Liberty 2006 CRD Engine Starting Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeep_Man

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (Diesel)

I'm having Engine startup issues. When I turn the key the engine just cranks & cranks
and never starts.

Sometimes I can wait a day or two & I can get it started and once I get it started
the Jeep runs good. I had two times were the engine just quick going down the highway.

I was wondering what this could be & what you guys recommend me checking?

I have changed the fuel filter but no luck

I appreciate the feedback

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Probably air in the fuel system.

Check the filter to make sure it's tight enough, sometimes the old filter seal gets left on too. Go through the bleed process at the filter head again. If that doesn't do it there might be air in the lines going to the injectors. I've read that bleeding air at the first injector helps. Yours is willing to run fine sometimes so I'd just bleed at the filter head. If the driver's side wiring connector on the filter head isn't blue you might have an old plastic filter head which should be replaced. The fuel heating element can melt the plastic and leak fuel and air. Give the filer head a scratch with a knife; if paint comes off, it's metal.

Try pumping up the fuel pressure with the filter head pump without opening the bleed screw before you fire it up in the morning.

The fuel lines allow air in at the tank and along the fuel lines. Many mods to cure these air sources at LOSTJEEPS.

Last edited:

mrhemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the first responder said, absolutely. OP does not indicate location nor what the temperature is. If you are in a colder climate, you may have glow plug issues. Have you tried plugging in the block heater for a few hours and then attempt starting it? Also, if you haven't yet, go to Lost Jeeps and read the "Noob Guide" in the "Love that torque" section.

Pol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also could ba a cracked high pressure fuel line.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

foxhunter

Reaction score
all the previous posters said and the crankshaft position sensor can be a problem. just went thru this with my 06. if you pump up the fuel filter and crack the 11mm bleed screw and air shoots out like mine did you know where the problem is most likely.

I replaced the fuel head with upgraded omen (blue plug) take 30 minutes, next a lift pump goes into the tank the way the system was originally designed and I have a crankshaft sensor on order. I am leaving little to chance.

UPDATE, it was the cps sensor, changed it and it runs fine, still going to do the lift pump. AutoZone on the cps 52.00 made by borsch and comes with lifetime warranty. mine would start ok and die during warm up (sometimes) or just wouldn't start after a 10 mile trip. let it set for 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online