Liberty Handling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ikster

Reaction score
We are considering purchasing a Liberty to tow behind our motorhome. We have test driven a few and don't care for the freeway handling. The Liberty seems very sensitve and squirrely at freeway speeds. Is there any way of improving it and (I can't believe I'm saying this) making it less sensitive?
Thanks,
Ike

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Yes, a sports car it is not! Nor a touring car for some.
If I were not into the off road usage of this vehicle and it never left the pavement, then I would opt for a set of high performance touring tires.
Plenty to choose from, but it may take a few sets to find which one you like the most.
Also, consider a KJ with full time four wheel drive/All wheel drive. That too ought to help with the high/freeway performance.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few motorhomes/motorcoaches towing small SUV's behind them and I can't imagine why. The gas mileage of them is almost as bad as the motorhomes/motorcoach :D. For the record a stock Liberty typically gets 22 MPG and weighs about 5000 lbs.

If you're not planning to any offroading then perhaps you could choose a lighter 2WD car for a tow vehicle.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I've seen a few motorhomes/motorcoaches towing small SUV's behind them and I can't imagine why. The gas mileage of them is almost as bad as the motorhomes/motorcoach :D. For the record a stock Liberty typically gets 22 MPG and weighs about 5000 lbs.

If you're not planning to any offroading then perhaps you could choose a lighter 2WD car for a tow vehicle.

I think that for some it is more a statement of "Look at me...Look at how much money I have!
(In reality it is more like "Look at how much debt I'm in!)

The best thing I have ever seen was when Jennifer and I lived in Red Deer, Alberta.
And it is legal to do this in AB.
One Ford F750 Crew cab with 5th wheel 40+ triple axle RV.
Behind that? Well a 28-35 foot ski boat of course.
Then a tandem axle 30+ foot trailer with clear plastic sides so that everyone can see whats inside... ATV's, Dirt bikes, Jet ski X2.

No crap, real life. Ask my wife.
It even had Alberta license plates on it...
First thing Jen said was, He's either very short and has a very small pee-pee- henceforth suffering from severe "Little man syndrome", wealthy, or both, or the other option I am not allowed to post here!

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are considering purchasing a Liberty to tow behind our motorhome. We have test driven a few and don't care for the freeway handling. The Liberty seems very sensitve and squirrely at freeway speeds. Is there any way of improving it and (I can't believe I'm saying this) making it less sensitive?
Thanks,
Ike

When I first got my KJ I thought the same thing but when you get used to it, it is very stable.

Any time I let someone drive my Jeep I let them know right away that it will feel like a go-cart.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I've never heard nor had this complaint before. Last thing I'd ever describe the KJ as is sensitive or go-kart like. I guess it's all relative.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They only issue with my Liberty is faster 70 in the rain. Only then does it feel squirmy. Then again I am lifted with M/T's. If the Liberty you drove had the Wrangler ST's then that is the true problem, those tires scared the crap out of me especially when wet.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
They only issue with my Liberty is faster 70 in the rain. Only then does it feel squirmy. Then again I am lifted with M/T's. If the Liberty you drove had the Wrangler ST's then that is the true problem, those tires scared the crap out of me especially when wet.

It's squirmy at 170kmh in the rain as well! (woot)

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
LOL .. Ya when I get her up to 170 kph I feel a slight lack of control aswell ..

But seriously, I agree it might have been the tires or that the suspension components have worn. I'm not sure if you are purchasing new KK, in which the suspension should obviously not be a factor. I have experienced no squishy highway control. I mean you have to realize you are trying to push nearly 5000lbs around but it feels stable at all times. What vehicle do you generally drive? In other words what are you comparing it to?

I just switched from a Pontiac Vibe and while it got up and went a little faster there is no comparison in "control". The front wheel drive on the Vibe just never felt like it got enough grip, even with upgraded BFG Traction TA's. The Jeep grips the road like a freekin' tank by comparison. If I ever feel a little slippage ( I still have Wrangler ST's) up comes the 4HI lever and that problem is instantly solved. Don't get me wrong the Vibe is a very good vehicle for it's purposes and probably one of the nicest, in terms of fit and finish, cars GM has ever made (in it's class) but as far as control/security it can't even hope to match my new (to me) Jeep!

