liberty 2002 engine to 2006

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sadoon

Reaction score
hi guys i am new here from saudi arabia i have liberty 2006 manual trans without enging in it (disassmbled) .... and i have liberty 2002 with good engine auto trans
the question is can i transfer the engine from 2002 to 2006 engine only
what the change between engines i heard is a camshaft or somthing like that

thanks in advance

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No.. it's not that nobody knows... it's that ASSUMING your Liberty's in Saudi Arabia are the same as ours in the US market, the information you seek is already on this forum, about 5 times. You just have to look for it and use the search function on the website.

It's more than just a camshaft.

Plus, I'd make sure it's actually legal in your country to do this. In some of the states here in the US, placing an older engine into a newer vehicle is not allowed. In other states, no one cares and you can put whatever you want into whatever you want (provided you can make it run and work).

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is about a newer engine in an older body but may give some insight:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/engine-swap-overview-53270/

Yes, the issue you're dealing with will be the opposite of the details in the engine swap thread. Basically you need to take the cam sprocket and crankshaft reluctor ring from your 2006 engine and put them in the 2002 engine. The computers are different between the model years you're dealing with.

Not that you need to read the thread shown above backwards but all the info is there :waytogo:

Keep us posted on what you end up doing!

Bob

sadoon

Reaction score
When I see the engines are same maybe different in some sensors i will take it from 2006 engine and don't know about pcm ( 782AG) number manual trans

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I see the engines are same maybe different in some sensors i will take it from 2006 engine

Correct. The engine blocks are the same but there are different sensors and the wire harness will be different but the block is the same.

Bob

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I will change all sensors from 2006 to 2002 engine

It's not just the sensors that are plugged into the engine... as was said, the camshaft and crankshaft reluctor rings are different... so you need to open up at least one engine and remove those parts to install the ones from your 06 (or new ones FOR an '06).

If you just swap the coolant, camshaft & crankshaft position, etc sensors... it still wont run.

sadoon

Reaction score
I found reluctor that different the 2002 has 12 teeth and the 2006 has like 30 or 33 teeth end of crankshaft I will change it and build the engine
Thank you for your help

sadoon

Reaction score
I think middle East liberty don't have EGR included coz I don't see EGR in both engines ... will see and make sure about your point

Latest posts

Members online