Liberty lift confusion!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

judderman

Reaction score
Hi all,

There's a lot of resources here which I've been browsing over the last few days since I put the deposit down on my 2004 Liberty 4x4. I keep coming to an impasse though, hopefully someone can help me out.

I'm looking for around a 3" lift (or 2.5" commonly advertised as 3" is fine), nothing extreme where I would need to do fab work like an SAS or something, but the Jeep is going to be used on my farm, it's small enough to get into the trails in the woods, cheaper and more capable for my needs than a UTV, and great to have a motor around for when we have guests especially during hunting season.

I have the following dilemma, this isn't my daily driver, so the lift I am trying to keep a budget on. I can see that the frankenlift will give me everything I need and pre-assembled but is a little outside my desired price range.

If I piece together the parts I think I can do it cheaper (and to be honest as it's not a daily I don't mind saving a little on shock quality etc) but I am having trouble finding anywhere that has the OME 948 rear springs in stock. Although I can find a 2948, is that right? Is there a suitable replacement? I saw that rocky road have a lift kit with rear springs and shocks for like 350.

So far as a parts list I have the following:
OME 927
OME 948 (can't find)
Bilstein 24-139368
Bilstein 24-185240
Bump stops - need part numbers... doing research!
Clevis spacer 0.375 - struggling to find a vendor

Thanks,

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
2948 are the exact same thing, just means two in a box is all
Stay away, totally away from Rocky Road
clevis lift stay at 3/8 inch, nothing needed just measure and tighten to required specs, or use 3 , 2 inch conduit nuts for measuring purposes
front bumpstops use Teraflex ones made for the KJ
rear use two hockey pucks per side bolted down to the lower spring perch
Frankenlift will give you waty over 3 inches and requires the jeepinbyal upper control arms as well

Not hard to figure out, all has been mentioned 1000s of times here and on LOSTJEEPs over the years

Why 3 inch ?? Just curious is all 927/948 combo gives you 2.5 inches of lift what is so special about 3 ??
and this comes from the guy who ran 4.5 inches for years on a daily driver LOL

front shocks the same as stock, bilsteins are good shocks
rear are Dodge Dakota CLUBCAB 4x4, has to be for a club cab 99-04

I've installed a ton of bilsteins over the years on KJs ride and handling are good

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks tommudd

Appreciate it's been said many times, there's almost too much information to get a clear picture, or I'm an idiot, it's been a long old time since I've modified a motor.
Just read most of my posts LOL
some people don't like my style but I just tell it like it is, like it or not
Lifted almost 60 KJs alone so have a bit of knowledge on them, well plus testing various lifts / heights on my 04 over the last 15 years

3 inches is a good overall height , not as much wear and tear on front suspension parts
do not need the aftermarket UCAs but is a worthwhile investment as I'm sure yours are getting bad if never replaced

judderman

Reaction score
Thanks tommudd

Appreciate it's been said many times, there's almost too much information to get a clear picture, or I'm an idiot, it's been a long old time since I've modified a motor.

3" is almost an arbitrary number I have come to like which I think will give me plenty of room to run 245/75r16, I like to have a bit of space left in the arch even at full compression and turning. I'll be backspacing or adding spacers also. (I know there's always a lot of conflict over wheel spacers, but it's not a daily and in the past I've had good luck with high quality ones).

Would love the 4.5" JBA lift it appears you have but it's a wee bit pricy, in fact I think it's more than I've paid for the whole rig.

Glad to know I am on the right lines, just need to fine tune my order, or really bite the bullet blow my budget and go frankenlift + UCAs

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not many frankenlifts left, they are doing away with them. Personally I would just go with the OMEs by themselves
245-75-16s are good size on stock wheels
or use 16X7 with 4 inches of backspacing

judderman

Reaction score
Appreciate it tommudd

Whilst I have your attention would you suggest using a clevis spacer, I just saw them on jeepinbyal, appreciate probably not an absolute necessity but maybe good cheap way to show that things aren't moving around or compressing back?

Think I've found almost everything I need for reasonable prices... looks like about $700 for the OME springs with Bilstein shocks, bump stops etc...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've always just used the 3 conduit nuts for measurement , leave them in and you can look and see if anything has moved
Marlin ( owner of JBA ) has sent me the rings he made , but never made any difference
I make the right side down tight to the conduit nuts, and left side leave up a bit , ( left side is always a bit lower on these things)

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Listen to Tom, he knows the junk. While you're considering your lift height you might also consider that you're likely sagging well below stock. If you're at -1 inch from stock now and add a 3 inch lift. That's 3 inches over stock which is 4 inches from where you started. Just something to consider. I've pretty much got the exact components your discussing and am very happy with results. I to suggest the jba upper arms, very nice.

judderman

Reaction score
Thanks very much, appreciate it, you make a good point, I'm sure it's definitely sagged as I think it's on original equipment.
Great to see there's plenty running this setup and happy with it!

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the clevis lift part, there's no need to even buy anything. I loosened the clamps, lifted the shock up, and used the end of a 3/8 allen wrench for the measurement. Then tightened the clamp down. They haven't slid at all in the 3ish years and 30,000ish miles they've been that way. There's just a gap there.

judderman

Reaction score
UPDATE: Everything is ordered, so hopefully next weekend between morning and afternoon hunts I'll be able to get this on!

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve read every thread I thought about lifts and learned something new today ; you can use spacers OR just lift the strut up out the fork. Thanks good to know

Last edited:

judderman

Reaction score
Cold weather in Houston has identified a couple of squeaks and creaks in the suspension. I suspect rear sway bars are one of these, should I just remove them with the lift? I’m sure I’ve seen that done on this forum...

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loose the rear sway bar. I was hesitant to do so, but glad I did. It does nothing but limit flex. Body roll no worse than it was before.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Cold weather in Houston has identified a couple of squeaks and creaks in the suspension. I suspect rear sway bars are one of these, should I just remove them with the lift? I’m sure I’ve seen that done on this forum...
Sway bar bushings in front will squeak real bad when cold weather sets in if they are weak
Yes loose the rear, ( sway bar ) my 04 lost hers before she was a 6 months old, been off over 14 1/2 years now
03 hasn't had one since I bought it 60,000 miles ago and did lift

judderman

Reaction score
I suppose I’ll order front sways and change them out whilst I’m under there.
Thanks for heads up on rears!

judderman

Reaction score
It’s not going well...
Any idea how to get the bushing out of the top of the Bilstein to get the new adapter in? I’ve tried a C clamp

judderman

Reaction score
Well the stock shock absorbers are back on because I need to make a start on the front, looks like I’ll be working that one out this week some time

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online