 2.5 inches of lift and 4.10 gearing

I've been looking on jba and the only front bilstein struts that are the stock ride height and for the rear I seen the BILSTEIN - Heavy Duty 2.5" Lift Rear Shock. are those what I need or is there any specific ones? I also seen the springs say they're 1.5 inch lift?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been looking on jba and the only front bilstein struts that are the stock ride height and for the rear I seen the BILSTEIN - Heavy Duty 2.5" Lift Rear Shock. are those what I need or is there any specific ones? I also seen the springs say they're 1.5 inch lift?

Long time confusion for some
ARB/OME are made in Australia, due to insurance regulations they are only allowed so much height wise, so advertised as 1.5 inches. Most all know that and never pay any attention to the advertised height. We all know the 927/948 combo does a solid 2.5 inches over new stock height.
The front SHOCKS ( not struts ) are the stock ones, due to the way the IFS is no longer ones are needed . For the rear either the ones shown as 2.5 for the rear or the OME132Ls
Many of us have been lifting these KJs for several years so we won't steer in the wrong direction. I did my first OME lited KJ over 14 years ago with many more over the years

DreamingInBlood

Reaction score
OME 927 front, 948 rear
Front tearflex bumpstops

I also don't plan on using the stock 16" wheels with new tires after I lift. I plan on getting a 16x8 pro comp steel wheel with 4" of backspace or something very similar

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I also don't plan on using the stock 16" wheels with new tires after I lift. I plan on getting a 16x8 pro comp steel wheel with 4" of backspace or something very similar

Bad choice on wheel width and backspacing
If you think you just have to have 8 inch wide wheels then use 5 inches of backspacing like the 03-06 Rubicon Moabs
Best choice is 16X7 with 4 inches of backspacing works great, don't have to run as much bumpstop in the rear and 245-75-16s fit well , lose some power and mileage but doable ( although a lot of us run 4.10 gearing with that height
If set on 8 inch 265-70-16s do well as long as you do 5 inches of backspacing

DreamingInBlood

Reaction score
Bad choice on wheel width and backspacing
If you think you just have to have 8 inch wide wheels then use 5 inches of backspacing like the 03-06 Rubicon Moabs
Best choice is 16X7 with 4 inches of backspacing works great, don't have to run as much bumpstop in the rear and 245-75-16s fit well , lose some power and mileage but doable ( although a lot of us run 4.10 gearing with that height
If set on 8 inch 265-70-16s do well as long as you do 5 inches of backspacing

Only thing I'm really looking for with the wheels is that they stick out farther than the stock ones without needing to get wheel spacers

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only thing I'm really looking for with the wheels is that they stick out farther than the stock ones without needing to get wheel spacers

And that is why I posted what I did
This comes from 14 years experience lifting and building these KJs and what works best from a lot of peoples builds plus what I have done here

7 inch with 4 inches backspacing
or
8 inches with 5 inches backspacing
does in fact put the wheel / tire to edge of flare
looks good but doesn't look like a ricer or Bro Truck
plus not as much bumpstop is needed which is good

DreamingInBlood

Reaction score
And that is why I posted what I did
This comes from 14 years experience lifting and building these KJs and what works best from a lot of peoples builds plus what I have done here

7 inch with 4 inches backspacing
or
8 inches with 5 inches backspacing
does in fact put the wheel / tire to edge of flare
looks good but doesn't look like a ricer or Bro Truck
plus not as much bumpstop is needed which is good

Yeah, I don't really like the look of the entire wheel sticking out past the fender

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't really like the look of the entire wheel sticking out past the fender

Personally I like 265-70-16s on 16X8 with 5 inches of backspacing
Puts tire / wheel to the edge of the flare and looks good
I run a 2.5 inch lift on the 03 , pounded over the pinch weld
running Falken Wildpeaks AT3Ws , tread width is 8.5 inches wide

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

16x8, 5" backspacing.. this is what you want, as Tom said. These Jeeps have been around long enough, and many of us longer, to have the "established, known working parts" figured out.

There really are no mystery "can you install X-part on a KJ" scenarios left.. what works is known by now.

16x8 with 5" bs gives a good, wide stance that looks like it could be a factory designed configuration, but it isn't ridiculous and obviously a "modded" truck that looks goofy as all hell, or gives issues with driveline components either.

Apex

Reaction score
16x8, 5" backspacing.. this is what you want, as Tom said. These Jeeps have been around long enough, and many of us longer, to have the "established, known working parts" figured out.

There really are no mystery "can you install X-part on a KJ" scenarios left.. what works is known by now.

16x8 with 5" bs gives a good, wide stance that looks like it could be a factory designed configuration, but it isn't ridiculous and obviously a "modded" truck that looks goofy as all hell, or gives issues with driveline components either.

I run 265/75s on 16x8s with 4.5” of backspacing. I used to rub at full turn but an angle grinder, engineer’s hammer and some well placed tack welds work wonders.

I’m not trying to take the wind out of your sails or start anything. Look what JBA just did with the long arm build. BDS before them with their frankensteined rig. Heck, I’m sure the SFA pioneers had to deal with plenty of naysaying too. Look at them now. Free thinkers are the reason we have the mods for the KJ to begin with. No one got anywhere doing anything custom while staying in the box.

But if one doesn’t know what they’re doing, please stay in the box.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I run 265/75s on 16x8s with 4.5” of backspacing. I used to rub at full turn but an angle grinder, engineer’s hammer and some well placed tack welds work wonders.

I’m not trying to take the wind out of your sails or start anything. Look what JBA just did with the long arm build. BDS before them with their frankensteined rig. Heck, I’m sure the SFA pioneers had to deal with plenty of naysaying too. Look at them now. Free thinkers are the reason we have the mods for the KJ to begin with. No one got anywhere doing anything custom while staying in the box.

LOL funny as all get out , you are hilarious
Freethinkers ...........wow, I could educate you just a bit but I won't waste my time
Most come on these sites asking for help, many of us have been building these KJs since the start (14-15 years and more)
We know what works, what doesn't in the long run.
Personally have done over 55 KJ lifts, have built a lifted Dodge van on 40s, Ford F150 on 38s and had lifted Jeeps in my driveway since the very early 1970s .
But someone comes on accusing us of not being freethinkers.
Well goodluck son, got a lot to learn

you mention talking to Marlin at JBA, I have worked closely with him, worked over in his shop helping design, tested parts before he put them out to market , as far as BDS was there in the shop and helped the last day they were working on it, got to see it fire up the first time and run around the parking lot , oh well

Last edited:

Apex

Reaction score
All I’m saying is no one should be slamming anyone for wanting to try something different. Now you’re trying to slam me and it’s so cute.

I must have struck a nerve because there’s much more rambling than usual, lol. Quite inflammatory of you too, Tom.

Show me where I accused anyone of not being a free thinker. Also, elaborate on this need to call me “son”.

Yea, you’ve helped a lot of people on here over the years, myself included. But you’ve also pissed a lot off with your condescension and omniscient attitude.

After all, it’s not Jeepin by Tom’s. If you know so much then start your own company and quit being JBA’s little beta tester. I never claimed to know it all, but I forgot that you do. Silly me.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
All I’m saying is no one should be slamming anyone for wanting to try something different. Now you’re trying to slam me and it’s so cute.

I must have struck a nerve because there’s much more rambling than usual, lol. Quite inflammatory of you too, Tom.

Show me where I accused anyone of not being a free thinker. Also, elaborate on this need to call me “son”.

Yea, you’ve helped a lot of people on here over the years, myself included. But you’ve also pissed a lot off with your condescension and omniscient attitude.

After all, it’s not Jeepin by Tom’s. If you know so much then start your own company and quit being JBA’s little beta tester. I never claimed to know it all, but I forgot that you do. Silly me.

No you just come on saying that all of us are stuck in this little box and do not think outside the box .
Yes it does hit a nerve for sure since we all have went way beyond what Jeep ever thought the KJs could ever do or be built into. Maybe you didn't mean it that way but sure sounded that way . Plus we were not slamming anyone , just some things work way better than others. See and hear about enough stupid crap on fakebook.

Sorry, maybe my time of the month or something:Insane::icon_razz::gr_grin:

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Your comment and mine are not mutually exclusive.. when looking for "what works" for this vehicle, enough time and testing has been done that for the typical, average KJ-owner, that is beyond enough data and far enough product availability to see what they want accomplished.

Anyone who can design, custom fabricate, and install anything else is free to do so; but I think that is outside the scope of what most can do and what was being asked here.

Sure, if you redesign the wheel hubs, hack up the fenders, weld this, chop that, yeah.. you can make anything you want fit. But that is not what was being asked or presented.. OP was speaking of and looking for off-the-shelf bolt on wheel options as far as dimensions go.

That's where the "we know what works and what doesn't by now" comment fits in.

Kinda like the people who ask about what front bumpers they can put on the KJ... well, there's the factory options and ARB.. sure, you can put a JK bumper on, with welding and custom brackets and hacking things up, you can also manage to fit a Humvee or FJ Cruiser bumper if you wanted to and modded enough parts.

There is a significant difference between just wanting to know what fits and works well, and experimenting with something new.

Apex

Reaction score
Tom, all good on my end and I apologize for coming across as presuming Jason and yourself are close minded. That’s not what I meant.

And Jason, I definitely understand what you meant. It just irked me a tad when you said there are no mystery scenarios left, came across as absolute and you probably didn’t mean it like I took it. My bad.

I just really like to see people work up the courage to do something crazy and custom, so I encourage it when I can. Speaking of which, I got a lot of pics to upload lol.

Sorry to the OP for the post hijack too.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom, all good on my end and I apologize for coming across as presuming Jason and yourself are close minded. That’s not what I meant.

And Jason, I definitely understand what you meant. It just irked me a tad when you said there are no mystery scenarios left, came across as absolute and you probably didn’t mean it like I took it. My bad.

I just really like to see people work up the courage to do something crazy and custom, so I encourage it when I can. Speaking of which, I got a lot of pics to upload lol.

All good. Nothing is ever absolute, just generally quasi-determined. lol.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

And...we have all seen way too many who knew more , could do more , could make the baddest KJ in the world. Personally know of 4 sitting in garages in Ohio that has been sitting there for years either due to getting in way over their heads or hacking one up to where it will never be safe again to drive. 2 of them are Renegades in mint condition.
So there is a reason for saying what I did. Sorry but I'm so old I just let it all out !:happy175::happy175:
Just hate to see good KJs destroyed, but good luck
just don't hack up the wheelwells, there is one guy who lost his foot after doing that, was in a wreck and frame smashed in due to stupidly cutting away