Glad to be out of the little black coffin and into something with some girth!

Peace All
Luke

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Jeepkj!

For the record a stock Liberty typically gets 22 MPG and weighs about 5000 lbs.

Bout a thousand lbs off there...

At times I have had that squirrely feel with my liberty but I guess you do get use to it. My Jeep has an OME lift, rims with less back spacing, and wider tires than stock so that makes my Jeep feel a heck of a lot more stable than any stock liberty.

Just remember the Liberty is a short wheel base JEEP, its not a car by all means. It is more Jeep than most of the new Jeeps today so its kinda crude, which is the way I like it. What year model Liberty did you test drive? They re-did them in 2008+.

Nice way to Greet the guy everyone.. :rolleyes:

And for everyone that doesnt understand, the reason you see a lot of Jeeps behind a motorhome is b/c you can put the T-case in N and disconnect the ****** from the drive-train.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I love it when people start comparing Jeeps to cars, funny as *ell

first thing everyone should do at 100 miles is get rid of the junk stock springs and shocks , upgrade with OMEs get a good set of tires and then it would handle. ride and be a whole lot better

Last edited:

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I will get flamed, but if I were looking for a 4WD to tow behind a motorhome, I'd look for a nice first-generation (pre-2002) Honda CRV. Lighter tow weight, good ground clearance, much better fuel mileage and utterly reliable. The only downside - my opinion, and the only reason I didn't buy one - is no locking transfer case.

Andy

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is fine at highway speeds. But I took the stock tires off and replaced them with a/t's. No complaints here.

Tires are everything (well almost). They are the only thing connecting you to the road.

Dave

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I guess I will get flamed, but if I were looking for a 4WD to tow behind a motorhome, I'd look for a nice first-generation (pre-2002) Honda CRV. Lighter tow weight, good ground clearance, much better fuel mileage and utterly reliable. The only downside - my opinion, and the only reason I didn't buy one - is no locking transfer case.

Andy

Nop, I won't flame you for that...

A Suzuki Side kick/ Geo tracker would be a good choice, even if not "brand new"

Then of course, wouldn't ANY vehicle handle better than a motorhome?headscratch.gif

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Andy
To bad no crv is a 4wd,only FWD with limited rear wheel assist and not so reliable,and no I'm not flaming just stating the truth.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always thought the KJ was very stable for an SUV, and I've still got the crappy Eagle RSA's. I do take things alot slower on bends in the rain, but that's because I know the tyres are no good for that, but in the dry they're fine. I've taken it up to 170-180 km/hr and it still feels stable, better than some cars I've owned.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nop, I won't flame you for that...

A Suzuki Side kick/ Geo tracker would be a good choice, even if not "brand new"

Then of course, wouldn't ANY vehicle handle better than a motorhome?headscratch.gif

A friend once had a 1st generation CRV. He complained that when you towed the consumption got really bad. He put it down to the small engine.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive had my 07 libby going flat out as fast as i could get it to go (between 107 and 115mphon a highway) i never felt squirely and it didnt rock around, even with the crappy tires it came with. it did feel twitchy and rocky when i first got it but i guess im used to that. i now have BFG mud terrains dry traction is about the same but weather wise they are far superior.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dido on the stock tires. they suck in the rain. that set aside though I think they are great in the snow and "ok" dry. I haven't had any other tires on mine yet though so that is purely from experience. As far as handling, the short wheel base causes the jerkyness and you'll soon get used to that. You just need to adjust your steering ratio in your brain if you will. I find my kj handles very well. I "hit my marks" on turns to take as much stress off the tires as possible. Just turn like a stock car driver, just not as fast. the less you move the wheel the better.

Latest posts

Members online