leveling wifes dd jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sully

Reaction score
so as bein new to the forum sorry if i ask any stupid questions. its an 02 with 155000 an i was gunna install the heavy metal ott spacers i just got an get it lined up just cuz we hate the raked look of it. guess my question really is is all the nagative talk about coil crushers or does it apply to a 1.5 ott spacer also?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wasting your money on ANY type of OTT or spacer lift SEND THEM BACK
At 155,000 you are over 100,000 miles past being due for all new springs and shocks
Measure the left front on level ground,
from very middle of the wheel ( hub area ) to the bottom of the flare and report back and let us know what you get

sully

Reaction score
so as bein new to the forum sorry if i ask any stupid questions. its an 02 with 155000 an i was gunna install the heavy metal ott spacers i just got an get it lined up just cuz we hate the raked look of it. guess my question really is is all the nagative talk about coil crushers or does it apply
Wasting your money on ANY type of OTT or spacer lift SEND THEM BACK
At 155,000 you are over 100,000 miles past being due for all new springs and shocks
Measure the left front on level ground,
from very middle of the wheel ( hub area ) to the bottom of the flare and report back and let us know what you get

to a 1.5 ott spacer also?

thanks for the reply tom. it sits just under 31 1/2 in front an just over 33 1/2 rear, i was told it had heavy rear springs an hd shocks installed in 2012 with a receiver hitch. i agree with u that the front springs an shocks are worn but it dont drive bad an as i understood an ott will not make it drive any different cuz im not smashin the springs as a coil spacer does. regardless 60 bucks for spacers 50 bucks to get it lined doesnt seem like money wasted to me.
thanks again

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So you have over 12 inches of lift in front with your measurements
Now go back and measure the way I stated

The OTT will in fact press more on worn out springs, who told you such nonsense ?
And it is in fact money wasted as it will make the stacked springs even worse

sully

Reaction score
thanks for the reply tom. it sits just under 31 1/2 in front an just over 33 1/2 rear, i was told it had heavy rear springs an hd shocks installed in 2012 with a receiver hitch. i agree with u that the front springs an shocks are worn but it dont drive bad an as i understood an ott will not make it drive any different cuz im not smashin the springs as a coil spacer does. regardless 60 bucks for spacers 50 bucks to get it lined doesnt seem like money wasted to me.
thanks again
my bad. those #s were ground to flare. hub to flare is 18 1/2 front 20 1/2 rear

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So you are 1/2 or better lower than new stock height
You need new front springs and shocks
Either that or you dislike your wife and don't care how her KJ rides and handles :)

And don't say it drives fine, have driven enough of them ( before upgrading them ) to know how they ride and handle with stacked springs and worn out shocks

with worn out suspension the springs and shocks work harder on every little bump
trying to lift it with any spacer lift will not only give more wear but also a worse ride
Heck you are talking about cheap you can do a clevis lift to gain 3/4 inch for free, but of course still have worn out suspension

sully

Reaction score
So you are 1/2 or better lower than new stock height
You need new front springs and shocks
Either that or you dislike your wife and don't care how her KJ rides and handles :)

And don't say it drives fine, have driven enough of them ( before upgrading them ) to know how they ride and handle with stacked springs and worn out shocks

what would be ur suggestion on the rite way to gain 2-2.5 in front from where it sits now?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
what would be ur suggestion on the rite way to gain 2-2.5 in front from where it sits now?
OME 927 springs and either OME or Bilstein shocks
Have installed over 55 sets of them and work great giving you 2.5 inches of lift over new stock height
Ride and handling is way better than any KJ was brand new

sully

Reaction score
OME 927 springs and either OME or Bilstein shocks
Have installed over 55 sets of them and work great giving you 2.5 inches of lift over new stock height
Ride and handling is way better than any KJ was brand new

so if i were to go that route now im gettin im prob 3/4 or more taller in front then i want it compared to the back. is a small coil spacer in back considered aceptable?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well you could but it would be like having a new running shoe on on your right foot and with a worn out work boot on the left foot

If you only want a small lift then go OME 926s in front, will give you about 1.5 inches over new stock height then add an extra upper iso above the rear springs
Rear would work for a while with small lift like that

sully

Reaction score
Well you could but it would be like having a new running shoe on on your right foot and with a worn out work boot on the left foot

If you only want a small lift then go OME 926s in front, will give you about 1.5 inches over new stock height then add an extra upper iso above the rear springs
Rear would work for a while with small lift like that

thanks for all info tom i fully get what u sayin an know u know what u talkin about. guess im at a point where just leave it be or make a snowball an find a big hill. lol.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks for all info tom i fully get what u sayin an know u know what u talkin about. guess im at a point where just leave it be or make a snowball an find a big hill. lol.
Just buy parts little at a time
When I bought my 04 brand new , took me a few months to buy everything to lift it
( couldn't stand the mishy mashy ride even brand new )

sully

Reaction score
Just buy parts little at a time
When I bought my 04 brand new , took me a few months to buy everything to lift it
( couldn't stand the mishy mashy ride even brand new )

i hear u thats how i have to do most any project i undertake. lol.

sully

Reaction score
i hear u thats how i have to do most any project i undertake. lol.

hello tom thanks for all the info apreceate it. so what would u suggest for strut caps an is there a part# for bilsteins?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
top mount can be reused no problem
When you take springs in and the coil over to a shop they'll compress the old springs, pop out the old shock and reassemble
If you want new the Moog K 3189/3190 are the parts numbers
K3186 is the number for the Coil Spring Insulator, ( need 4 ) if yours look bad /worn out

sully

Reaction score
top mount can be reused no problem
When you take springs in and the coil over to a shop they'll compress the old springs, pop out the old shock and reassemble
If you want new the Moog K 3189/3190 are the parts numbers
K3186 is the number for the Coil Spring Insulator, ( need 4 ) if yours look bad /worn out
an i have worn upper ballpoints seems crazy not to upgrade them to. as i add up parts wonderin if it make more sense to just save up an buy sumthin like rockfother delux or the like for $1200 $1400?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
an i have worn upper ballpoints seems crazy not to upgrade them to. as i add up parts wonderin if it make more sense to just save up an buy sumthin like rockfother delux or the like for $1200 $1400?
OH HECK NO on anything from Rocky Road , you can do it cheaper and better

sully

Reaction score
OH HECK NO on anything from Rocky Road , you can do it cheaper and better
thanks again for all the advice tom its really helping me sort out rite an wrong ways of lifting these libertys. so im pretty well decided on ome 927s. will bilstein 4600s or only 5100s work an is there a benefit to 5100 if so? should i just buy autopartstore upper control arms? sorry for all questions an keep in mind my goal is a better drivein jeep that sits level offroad capability is not the goal.