Leg Room?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ratcals

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I just bought a 2006 Liberty about six weeks ago and absolutely love it. So much so I'm considering selling my impractical 2002 Corvette to buy another Liberty .

I do have one complaint about it and that is driver's side leg room. Basically there isn't enough and I'm only 6'1". A friend of mine has a 2004 and it has more leg room but he says it came that way. Is there a difference in the amount of leg room between model years and is there anything I can do to get a little more in mine?

Thanks in advance.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
There is a difference in the seats, but no difference in official legroom measurements... Maybe that difference right there is enough to be noticeable. I too noticed a slightly less amount of room due to the newer seats.

The '02-'04 seats were softer, so maybe that's the difference right there?

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
i have noticed a height difference with power seats over manual seats. my manual seats sit lower than my SILs power seats.

ratcals

Reaction score
Do you think raising or lowering the seat will help? My friend is away at the moment so I can't measure the height of his seat.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you that our '03 Limited seems to have a better softer seat than an '03 sport also the limited seats seem to sit higher
Limited = power & leather
sport = none of the above

I am 5' 10" and have no problem with driver side leg room
I have found that I can put my legs strait out of I go on side of the break pedal
now the passenger seat ***** if you have a baby seat behind it
it is so bad that we will probably not take the KJ on any trip over 3-4 hours but rather rent a bigger SUV
I think we need to buy a Commander with a V8 and tow the TJ

BNJ-KJ

Reaction score
I'm 6'4" so the no leg room had to be fixed, this is what I did. In mine there was a stupid foot rest beside the brake pedal. I pulled back the carpet and ripped out the foam that made the foot rest. That gave me 3-4" more of leg room. I also custom made some seat extension brackets. My seat now goes back an additional 3" beyond the stock seat. I also made the front brackets thicker to give the chair a little rake also. The liberty is much more comfortable to drive now and I have plenty of room to stretch.

BNJ-KJ

Reaction score
I didn't put a write up on lost. I may do one this weekend and give you a pic of how far back the seat goes. 3" is more than you think. With the seat all the way back, I can't touch the firewall anymore. I've got long arms but now I need a telescoping steering wheel.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK someone else did and also showed how to make the brackets its under fabrication just forgot who it was sorry. So go there and no need to redo

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I found that switching out to power seats gave my wife more legroom... not sure exactly why, and its definitely anecdotal, but she's happier so I'm happier.

On a tangent, I just bought a new carseat for my older daughter to give HER more legroom (or better put, to help avoid her kicking me in the back constantly)

-Blu

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have noticed a height difference with power seats over manual seats. my manual seats sit lower than my SILs power seats.

Are you serious? I've never sat in a Liberty with power seats but I find my manual seat to be high. I can't imagine it being any higher!

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you serious? I've never sat in a Liberty with power seats but I find my manual seat to be high. I can't imagine it being any higher!

The power seats in my 2007 will let you sit anywhere from just about on the floor to mashing your head into the roof.

ratcals

Reaction score
I bought the Big Boy Brackets from http://www.misch4x4.com/ and put them in today. I now have at least an additional 4" of leg room. I'm more than happy with them. Their web page does not show the brackets for the Liberty so you have to call them. They also only do them for the driver's side of the vehicle.

I don't have access to the necessary tools to make my own brackets so this was money well spent.

Last edited: