LED interior lighting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So decided that the factory interior lighting just wasn't doing the job. Picked up a few LED replacement bulbs for the map lights and rear cargo light. Tested them and they are BRIGHT. Ran into a problem though. The rear cargo light doesn't shut off fully if the key is in the ignition. When you open the door or turn the switch on and the light is on as it should be. But regardless of what you do the light glows dimly if the key is in the ignition. Doesn't matter if the engine is running or not. Sort of annoying to have the glow in the mirror at night.

I think it is due to the BCM and how it monitors the rear light switch to determine if you want the courtesy lights on/off. I'm thinking that I might install a small relay in place of the bulb and use it to turn the lights on/off.

Just wondered if anyone else had tried LEDs inside and had the same issue?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So decided that the factory interior lighting just wasn't doing the job. Picked up a few LED replacement bulbs for the map lights and rear cargo light. Tested them and they are BRIGHT. Ran into a problem though. The rear cargo light doesn't shut off fully if the key is in the ignition. When you open the door or turn the switch on and the light is on as it should be. But regardless of what you do the light glows dimly if the key is in the ignition. Doesn't matter if the engine is running or not. Sort of annoying to have the glow in the mirror at night.

I think it is due to the BCM and how it monitors the rear light switch to determine if you want the courtesy lights on/off. I'm thinking that I might install a small relay in place of the bulb and use it to turn the lights on/off.

Just wondered if anyone else had tried LEDs inside and had the same issue?

Seems all who have done that have the same issue. Not enough resistance in the LED bulbs . Install an in line resister

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do this because they issue approximately 1/10th of the power standard bulbs use

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put the incan back in the rear dome and live with it. I still get a very slight glow from the front dome LEDs but not very noticeable. They really do make a huge improvement over the factory incans.

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I know it's a common issue I'll play with some pieces and see if there is a good work around that doesn't involve adding resistance, which sort of defeats the reason for using the LEDs in the first place IE: lower current draw.

featherlight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using these: Amazon
$12 (free shipping with Prime)
No flicker and no issues with them remaining dim when turned off.:party52:
You must be registered for see images attach

You want to make sure that they are CANBUS compatible; a lot of the German cars require these too. The cheaper ones usually aren't compatible and will flicker or stay very dimly lit. There are even some nice 2-stage LEDs for brake lights (that are actually dim and then bright when braking), but they are something like $20 a pair.

Last edited:

derost

Reaction score
I put in Yorkim canbus "error free" bulbs I got on Amazon and am also having the same problem. I thought for sure the canbus bulbs would solve the issue but as mentioned they are still dimly on. The map lights aren't too distracting, but the rear dome light certainly is. Would really love to hear a fix as I really enjoy, and need, the extra light they produce.

Doug.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It happens with cheap LEDs
I got higher end ones and they still do it- even tried to put a resistor in the circuit and it didn't do anything so I got used to the dim light

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The BCM controls the interior and exterior lights by grounding the circuits,it's all resistance based and LED's do not have enough resistance for the BCM to fully turn off while running.

I would not add any resistors for the interior,they get hot and are a major fire hazard when placed in the interior.Either live with them being on very dim(like most do) or go back to regular bulbs.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't replace the driver's floor light, leave in the stock one. This will give the system the needed resistance or whatever the electrical term is so the lights function correctly. I just did this myself a month ago, love the overhead and cargo LED's, back seat is still to dang dark with no lights there.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't replace the driver's floor light, leave in the stock one. This will give the system the needed resistance or whatever the electrical term is so the lights function correctly. I just did this myself a month ago, love the overhead and cargo LED's, back seat is still to dang dark with no lights there.

There's a floor light?

I replaced the maps (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014K7F2SI) and the rear (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013TXLTRM) w/LED and not the floor light and live with the dim lights. You get used to it.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a floor light?

I replaced the maps (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014K7F2SI) and the rear (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013TXLTRM) w/LED and not the floor light and live with the dim lights. You get used to it.

Might be a Limited upgrade but willing to bet the wiring is there on all models. Passenger side is recessed in a round hole about 2 inches from the front of the glove box. Driver side is centered and recessed as well, more so though thus part of the reason a brighter light doesn't help.

Can't imagine not having LEDS in now after using them all summer. the brightness level is just amazing.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

Attachments

• bNhehIk.jpg
    bNhehIk.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 1

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced cargo light with:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M5EN6O3/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

and Map/Reading lights with:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XYBFWRV/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

Very bright (might be to much light for some...), with no glowing
The Map Reading lights are a bit huge, but can be installed.
Have them for a week, so far so good.
No need to upgrade courtesy lights, there is enough light as it is...

Holy crap that's a huge cargo light. Get calls from the airport tower to turn them off?

I'd be worried about heat with that many LEDs in the cargo light box.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.