Liberty engines years that are able to be swapped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrich0908

Reaction score
Hi , im new here . Ive searched around but cant find what im looking for . I bought a mint , 05 liberty renegade with a horrible rod knock for a song . I was at my local scrap yard . They were telling me that only the motors from an 05 will fit an 05 why is this? Or was he mistaken

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi , im new here . Ive searched around but cant find what im looking for . I bought a mint , 05 liberty renegade with a horrible rod knock for a song . I was at my local scrap yard . They were telling me that only the motors from an 05 will fit an 05 why is this? Or was he mistaken

They are mistaken, TwoBobsKJ is more than likley the one to talk to, he has done some writeups on here as to what works / what doesn't and what it takes to make it work

Mrich0908

Reaction score
They are mistaken, TwoBobsKJ is more than likley the one to talk to, he has done some writeups on here as to what works / what doesn't and what it takes to make it work

I bought my 3.7 from chuck and eddies. Southington Connecticut. 1200.00$ 71,000 miles 6 month warranty and 400 for the jeep liberty renegade.
When we first talk . Me and the scrap yard they told me 2002 would only fit 2002 and 2005 kj 3.7 would only fit an 05 . I thought that was odd.
I want to get the best possible engine hp/ and MPG rating . Once he told me an 05 was all I could get that was out the window.
So what motors fit an 05?

Mrich0908

Reaction score
Here's the thread Tom was referring to from TwoBobsKJ. Great resource.

Link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/engine-swap-overview-53270/

So for you it looks like any 3.7L (not just from a KJ) 05 and up should "fit" without the reluctor ring swap. Might have to swap over some other minor stuff.

That guy at the salvage yard had no clue wtf he was talking about .
Cool thanks for the link , Im going to do some reading. Im used to sbc gen1 stuff. Any one do LSx swaps yet on there KJ ? Didnt see any. I seen some 4.7 swaps and sas was popular.
I have a full sized 97 yukon 6in lift ,35s , forged Gen I 383 stroker h.c.i. w/ gt45 turbo ls1 ecm and hp tuners. So most my know how is chevy.
Love the aftermarket support for jeep though .

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, any 3.7 '05 or later from any Chrysler product will fit your KJ. In the link above there's a section about what pieces/parts you'll need to swap over from your KJ engine to the new(er) engine if it didn't come from a KJ.

Since you have a Liberty with the new computer you'll have a ton of engine choices since your year and newer will all have the same reluctor ring and camshaft sprocket.

You're in good shape :waytogo:

Bob

Mrich0908

Reaction score
Yep, any 3.7 '05 or later from any Chrysler product will fit your KJ. In the link above there's a section about what pieces/parts you'll need to swap over from your KJ engine to the new(er) engine if it didn't come from a KJ.

Since you have a Liberty with the new computer you'll have a ton of engine choices since your year and newer will all have the same reluctor ring and camshaft sprocket.

Bob
Thats cool . Cant ask for anything more. Did different years make more power?
I have HP tuners also . Any ecm tuners here?

Mrich0908

Reaction score
None of the tuners are worth anything in the end, worthless really

I wasnt asking about tuners but if any members tuned their ecms here.
You need to read up on HP tuners. It will take your stock ecm and turn it into a stand alone ecm.
Yes I could theoretically add a turbo big injectors and remap the whole ecm for safe boost friendly engine .Change ignition timing camshaft vvt timing VE trans shift points adjust speedo for increased tires and gears re adjust your maf larger mafs map curve or remove maf and go sd adds inputs toyu ecm for things like wide band o2s data loging and over 4000 different parameters. Anything your ecm controls could be monitored and changed to suit your build. Your also able to swap in transmission and engine combination never offered by the factor as long as the ecm supports that motor and transmission.
Thats far from worthless. I use there software on my turbo sbc w/ ls1 ecm.

Last edited:

Mrich0908

Reaction score

Bob

Bob why didnt you use an ecm from a 05 or later rather than dismantling the motor? Seems like plugging in a new em would be allot easyier and cheaper than swaping reluctor rings.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bob why didnt you use an ecm from a 05 or later rather than dismantling the motor? Seems like plugging in a new em would be allot easyier and cheaper than swaping reluctor rings.

No way I was going to swap in a new computer with all the associated headaches that would create. There's incompatibility with the ****** computer for one, then I'm just getting started with wire harnesses, making sure I actually have a working BCM, etc.

Really, the swap of the reluctor ring and cam sprocket isn't that hard. By the time you get to the point of swapping over all the external components needed from the original engine you're sitting there looking at a basic long block. I just rotated the new engine on the engine stand, removed the bedplate from the bottom end then removed the crankshaft. The most tedious part of the job is getting all the timing marks aligned on the timing chains; bolting in the crank and the connecting rods isn't that big of a deal. A good torque wrench and Lucas assembly oil is your friend ;)

I'm good with mechanical stuff - me and electrical projects don't always get along :happy175:

Bob

Mrich0908

Reaction score
No way I was going to swap in a new computer with all the associated headaches that would create. There's incompatibility with the ****** computer for one, then I'm just getting started with wire harnesses, making sure I actually have a working BCM, etc.

Really, the swap of the reluctor ring and cam sprocket isn't that hard. By the time you get to the point of swapping over all the external components needed from the original engine you're sitting there looking at a basic long block. I just rotated the new engine on the engine stand, removed the bedplate from the bottom end then removed the crankshaft. The most tedious part of the job is getting all the timing marks aligned on the timing chains; bolting in the crank and the connecting rods isn't that big of a deal. A good torque wrench and Lucas assembly oil is your friend ;)

I'm good with mechanical stuff - me and electrical projects don't always get along :happy175:

Bob

I didnt know the computers were not a direct swap and the transmissions are different . That makes sense I dont blame you.
My new used engine was just dropped off.
Any suggestions on what gaskets I should replace or anything I should service before the motor goes back into the jeep? Any known problems I should address?

Last edited:

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped engines in my 05 , had a high mileage engine with low compression & swapped in a low mileage 05 engine that ran well . I swapped oil pans only because the engine I was installing had a dent , installed all new expansion plugs which wasn't really necessary because the ones that came out looked fine , installed a new rear main oil seal in the engine & new front torque converter seal in the transmission . Also installed new motor mounts because the originals didn't look that good .
Installed new spark plugs , new hoat coolant , new transmission filter & of course new engine oil & filter change . I bought a whole wrecked jeep to get the low mileage engine so I also swapped the alternator & power steering pump & hoses . The ac didn't have any pressure in my 05 which turned out to be a leaking condenser so I swapped the condenser & compressor & charged the system .
The serpentine belt , tensioner & pulleys checked good on the low mileage engine so I didn't replace those , you might want to check yours & replace if necessary . I'm probably forgetting something but this is at least a partial list of what I did .

If I'm not mistaken the 02's & 03's had a pcm system that was changed to a different system in 04 which included the reluctor rings . I know the pcm in my 02 has three wiring harness plugs & the 05 has four . Much simpler if crossing those years to swap reluctor rings than fooling with the wiring harness IMO . My understanding is most , if not all , 3.7's from 02 up will work by swapping some parts , reluctor rings , intake & exhaust manifolds , etc .

Last edited:

Mrich0908

Reaction score
Much simpler if crossing those years to swap reluctor rings than fooling with the wiring harness IMO ..

Ya sounds like it . I didnt realize jeep engineers changed the wiring harness , transmission and sensors.
Thanks for the list .
I wasnt sure if the motors had a notorious problem that would be easier to swap now then later. Thats why I asked.
You guys have been awesome and very helpful thank you.

Last edited:

Richard D Queen

Reaction score
Ok,I've got a '02 liberty with the 3.7 & from what I'm hearing they're destined to fail no matter what...
And when swapping it out with another 3.7(which I *hopefully* don't plan on replacing with another '02 engine),what other years are compatible WITHOUT having to change the reluctor ring etc. other than the '02? A few years ago I'd be able to do all that,but since recently being diagnosed with 'Bone marrow disease' & being limited on funds to a certain point are there any years that I DON'T have to go thru all that with a long block? ANY help would greatly be awesomely appreciated. Thank you

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you just planning ahead thinking the engine WILL fail? Not all 3.7's fail. Unless I let my engine go into nuclear overheat, I believe the engine will outlast the Jeep.

Reaction score
Ok,I've got a '02 liberty with the 3.7 & from what I'm hearing they're destined to fail no matter what...
And when swapping it out with another 3.7(which I *hopefully* don't plan on replacing with another '02 engine),what other years are compatible WITHOUT having to change the reluctor ring etc. other than the '02? A few years ago I'd be able to do all that,but since recently being diagnosed with 'Bone marrow disease' & being limited on funds to a certain point are there any years that I DON'T have to go thru all that with a long block? ANY help would greatly be awesomely appreciated. Thank you

Not sure what you've read but the 3.7 is a fairly sturdy engine if you keep up the maintenance. Mines at 184K miles and still runs like a charm. Really only way you can trash the engine is if you neglect the cooling system and it overheats.

Richard D Queen

Reaction score
Oh ok,right on. I've just heard A LOT of negative things on the 3.7 & was trying to think ahead. But I've also heard the '04 version of the 3.7 was a smidge healthier than the '02. If I'm mistaken I can accept that. And no I'm not thinking it will fail,becoz that can happen to ANY engine at ANY time, correct? I was just trying to think of the better options before I put one in & THEN find out there was a better option.

Richard D Queen

Reaction score
But basically I can replace it with the same year model without me having to go thru all the change overs & reluctor ring,cam gear swap overs & everything?

Randal Davis

Reaction score
im pretty much going thru the same thing, I have a 04 limited body that is in better shape than my o5 sport.
But the 04 motor was broke down to just the block, the body itself on the 04 has 192k on it, and my motor in my 05 only has 14k on it..
Im not sure what all that is unexpected that i have to do in order to take 05 sport motor and put it in to the 04 limited body.
I hope i have to do nothing, but i really have not found anything on motor swaps, other than a write up on the site here about take a 07 3.7 from a dodge and implanting it in to a liberty ..

I hope someone has some good info for me, Would like to find a swap by year information ..